Ruger Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Awesome. I been wanting to order some of their 17 round mags for my P95. I run Mec-Gars in my 1911's. This one is my fave. View attachment 146429
Al,

You just might want to keep that mag in " safe - keeping " -
If Biden gets in come Nov - your 2nd Amendment inscribed magazine will become, unfortunately, a " Collector's Item " !

P.S. - I took the liberty of copying the image so that when I get my laser up and running -

I can inscribe ALL my mags with the 2nd Amendment verse !

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I do NOT dispute WHAT you say -

The pictured mag came with the purchase of a used Ruger P95DC -
The firearm was a trade-in to a gun shop in OR -
Gun shop owner test fired the P95 and found it did not fire DA -
Gun AND mag sent to Ruger -
Repairs made to gun with mag sent to Ruger -

Ruger denies having EVER made a 40 Cal 15 round mag -

Bottom line is - Regardless of info provided by Ruger - 9mm and 40 cal ( 10mm ) MAGAZINES are interchangeable - IF - loaded with the PROPER ammo for the specific pistol !

E.g. - 9mm ammo in a 40 cal mag / 40 cal ammo in a 9mm mag !

I am ONLY relaying info that I received from previous gun owner and Ruger techs !

Please, do NOT shoot the MESSENGER ! ;)

Ed
An SR-series magazine is too wide to fit a P-series pistol, and the notch for the magazine catch is in a different place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
An SR-series magazine is too wide to fit a P-series pistol, and the notch for the magazine catch is in a different place.
I have two (2) Ruger P95DC's, two (2) Ruger 10 round mags which came with the 1st one circa 2015 +/-
Purchased ten (10) Mec-Gar 17 round Nickel Plated mags - see above posted photos -
Inherited a 15 round Ruger 40 CAL mag with the 2nd P95DC last week - also see above photos

BUT - to ADD - the Ruger 40 CAL mag fits BOTH of MY Ruger P95DC pistols AND they WORK -
Verified by RUGER Factory Technicians and the previous owner !
I have yet to fire the recently purchased pistol with the 40 cal mag - just a wee bit too warm - 107*

THAT is MY story, sad but true, and I am STICKING with IT !

Ed

·
Registered
160 Posts
17rd mags! Sounds good. Like I'm not stupid gun poor right now. 🙃😝 I have a P94 that I haven't shot. It came with one mag.

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK, after I received a copy of the Service and Repair Order provided by Ruger from the seller, the SAR stated that the gun was recv'd by them with a 15 round magazine accompanying it, they made the necessary repairs and test fried 30 rounds thru the gun using the provided 15 round magazine.

I spoke to the seller who informed me that the gun and accompanying magazine were in his possession from a trade-in and upon test firing, discovered that the pistol failed to fire in the double action mode. He subsequently sent the gun and mag to Ruger for repair, and Ruger replaced the hammer,sear, sear spring and trigger bar. Then test fired the gun with 30 rounds of Black Hills 115gr FMJ, without malfunction.

I made a copy of the SAR and emailed Ruger inquiring if a 40 Cal mag would work properly in this 9 mm pistol and if, in fact, they used the provided magazine when it was test fired.

The reply which I received from Ruger stated : " We received a 15 round magazine with the pistol which would be a 9mm because we do not offer a 15 round magazine in a 40 caliber. The pistol would not have been tested with a 40 caliber magazine. "

I would attempt to take a pic of the mag with the stamped " 40 CAL " marking on the front of the mag and upload it - but it does not show up in the photo and there is no way I can enhance it to make it stand out.

However, I was able to locate and upload an ad for the " Non-existent Ruger 40 caliber " magazine which Ruger does NOT make !
Will this work in a P94 .40?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Will this work in a P94 .40?
I would assume so - as the Mec-Gar magazine chart ( image posted in a previous reply above ) shows that the Ruger P85 / 89 / 93 / 95 / PC9 - ALL use the same magazine - just the capacities are different !
Ed

·
Registered
865 Posts
The 40 cal. P series mags came in 2 flavors......11 rounds & 10 rounds after 1994 AWB.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The 40 cal. P series mags came in 2 flavors......11 rounds & 10 rounds after 1994 AWB.
View attachment 146503
FWIW - The Ruger magazine that YOU picture is an EXACT duplicate of the magazine which was supplied with my 2nd Ruger P95DC by the gun shop which took it in on a trade-in -

The ONLY difference is YOUR blueing is more intact than mine and your bottom plate with the Ruger logo is in better condition .

Also, FWIW - THAT magazine should hold 15 rounds of 9mm - with ALL things being equal !

Quite interesting / intriguing , to say the least - especially when the Ruger Tech emphatically stated that Ruger NEVER produced a 40 CAL magazine !

Ed

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would assume so - as the Mec-Gar magazine chart ( image posted in a previous reply above ) shows that the Ruger P85 / 89 / 93 / 95 / PC9 - ALL use the same magazine - just the capacities are different !
Ed
One would think the follower is different when using it for .40

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
One would think the follower is different when using it for .40
According to info posted on the Internet - the .40 cal is 10mm, and 1mm = .039" - which is approx. 1/25 of an inch ! 1 / 25 = .04" - You would need a micrometer or a caliper to measure this small amount.

Could the 40 cal and 9mm magazines be the same with the difference being just the stamping - or - could Ruger have gone thru the expense to manufacture a magazine with the follower 1mm / .039" larger than the 9mm magazine ?

In reality, " I " am NOT going to measure the magazine follower to attempt to detect whether this minute difference is present or not, although I do have both the 9mm and 40 cal (10mm) magazines at my immediate disposal.

Perhaps someone who is more interested than I would care to investigate this question further.

Personally, if the supplied 40Cal magazine which came with the 9mm Ruger P95DC works without problems - I would be satisfied and I think that we all learned something from this " mistake ".

1599491107732.png 1599491295821.png

·
Registered
160 Posts
The mag lips look like they are the same. The gap on the .40 mag is 1/8" or more bigger. Followers are totally different. A 9 dropped into the top of the .40 mag looks iffy. Like a good slap on the bottom and it would be ejecting rounds.

Feed lips both have some taper to them. The 9 has much more taper, and is more smaller.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The mag lips look like they are the same. The gap on the .40 mag is 1/8" or more bigger. Followers are totally different. A 9 dropped into the top of the .40 mag looks iffy. Like a good slap on the bottom and it would be ejecting rounds.

Feed lips both have some taper to them. The 9 has much more taper, and is more smaller.
I hear ya - BUT - the FACT of the matter is simply this :

The P95DC was sent to " RUGER " in Arizona for repairs AFTER it failed to fire -
It was sent with the 40 CAL magazine which was included in MY purchase -
AFTER repairs the gun was test fired with the 40 CAL magazine and it performed flawlessly for a 30 round test fire scenario -

Which means that the 15 round magazine HAD TO BE RELOADED once - AND LOADED two (2) times by a Ruger Certified Technician !

Like I said earlier - 9mm to 10mm - is a MINUTE difference - only ONE THIRTY-NINTH of an INCH - .039 to be exact !

I am 72 and have the pleasure to know a few girls back in the day -

And - contrary to accepted beliefs - there IS a difference in hair diameters -

With Black being the thickest, Brunette next lower, followed by Blonde and Red being the thinnest -

Trust me - as I have had to pick ALL of the above, plus some , out of my teeth after " dates " with these ladies !

Funny, but NONE requested a " slap on the bottom " before or after " injection or ejection " !

Perhaps I might have been remiss in fulfilling their desires !

·
Registered
865 Posts
FWIW - The Ruger magazine that YOU picture is an EXACT duplicate of the magazine which was supplied with my 2nd Ruger P95DC by the gun shop which took it in on a trade-in -

The ONLY difference is YOUR blueing is more intact than mine and your bottom plate with the Ruger logo is in better condition .

Also, FWIW - THAT magazine should hold 15 rounds of 9mm - with ALL things being equal !

Quite interesting / intriguing , to say the least - especially when the Ruger Tech emphatically stated that Ruger NEVER produced a 40 CAL magazine !

Ed
well ed.........I think the tech was probably not born yet or in diapers when Ruger was building the metal frame pistols. They built the P91, and P94 both in 40 caliber. Here is my P94DAO

·
Registered
192 Posts
During the high-cap magazine ban, word got out that the .40 caliber Ruger mag would work in the 9mm P guns. I bought several of them at the time but I don't believe I ever used them because I already had plenty of the 9mm mags. I think the .40-cal mags I bought were intended to hold 10 rounds of .40 and would hold just 14 rounds of 9, but I could be misremembering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
During the high-cap magazine ban, word got out that the .40 caliber Ruger mag would work in the 9mm P guns. I bought several of them at the time but I don't believe I ever used them because I already had plenty of the 9mm mags. I think the .40-cal mags I bought were intended to hold 10 rounds of .40 and would hold just 14 rounds of 9, but I could be misremembering.
I did purchase a couple of 40 cal mags for my P95 one time, and they wouldn't operate in my gun. I don't know what the difference was between the 9mm mags and the 40 mags, maybe the angle of the stack at the top of the magazines was wrong for 9mm or something, but I ended up taking them back.
I purchased Pro Mag 9mm mags for my 9mm and had pretty good luck with them. I did have some issues with the gun not locking back after the last round, so I disassembled and cleaned the mags completely and after that they seemed to work fine. I've also use Pro Mags in my Mini 14 and also had issues with them not operating the last round hold open. With those, I also completely cleaned them, but ended up trimming the follower a bit to allow it to move higher up on the last round. Then they seemed to operate the last round hold open.
Sorry for the additonal comments, but I hope they help.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts