Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an F-250. So far its been great, handled a big snow storm we had out here in PA with ease. This is my first truck and first vehicle with 4X4 and I don't know how I have lived without either for so long.

It has the 5.4L V8 and the TorqueShift Auto Tranny, SuperCab, 6.75' bed and the cab is well equiped for it being a work truck. The color is Dark Stone (read grey).

I needed a pickup since I have an older home that we are fixing up. We also have a habit of buying large heavy items that don't fit well in cars. Since we live in a small town in a mountaines/hilly area the 4X4 and the height of the truck will allow us to get around even in foul weather.

Only downside of the truck is the horrid gas milage. Hopefully it will continue to improve as the engine breaks in. I got 9.8 MPG for the first tank, that was a mix of Highway, City, some 4X4 and idling. The last fillup (and 1,200 miles later) got about 12MPG with the same driving conditions. I can't complain about the mpg since I knew in advance she was gonna be a thirsty beast.

PS. Don't forget to throw some money in for good luck

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Congrats on a great truck... My 2003 GMC Sierra Extended Cab Z-71 Off-Road 4X4 is my first truck, and I'll NEVER own a car again!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a sweet ride RNettles.
Any tips you can give anew truck owner?

Oh. Took her in for her first oil change. I wanted to do it myself but we still have to much snow on the ground.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
As a homeowner, a truck is required. I sold my 03 Ford Ranger XCab for a small suv when my baby was coming. This way I can put a carseat in the back. Now I have a garage full of junk that I can't get rid of! Sure miss my truck at times...

I been thinking about getting a small 4x6 trailer...

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is a good topic, we have decided to trade in our Mini van for a truck. We have settled on the new Toyota Tacoma 4 door 4x4, just have to wait a couple of months till we can do the swap, have a couple of payments to make then we will get it!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Been driving a truck daily for over 20 years. Best mpg was a chevy, worst was a Dodge. Presently have a Chevy work truck, 2wd with tool boxes and it gets a mixed hwy and city average of 17mpg. With a trailer on the hitch that drops to about 10-12 mpg. I agree, don't know what I'd do without a truck!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Bought a Chevy Colorodo last year. It took us to Colorodo, Idaho, Wy, Montana, Arizona, Missouri, Arkansas, and probably a few I am forgeting, and back to KY. Been a real truck.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cmp944

That's a sweet ride RNettles.
Any tips you can give anew truck owner?

Oh. Took her in for her first oil change. I wanted to do it myself but we still have to much snow on the ground.
Tip #1: Even though you now own a "tank", you can still get stuck. Know where you are going, particularly off-road...

Tip #2: Know your owners manual. Mine requires specific actions when going into 4X4 Low, not to damage the drive train, even though it is electronic "push button" selection.

Tip #3: If your truck has "Auto 4X4", select it when the roads are wet. My truck applies 90% to rear wheels and 10% to front until the rear "slips". Then it directs more power to the front wheels, and it does all this in 1/10 of a second. I have actually tried to "spin" my truck out in a vacant wet parking lot... It won't do it. I feel very confortible in Auto on rain slick roads...

Tip #4: Maintain your ride. As you are evendently already aware, do the normal maintenance and drive train acording to manufacturers schedule. The truck will last you for many years.

Tip #5: Crawl under there after you've been "touring" off-road. Make sure all your skid plates are in good repair and are still attached tight... Nothing ruins an off-road expedition like a rock through the oil pan or tansaxel, in the middle of "no where".

Tip #6: Make sure you have good shocks and suspension parts if you do much off-roading. Skimp here and you'll pay later...

Tip #7: Check your anti-locking brakes on a nice straight and level dry road. Make sure the vehicle doesn't pull left or right. If it does, have it looked at by a certified techy at the dealer.

Tip #8: Don't let your pride "over load" the bed of your truck. They will haul a lot, but even they have limits. It is much easier and cheaper in the long run to make two trips...

Tip #9: Keep it clean. After a nice mud bath, go to the car wash. Make sure you get all of the mud underneath too... Did you know Indians make adobe bricks for thier homes from dried mud?... It turns to concrete...

Tip #10: Strap yourself in tight. One good bounce, and you can be on the ceiling... It's real hard to drive from up there...

Tip #11: Enjoy your new found pleasure... I know I do!

<center>
</center>

<center>
</center>

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
If you're going somewhere other than work, the hospital, or other very necessary place, when you start to get in trouble in 2 wheel drive, put in 4x4 and back out of there. I've seen more 4x4's stuck than I have anything else, and when they're stuck, they're really stuck! You will never get in trouble following this simple bit of advice.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

I've seen more 4x4's stuck than I have anything else, and when they're stuck, they're really stuck! You will never get in trouble following this simple bit of advice.
rmans right! He must have seen me stuck! I have owned 4WD Pick-Up Trucks since 1971. I was 18 when I got my first one. Been stuck ever since.:) But the good thing is, I can get stuck further from help than anybody I know! [8D] Even normal people need 4-wheel drive! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good advice RNettles, thank you.

I like the 4X4 Auto feature you have. I don't think Ford even offers that yet. The 4X4 low is protected by the computer though, you can flip the switch to that setting at any time but the computer will not allow it to engage untill you are in Neutral with your foot on the brake.

And tonight after work the truck and I Have a date at the car wash. No mud, just an obsurd amount of road salt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts