Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sky Marshal
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my many questions on bolt action rifles, and the Ruger Scout. I'm new to bolt actions, so I'm really trying to get up to speed.

I just got a GSR a few weeks ago, and I've been working on getting it fully set up and equipped.
Setting LOP seems to be a pretty important task, but I can't seem to find anything other than holding your arm at a 90 degree angle and checking to see if the end of the stock touches the crook of your arm.
BTW, mine doesn't even come close, it's a good couple of inches away from the inside of my elbow when held by the grip with my finger on the trigger (unloaded, of course). Just for reference, I'm 6'3" and wear shirts with a 37" sleeve.

This method just doesn't seem to me to be very accurate. The only detailed material I can seem to find is written for shotgun shooters, and I don't know if that applies to a rifle.

Does anyone have any advice for me, especially for how to verify that the LOP is set correctly. I suspect I'll be adding all the spacers that came with the rifle, but I'd like to know if I need to do that.
I'm going to mount the scope (long eye relief) soon, and want to get the LOP set correctly first.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Here’s what I’ve found to be the best and most accurate way to find your LOP.

Stand with your arms at your side. Bend your arm 90 degrees at the elbow up in front of you

Make an imaginary pistol grip and a natural trigger finger curl.

Measure from the elbow joint just below the bicep down your forearm to the middle of the pad on your trigger finger.

This number is your LOP............if it’s going to be cold weather hunting subtract a 1/4 to a 1/2” for clothing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You put the gun butt in the crook of your arm and try to insert your finger in the guard and onto the trigger with your finger in the natural position for shooting. Quickly shows you what the LOP is.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That "rule of elbow" for determining stock length is a useful starting point and happens to work for me. In your case, given your height and arm length, you may need more spacers than came with the GRS and you will probably have to get them directly from Ruger. Longer mounting bolts may also be needed.

As a first try, install all the spacers that came with the rifle which should give you a lop of 14-1/4". Then see if when you bring the rifle to your shoulder if your shooting hand is far enough from your face without placing your head uncomfortably far back on the comb. Based on that determine how much longer the stock needs to be. About the longest lop I've ever seen is 15-1/2" so you would need 2 or 3 more spacers.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,000 Posts
I don't get overly concerned about LOP …. I'm much more concerned about getting a good cheek weld on the stock while getting the proper eye relief with a scope. I also have long arms so I've never found a rifle that was too long for me. Shorter rifles like a 10/22 make me hold my arms with my elbows bent …. but I always seem to manage. I only shoot from a sitting position (bench rest) or standing, which are compatible. Shooting from a prone position requires a longer LOP. I do have one rifle with variable LOP, a target 10/22 with a Fajen adjustable stock. Both LOP and cheek position are adjustable. I can't see where the Fajen stock is any better than my other rifles with fixed stocks.

Here's my 10/22 build with a Fajen target stock:

·
Registered
117 Posts
You are better off with a rifle set up a bit too short than a rifle too long.

Proper cheekweld and eye/sights (whether optics or irons) relationship is what is important. Having the rifle set up so you are repeatedly getting your face and eye in the same place comfortably every time you mount the rifle is what is important.

If you haven't done much searching, here might be a link of some help to begin with.
https://artoftherifle.com/rifle-fit-length-of-pull/2012/02/rifle-fit-length-of-pull.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
And for what it is worth, my GSR has 3 spacers in the buttock and it fits me perfectly. I am 6'2" with mildly ape arms.....you can do the thinking on that one. ��

·
Sky Marshal
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put all three spacers on the stock, and it pretty well passes the "elbow test" it's less than an inch short of where the butt of the stock should be.

Got the scope on and I think I'm going to the range in the next couple of weeks to sight in. I'm pretty lucky, we have an indoor rifle range nearby that has a 75 yard indoor range. The only bad part is you have to shoot from a seated position. But, it's better than not having any range at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts