Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much debating I decided to purchase the new Kel-Tec PF-9. For small guns I have two 380's and wanted to get my first 9mm as I am really a 357 and 45 kind of guy. Went to the recent Hickory, N.C. show and upon arriving at the first table I saw several KT's. I asked about the PF-9 and the guy said he could not get one and "not to worry" there were none of these guns in the whole show! Thanks Mr. 411 for being such a buzz killer! I decided to look quickly for any PF-9's anyway and then look at the rest of the goodies later. I found four of these guns and when I left I went by this guys table that was so knowledgeable and told him there was four at this show but with the one I had tucked under my waist band there were only three left! Take that. Cost after a little dickering was $275.00 out the door.

This little 9 is really exciting me. Have cleaned it and shot a couple mags in the back yard. Can't shoot too much here so I'll be going to the range before long. I am using a rubber slip on grip that has made the recoil a nonissue for me. Bought a spare mag and a Clipdraw clip to allow me to attach to my pant waist band. Being concealed with a shirt out is unreal. Light, thin, no holster, wearing my tight jeans instead of my larger "carry jeans". Carried it one day to work with a belly band holster and it carried great. As the smallest 9mm on the market, it is a winner to me.

Other impressions. The white three dot sights are awesome to me. The polymer frame shows a seam down it's length where it looks like two sides are joined. I lightly filed around the tip of the trigger to smooth it up and it is great now. Grip sleeve seems to be a must for a good feeling grip. This is a DAO and the trigger pull is long but OK by me as this is also the safety like a double action revolver. With one in the tube, the gun is on a half cock which is nice. Hammer looks like it has been bobbed as nothing comes out until you start pulling the trigger. This may be the gun I start carrying all the time in some method. Seems to be so easy to carry and I have the 9mm cal to go with it. For now it seems my Colt Gov. Model 380 will get a rest and retire for a while or for good but still love it also. Problems with this gun have been addressed with fixes on the newer models or replacement parts have been or will be given out free to correct older poorer parts. I'll let you know the good and bad. Of course my larger caliber guns will not get to rest as they will also be carried some as the situation and dress fit the desire. More later.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Thanks for the write up Stoble. I looked a the PF-9 after reading about it in one of my Magazines. The article gave it a thumbs up. The employees at the local gun shop said that the new Kel Tecs are pretty good guns. I know my buddy's P-11 is a great little shooter. I'm thinking seriously about getting one for carry. Let us know how the range shooting goes.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i always thought highly of the p-11 though the trigger is a bear to get accustomed to.

You are probably already aware of it, but there is an excellent talk board o kel-tecs at www.ktog.org
Purty friendly knowledgable folks there and a ton of info/help on any kel-tec issues.............

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I agree on the trigger deputy. The first mag I emptied went everywhere. It took a couple for me to get the trigger pull right. It was unique. Not bad, just a little different.

Thanks for the link. :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had bought a new PF-9 quite awhile back. Then I got a great deal on a used P-11 so I sold the PF-9. Both are nice carry guns. I also have the belt clip and it's awesome. I like the feel of the PF-9 better, but the P-11
has been shooting fine for me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any experience with the other Kel Tecs but this gun is suppose to be the best of their other guns. The trigger pull is long but a pleasant pull for me. I was hitting in the 8 ring or smaller with most every shot. I actually shot it better than a P90 I was trying! Still don't understand how the gun is so pleasant to shoot compared to the stories I have read and heard about other light weight guns of similar powered cal. For me the gun has been good surprise, good surprise, good surprise. I'll see if any bugs develop. Like a new car being sent back to the dealship. My dad said his last new car was sent back to be worked on more than all his other new cars put together. So far on the gun, so good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
heres my p11 keltec

the trigger is a bear but it fits in my front pocket in a holster very easy to get out

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats on the new gun! I've looked at this gun at the local shop, and really like it's dimensions--looks VERY concealable, and it sounds like it shoots well too!

I've got a question though....I've heard that you CANNOT shoot +p through it. Is this something Kel-Tec says, or just rumor?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coffy, the PF-9 will accept +P per the manuel but not for continuous use. Target shoot with non +P and function test your choice of +P for function testing, then carry the +P for social issues. I have my first 100 rounds go great. No problems. I did file a slight blemish off the trigger tip and noiw it is smooth. The pull is very acceptable for me due to no safety. The recoil is nil with a rubber inner tube from a bike cut to fit the grip. I was carrying it the other day and forgot I had it. That is what I wanted because everything else I carry, I never forget it's there.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GSWBBC, the clip draw is working great. Cost $20.00 at a gun show but can be ordered. I wanted to carry a gun more often and the light clip and a Kel Tec PF-9 is nice. Since I have only used it on a light weight I can only speak for how well it works on these guns. Easy and quick to clip on pants or over pants and belt. Never had any problems except one. A turnstile caught the grip of my gun as I walked against it. Made worse as I turned around to assist my Mom as she approached the entrance. The bar raised the grip of the gun and pulled it off so then it fell in the floor. I just bent over, picked it up and put it in my pocket. Nothing was said. Lesson learned. It may have pulled a short barreled gun out of a traditional holster if no security strap. Otherwise, the clip draw is a pleasure and I am glad I bought one. It will probably never come off the gun! No pun intended.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.