Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to take my new AR-5556 out to the range.

After going through about 50 rounds of American Eagle I had a feeding/ejection issue that took forever to clear.

What had happened was that a round had failed to feed properly and was stuck between the bolt and the upper side of the receiver.

Eventually I was able to get the round out by working the charging handle and pulling on the round with pliers through the ejection port. (now I have scratches there on my brand new rifle... :()

Was this the right thing to do?

Should I be concerned that there is something fundamentally wrong with the gun itself?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm confused about how you cleared the malfunction. It sounds as though if you had simply opened up your rifle by pulling out the rear takedown pin, you could have simply pulled out the charging rod and bolt carrier group and removed the jammed round without tools.

Aside from that, give it a thorough cleaning and lubing and it should be fine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm confused about how you cleared the malfunction. It sounds as though if you had simply opened up your rifle by pulling out the rear takedown pin, you could have simply pulled out the charging rod and bolt carrier group and removed the jammed round without tools.

Aside from that, give it a thorough cleaning and lubing and it should be fine.
Classic double feed.... he can't simply open the rifle as the bolt is stuck in mid position, with part of it extended down the receiver extension.

With the rifle pointed up and rolled to the side with the ejection port facing the ground, try to pull back on the charging handle and lock the bolt to the rear. Then forcibly rip the magazine from the rifle.

If the bolt will not move, use a piece of cleaning rod to push on the bolt from the ejection port and push it back so that it can be locked open.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like what some people call a "bolt override malfunction". You can't break it down to clear it because the bolt is partially to the rear...

You can often clear it by "mortaring" the weapon... slamming the butt on the ground while pulling back on the charging handle.

We had a method in the army that will almost always work, but will get you thrown off of a lot of civilian ranges. Put the butt of the weapon on the ground, place your boot on the left side of the charging handle, and stomp downward. Be very aware of where your muzzle is pointing, but it almost always works and I've never had a round go off. First time for everything though, so use at your own risk.

Chuck

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds like what some people call a "bolt override malfunction". You can't break it down to clear it because the bolt is partially to the rear...

You can often clear it by "mortaring" the weapon... slamming the butt on the ground while pulling back on the charging handle.

We had a method in the army that will almost always work, but will get you thrown off of a lot of civilian ranges. Put the butt of the weapon on the ground, place your boot on the left side of the charging handle, and stomp downward. Be very aware of where your muzzle is pointing, but it almost always works and I've never had a round go off. First time for everything though, so use at your own risk.

Chuck
No reason for mortaring outside of combat and needing to get the rifle immediately back into service. It will get you removed from the range that I belong to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input!

I think mortaring WOULD get me kicked out...

But... I did get the damn thing out, ended up tearing apart the round, filling the chamber with powder... but it's clean now...

My only worry is that this might be a recurring problem...

f

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Only way to find out if its a recurring problem is to shoot it again and see. New gun might need to be shot a bit to break it in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts