Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been to the range a couple times now with my new SBH. The first time was with a box of 44 specials....no big deal ...just to see if it goes off. My second outing I shot a dozen or so 44 mags. I adjusted the sights for windage and elevation at twenty five yards. My groups ....well they aren't groups at all. Im sure its the way Im holding the revolver....

Should my grip be firm trying to hold the recoil "down"....or should I just let the gun roll when it goes off? Single action Revolvers in Magnum stuff is new to me...I feel pretty good hitting the paper off hand...but I want to make sure Im "training" up correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
This is a subject with many opinions. I tend to get a good grip with the handle firmly in my fist, and use the weak hand as a support, but not squeezing against my strong hand. Grip can change a little with bench shooting, standing, strong hand, weak, etc. The thing is to get a comfortable grip without 'strangling the chicken'. Line of recoil should be straight back through the hand and into the wrist. With a bisley gripframe the gun will "roll" more in the hand. Repeatablity of the grip is important to grouping. Anticipation of recoil and associated flinching will destroy your group sizes.

·
Banned
723 Posts
As was already said, "repeatability of the grip is important to grouping."

With that said, and I agree with that, I find that letting the gun "roll" under recoil is the most effective way of handling the recoil on a Single Action Revolver. What I do is "tuck" my little finger under the grip. This gives me a lower grip on the gun, but allows the gun to "roll" which I find more pleasurable on hard kicking guns like .44 Mag or "hot" 45 Colt.

To me, a "hot" 45 Colt is some of the old Black Powder loads like Wyatt Earp used. It also creates it's own smokescreen, which can be "handy" in a gunfight. :)

Biker

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have tried both grip styles. I have been a long time S&W revolver shooter, so when I took my Blackhawk to the range, I tried to hold on to it just like I would the S&W. Old habits can be hard to break. It just didn't feel right, though. I tried the pinky under the grip as well, but that was only marginally better.

With the Blackhawk, I just use a firm, but not crushing, grip and let the entire pistol rotate in my hand instead of trying to direct the recoil with my wrist and forearm. Using medium oomph .45 Colt handloads, I put 100 downrange and my hand wasn't sore at all. Also, letting the revolver rotate sets everything up nicely to cock the hammer on the way back.

Oh, forgot the mention, this is one-handed shooting. I haven't quite found the right grip for two-handed, yet.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have for years now tucked my little finger under the grip frame and used a relatively firm grip. Not a death grip, but it aint going to jump out of my hands either. Works for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pinky under grip, firm hold, let 'er move my hand, wrist & forearm up on recoil. Everything falls right back soon enough for another shot.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My method is to grip my sixgun firmly with my right hand, little finger under the grip. I cup my left hand & place my right hand into the cup of my left hand. I push with my right & pull with my left. The push & pull is not much maybe 5lbs of pressure. You will know when it's right, it will remove most of the shaking without enough pressure to add tremors of it's own. My left elbow will drop down to almost touch my left ribs & my right elbow will bend at about a 20 degree angle. I cock the sixgun with the left thumb, this allows you to not change the grip with your right hand after each shot. It's surprising just how much recoil this grip will dampen. It is way easier to do than describe, and everyone will eventually develop his or her own style. This is what works for me, hope it helps some. Good shooting. Frank

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm such a rebel: no pinky under the grip :D

I shot the single six with my little finger under the grip, but it just doesn't feel right to me with the blackhawk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts