Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some projects that I want to launch that will require a good Punch Pin Set. I've looked on Brownells and other online stores for a decent set, but when I read the reviews it prevents me from placing an order. I would like to get a recommendation of a good set and where to buy it.

Your assistance would be much appreciated!

MoeSkeeter

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have read that having brass punches is important for things that you don't want to mar the finish of.

I noticed I was wearing through the finish on my LC9 on the slide in the little notch to push the take down pin out. My cheapest solution was a 1/16 inch diameter pin driver from Zoro (tagged onto a supply order).
Starrett
Brass Drive Pin Punch, 1/16 In Tip, 4 In L
Zoro #: G4746341 Mfr #: B565A

The shorter all brass ones are $~8 each. They have longer ones that are brass with a steel handle for $~12 each. Zoro does not appear to have sets:

One thing I looked at was sight installation, which advises for brass punches to push the sights on and off without marring them. I noticed that the dovetails are not round. For that I bought a couple pieces of square brass rod from McMaster:
Ultra-Machinable 360 Brass Bar
1/2" Thick, 1/2" Wide, 1 Foot Long
8951K71
Ultra-Machinable 360 Brass Hex Bar
1/4" Wide, 1 Foot Long
8952K23

I'm thinking I can cut a short length, trim down the edge if needed, and have a perfect fit for the edge of the dovetail.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I use a set of Grace brass punches and Lyman steel roll-pin punches. With use, the brass heads will mushroom a bit. A few seconds on the disc sander will correct that.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Starrett, not cheap but buy an 8 piece set.
I've only broken ONE, the tiniest one. And it lasted for years. My husband got me my set. They are amazing
They make high quality tools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts