Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used VGC Ruger P95DC thru GunBroker.com.

Came with ONE Original Ruger 15 round magazine stamped " 40 CAL " on the front side of mag.

Can this magazine be effectively used in this pistol without having issues ?

I know it takes 15 rounds because I loaded 15 9mm rounds into it !

FYI - my standard load is 147 grain bullet w/ approx. 3.4 grains of Accurate #2.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it fit into the gun? I use 45 acp mags in my 10mm 1911.
Yes, the mag fits - however I read in other posts where people experienced feed and/or ejection issues using an incompatible magazine in their pistol. Primary issue was stovepiping, where the spent case failed to properly eject.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I would say no, but I've never tried it. The 30 luger uses the 9 mm mags so maybe it will.

·
Paw Paw
95 Posts
New Mags are widely available. I wouldnt risk using anything other than stock.
Good score on the P95
P- Series is addictive.
Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Mags are widely available. I wouldnt risk using anything other than stock.
Good score on the P95
P- Series is addictive.
Dave
Exactly what I was thinking, just ordered a few Mec-Gar 17 round 9mm mags specifically for the P95 -

I'll try and unload the .40 cal mag on eBay !

This is my 2nd P95DC - got it for the wife in light of present conditions !

Ed

·
Registered
675 Posts
During the Clinton crime bill era, I used the .40 caliber magazines in my P89's and P95's all the time with good results. The mag catch had to be filed a small amount to latch into place, they were easy to find because of the 10 round capacity A large well known Prescott gun store was even selling them after they modified them to fit the 9mm pistols. After the crime bill went away and magazines were easy to find again I traded the modified ones at a local swap meet for original Colt AR magazines. Your magazine may have already been modified to fit with the 9mm pistol, might want to check it before trying to sell. Lots of original magazine available on many auction sites, some for good prices. Good Luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, after I received a copy of the Service and Repair Order provided by Ruger from the seller, the SAR stated that the gun was recv'd by them with a 15 round magazine accompanying it, they made the necessary repairs and test fried 30 rounds thru the gun using the provided 15 round magazine.

I spoke to the seller who informed me that the gun and accompanying magazine were in his possession from a trade-in and upon test firing, discovered that the pistol failed to fire in the double action mode. He subsequently sent the gun and mag to Ruger for repair, and Ruger replaced the hammer,sear, sear spring and trigger bar. Then test fired the gun with 30 rounds of Black Hills 115gr FMJ, without malfunction.

I made a copy of the SAR and emailed Ruger inquiring if a 40 Cal mag would work properly in this 9 mm pistol and if, in fact, they used the provided magazine when it was test fired.

The reply which I received from Ruger stated : " We received a 15 round magazine with the pistol which would be a 9mm because we do not offer a 15 round magazine in a 40 caliber. The pistol would not have been tested with a 40 caliber magazine. "

I would attempt to take a pic of the mag with the stamped " 40 CAL " marking on the front of the mag and upload it - but it does not show up in the photo and there is no way I can enhance it to make it stand out.

However, I was able to locate and upload an ad for the " Non-existent Ruger 40 caliber " magazine which Ruger does NOT make !

You can NOT make this stuff up !

So I guess the moral of this story is - One can NOT even trust the manufacturer to provide intelligent information regards their own product line !

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
I checked to see if my SR40 mags fit my SR9. And they do. So im going to experiment. (y)
Yeah no fun shooting in the blazing heat. Were finally cooling down some.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I checked to see if my SR40 mags fit my SR9. And they do. So im going to experiment. (y)
Yeah no fun shooting in the blazing heat. Were finally cooling down some.
Just make sure that you load your SR40 mag with 9mm cartridges - otherwise you WiII have issues !

I uploaded 3 pics of the mag, which I disassembled to clean it -

Pic 1 shows ALL components which were dissembled for cleaning purposes, pic 2 shows close-up of the " 40 CAL " stamped imprint and pic 3 shows the mag with the bottom piece w/ the Ruger logo.

Ruger 40 cal mag 1 -3.jpg Ruger 40 cal mag 2 -3.jpg Ruger 40 cal mag 3 - 3.jpg

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
OK, after I received a copy of the Service and Repair Order provided by Ruger from the seller, the SAR stated that the gun was recv'd by them with a 15 round magazine accompanying it, they made the necessary repairs and test fried 30 rounds thru the gun using the provided 15 round magazine.

I spoke to the seller who informed me that the gun and accompanying magazine were in his possession from a trade-in and upon test firing, discovered that the pistol failed to fire in the double action mode. He subsequently sent the gun and mag to Ruger for repair, and Ruger replaced the hammer,sear, sear spring and trigger bar. Then test fired the gun with 30 rounds of Black Hills 115gr FMJ, without malfunction.

I made a copy of the SAR and emailed Ruger inquiring if a 40 Cal mag would work properly in this 9 mm pistol and if, in fact, they used the provided magazine when it was test fired.

The reply which I received from Ruger stated : " We received a 15 round magazine with the pistol which would be a 9mm because we do not offer a 15 round magazine in a 40 caliber. The pistol would not have been tested with a 40 caliber magazine. "

I would attempt to take a pic of the mag with the stamped " 40 CAL " marking on the front of the mag and upload it - but it does not show up in the photo and there is no way I can enhance it to make it stand out.

However, I was able to locate and upload an ad for the " Non-existent Ruger 40 caliber " magazine which Ruger does NOT make !

You can NOT make this stuff up !

So I guess the moral of this story is - One can NOT even trust the manufacturer to provide intelligent information regards their own product line !
your attached image is for a 15-round SR40 magazine, not a 15-round P-series magazine.

Reactions: RooGerDooger

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
your attached image is for a 15-round SR40 magazine, not a 15-round P-series magazine.
I do NOT dispute WHAT you say -

The pictured mag came with the purchase of a used Ruger P95DC -
The firearm was a trade-in to a gun shop in OR -
Gun shop owner test fired the P95 and found it did not fire DA -
Gun AND mag sent to Ruger -
Repairs made to gun with mag sent to Ruger -

Ruger denies having EVER made a 40 Cal 15 round mag -

Bottom line is - Regardless of info provided by Ruger - 9mm and 40 cal ( 10mm ) MAGAZINES are interchangeable - IF - loaded with the PROPER ammo for the specific pistol !

E.g. - 9mm ammo in a 40 cal mag / 40 cal ammo in a 9mm mag !

I am ONLY relaying info that I received from previous gun owner and Ruger techs !

Please, do NOT shoot the MESSENGER ! ;)

Ed

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
My P94 in .40 S&W has 11 round mags. Not sure how many 9 MM you can cram in there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My P94 in .40 S&W has 11 round mags. Not sure how many 9 MM you can cram in there.
I just purchased a " bunch " of Mec-Gar 9mm mags from B&H Police Supply, reasonable prices on their mags. Attached is a Reference Chart that was on the back of the magazine packaging. Thought it might be of interest to you. Ed
Mec-Gar Mag Ref.jpg
Mec-Gar Mag Ref.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts