Ruger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Emperor
885 Posts
The center of the rear peep aperture of my TSR200RL sight sits right about .75" above the top of the receiver. That is the center of the hole, not the distance to the top of the aperture post.

But I have the rail-mounted version of the TSR200. Tech Sight provides a front sight with a slightly taller front post for the TSR200RL version than they do for the TSR200 that screws directly onto the receiver top. I take that to be an indication that the TSR200RL mounts just a little higher than the TSR200 rear sight. But the difference in front sight post height is not very much, so I don't think there will be a great difference.

I have never heard of anyone complaining that the Tech Sights mounted too low to be easily used.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It seems to me -- just using a bit of reasoning; no real information known -- that since the Tech Sights are modeled after AR sights, and since the latter are straight stocks, they should be great.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
For reasons I'll explain another time (perhaps; it boils down to $), I'm back to considering getting this stock instead of springing immediately for the Tech Sights.

So I just want to double check, because I can't quite get a proper angle on the pics at the site: this is a drop comb stock, right?

If so, I may spring sooner than later. Just less than $30 shipped. That's a great deal.

Edited to add: Nevermind. I found a pic there. Yes, def drop comb. I put the image down below. I really like that look.

RR is right, they have the exact same stock that was on Ebay, but a whole lot less expensive.

https://sapoutfitters.com/product/ruger-10-22-oem-factory-synthetic-stock-charcoal/

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And! ... the same site sells new current stocks for the Compact, just like mine, for $55. More than I expected. They are currently out of stock.

So I'm guessing I could put my current one up for sale -- maybe in the classifieds of this forum or on eBay -- for, what, $25 plus shipping (? :confused:) -- and mostly pay for the replacement. Hmm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm glad you found a solution that will work for you. For myself, I'm happy with my stock. With my cheek pressed against the comb my eye lines up perfectly. I guess I have high cheekbones. Hey, maybe I'm part Amerindian? Oh Lizzie...

https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/images/31115.jpg

By the way, the drop comb is called "Euro style" while the straight comb is called "American style". Just sayin'...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Love that stock. The green on the black barrel rocks. :cool:

Eventually, once I can afford the Tech Sights at the same time as a new stock, I want to add what I think is the Hogue equivalent.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
By the way, the drop comb is called "Euro style" while the straight comb is called "American style".
Good info. And interesting. Guessing there's some history there ...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
... also in ODG, doesn't scream for attention. Most people never notice...it's a pretty subtle statement.
That's one among several reasons -- but not the top -- that I eventually want that Hogue overmolded stock in ODG on mine. (I'd buy that stock even if it didn't come in green. Anything but pink. :eek: ) Rifles that are all black -- even if they are .22 LR -- make some uneasy these days. It's that EBR reputation. Green softens the image a bit. Maybe I should put some green grips on my LCRx when I get it. :rolleyes:

Where I live now it's less an issue; hunters are thick in this region. But next year, I hope to be spending some time with it in a region that's ... let's say, for now, a little less comfortable with rifles, I suspect, so ...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My new OEM drop comb stock will arrive Saturday.

I can already see a new sight picture with it.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
Take a close look at that stock when you get it. I very recently bought an "optics ready" 10/22 exactly like the rifle in the photo you posted. This rifle has a tapered "carbine" barrel with no front sight, the Ruger accessory rail is pre-mounted on the receiver, and the synthetic stock has no barrel band and has impressed "checkering" at the pistol grip and fore-end.

The stock itself is nice but the one I got was improperly molded with insufficient clearance at the cut out for the trigger assembly. Even with the safety exactly centered, there was not enough room to allow the barreled assembly to be removed from the stock without the ends of the safety cylinder rubbing on the stock. In fact, the clearance was so insufficient that the ends of the safety actually had to force the sides of the stock cut out apart to allow the trigger assembly to come out.

The first time I removed the barreled action I did not appreciate this problem. I never had this issue with any other Ruger wood or synthetic stock. But because the barreled action usually comes out of the stock at an angle, with the barrel coming out first, when the safety lever gets trapped by the sides of the stock cut out, the safety lever actually gets rotated a bit as the action comes out.

If the Ruger 10/22 safety lever gets rotated, you will be unable to release the cocked hammer with the trigger. You will be able to push the safety from one side to the other, but it will not have any positive detents to hold it in the on and off positions. The only way to release the tension on the hammer spring and remove the hammer will be to push out the hammer pin with the hammer cocked. And rotating the safety lever back into the correct orientation usually requires completely or near completely disassembling the trigger assembly to get the hammer, trigger, and sear out of the way so that you can depress a little detent ball and spring that want to prevent the safety lever from rotating back. This can be a challenge for those who have never disassembled the trigger assembly.

The problem is not difficult to fix once it is recognized. The clearance for the trigger assembly can easily be increased on the synthetic stock with files and some sand paper. But shame on Ruger for allowing a stock like that to leave the factory. Even if the problem with my stock was a "one-off" it should have been appreciated when the barreled action was assembled in the stock.

Hopefully, your stock won't have that issue. But if they all come out of the same mold, it well could. If you have something like a caliper, measure the total width of the safety cylinder on your trigger assembly. Then measure the width of the cut out at the bottom of the stock that the safety will have to pass through in the centered position. If it looks as if the clearance is insufficient, either send the stock back, or modify it before you insert the barreled action.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Pblanc, thanks for another informative post.

I'll definitely focus on that when the stock arrives Saturday, and pay attention before I drop it in.

I'm hoping that mine doesn't suffer that problem. I'm guardedly optimistic because the web site claims the following on the page for these stocks: "These are factory take-offs; removed from brand new Ruger 10/22 carbines right as they come out of the box." I can't really understand why this would be done -- distributor bought the guns to put another stock on it then sells the original? -- but it seems clear enough.

As a result of that being in print, I suspect that if there was a problem with the stock, the company could be compelled to send me a better one. And judging from the quality of their web site, and their description as a family owned business, I predict they are people of integrity.

But I'm also betting that you are not the only one to experience the issue, so having it here for good measure is a good thing.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,948 Posts
Following this thread with interest, as I'm mostly into shotgunning nowadays rather than rifles and pistols, and the issues you're having are even more significant for shotgunners.

You might find "The Stock Fitter's Bible" by Rollin Oswald fascinating even though it's specifically about scatterguns.

Some people are lucky and their face fits their gun "off the rack" but most don't. Common guns like the Remington 870 are made to fit the "average" person but for me, all I see is the back of the receiver so I must have high cheek bones. (Insert your favorite Elizabeth Warren joke here! :rolleyes: )

Shotgun shooters put a lot of time and money into adjustments with the goal being that your head and neck are in a natural, comfortable, upright position when you have the shelf of your cheek bone (not your teeth!) resting solidly (aka repeatably) on the comb. And your eyes should be looking forward. Nothing should be strained or contorted. Some folks who need prescription shooting glasses even have them made so the optical center of the dominant eye's glass is right where the eye is looking when the gun is mounted, to eliminate the distortion of looking through another part of the lens.

Again, not quite so critical for a rifle but like you say, why twist up like a pretzel? Especially if you're hunting small game requiring quick, snap shots where the sights line up quickly and naturally.

You are on the right track. You've got to either get the comb lower or the sights higher. Depending upon the shape of your body and the length of your neck and arms, you might still find that the butt stock is also too low to avoid craning your neck, even if you have the comb at the right height in relation to the sights.

I see someone does make fully adjustable 10/22 stocks, but just like with trap and skeet shotguns, more adjustments means big dollars....

https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1113

Welcome to the expensive world of gun fit.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
You are on the right track. You've got to either get the comb lower or the sights higher. Depending upon the shape of your body and the length of your neck and arms, you might still find that the butt stock is also too low to avoid craning your neck, even if you have the comb at the right height in relation to the sights.
Thanks for the encouragement. I've learned lots here. Good points, and I got a couple of good chuckles reading your post.

Indeed, I think my body shape is part of the challenge for me. Here's a recent snap shot of me at the gym.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
New full-length LOP drop-comb stock arrived today

I haven't shot with it yet, and can't today -- still at work and rain tomorrow. Probably Monday. But so far, I'm totally happy with it.

Well, OK, not totally. The quality of the original on the Compact is noticeably better in terms of feel and finish, even though I prefer the more powdery color of the new one.

But the sighting issue that started this thread is also noticeably improved. It allows me to drop my cheekbone down more easily now without craning my neck. It's not perfect, but close enough for now. (I suspect I'll get closer to "perfect" once I get the Tech Sights on it with a Hogue stock.)

And I'm happy to report to Pblanc that the receiver dropped right in with only minor fiddling with the safety. (Like always happens: balancing that safety half-way on/off is challenging, though I feel I'm getting better at it. But if I could change one thing about the 10/22, it be to have the safety on the tang.)

You can get a peek at it in my avatar, just updated a few minutes ago. The revolver is probably obvious: LCRx in .38 spl -- my next gun and I'm already pining for it. I see that duo as my two main kit guns for the next few years, always in base camp or where ever the camp is at the time. The sling on the 10/22 arrived yesterday -- an Allen Cascade -- and I love it; solves two problems I was having with my older Quake Claw.

Once I figure out which photo hosting service to use, I'll post up some full-sized photos of this project.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
24 Posts
katahdin-1022 great info here, Iam a new member here. And can appreciate your budget minded attitude. My fix was I ordered the Tech sight front only at 20 something dollars and the Utg mnt 910 rear sight for 18 dollars and put the stock ruger rail on the reciever to mount the UTG rear. A added benefit was if you mount a trs 25 red dot you get a 1/3 co witness. The UTG is well made and is adjustable for windage and elev. Geeting late post a pic tomorrow.

https://imgur.com/DAMfEsH

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Bret Van, I like your idea a lot. I'm leaving my sights as they are for now -- on a mission to get my EC9s next week -- but when I get ready to change them, I'll revisit this thread and your ideas. Thanks.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts