Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the treasury department is acting like the democrats are running the show in DC. Today, I received a "stimulus check" for my dead uncle who used my house as his mailing address since I was his responsible family member. My Uncle Joe has been deceased for over a year. He passed March of 2019.

So, i'm looking for suggestions on which firearm I should buy ... :unsure: ...

Don't worry I will be calling them and ionforming them of this error this afternoon ...

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,261 Posts
$1,200 will buy you a pretty one.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting thing or weird thing about this situation is this, because of the covid stuff I have not been able to have my uncle's ashes interned with his father my grandfather. His ashes sit peacefully on the shelf that has some of my spare ammo.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You might want to check to see if your Uncle has voted since his passing. No joke intended. If he has voted from the grave could you let us know what party he was registered with.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you are right about the revolver ...

How would one check to see if he voted, I'm pretty sure he never registered, disabled since birth ...

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well now what ... i started this thread in a purely satirical way, well no good deed goes unpunished. As a famous demon once said "i'm back", i dropped the "stimulus" check that was sent to my deceased uncle on Friday / Saturday and I even checked the box that said check here if recepient is deceased. Well my friends the USPS has brought it back to me ...

Now what the heck ...

·
Exchequer
4,357 Posts
A "friend" of mine got a $1200 stimulus check for his wife's deceased mother the other week. The check was made payable to the deceased woman c/o the friend's wife. He asked his accountant what he should do with the check and the accountant told him to deposit the money and if the government asked for it back, send it back.

My completely nonprofessional advice is to follow what my friend's accountant said.

Further, when the government pushed through the stimulus package, they did so in order to get the money out ASAP to American taxpayers. In doing so, they sacrificed accuracy. Apparently the stimulus legislation did not include any "clawback" provisions for the stimulus checks -even if they were sent out to a deceased person. I can't imagine the government taking the time or making the effort to audit the accounts of every taxpayer who died in 2019 or 2020.

And I don't think that keeping the money is wrong or immoral. The feds routinely waste our tax dollars on ridiculous expenditures in which we have no say. Sometimes the juju turns around and gives you back what you deserve.

And you, sir, deserve this:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I do not think that you are alone in this. Pretty sure that I heard it mentioned on the news but having no 'connection', I did not pay attention. I am guessing that your uncle filed a return with the IRS for 2018 and that triggered the check being sent. Not sure what I would do, heck, I am not sure what to do with what they direct deposited into my account as I keep thinking that they will come looking to get it back.

Bruce

·
Exchequer
4,357 Posts
I do not think that you are alone in this. Pretty sure that I heard it mentioned on the news but having no 'connection', I did not pay attention. I am guessing that your uncle filed a return with the IRS for 2018 and that triggered the check being sent. Not sure what I would do, heck, I am not sure what to do with what they direct deposited into my account as I keep thinking that they will come looking to get it back.

Bruce
I was going to be my usual smart alec and say you could send it to me, but if you really don't know what to do with the money - and you don't need it to pay bills, etc. - you might consider spending it locally or donating it to a worthy cause you support.

Some of the stimulus money we got went to pay off some debt. Some went to fill the larder. And some went to a family member who needs it more than we do. ....and I think my wife decided to help an online shoe retailer with some of the funds she received.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Bruce
FireEscape ... my uncle did not file a tax return. He was pretty much bedridden the last 10 years or so of his life due to him being disabled since birth. He only got SSI for the disabled. Ironically enough when he passed his SS check got deposited before i could notify them and wham within a day it was extracted from his account. Because what i have learned the SSI check people get on the first of the month is NOT for the up coming month but for the past month. So since he was deceased before the end of the month they say he was not entitled to the check.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This happened to me too. My mother passed in 2019. According to what I read on the IRS site you write "VOID" on the signature line on the back and mail it to one of the listed IRS locations. Where you send it back to is not the address it came from. IMHO sending it back is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This happened to me too. My mother passed in 2019. According to what I read on the IRS site you write "VOID" on the signature line on the back and mail it to one of the listed IRS locations. Where you send it back to is not the address it came from. IMHO sending it back is the right thing to do.
You are correct about the void and where to mail it ... I have to send it to Kansas City ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts