Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife will soon be taking her concealed carry class and insists on carrying my P95 when she finally gets her permit. She's very comfortable with it and is an excellent shot with it. As far as I'm concerned, it's way too big but that's what she wants to use. I don't see any way to carry IWB so a purse or bag seems to be the only option. The crossbreed pacmat recently caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with this or anything similar? Thoughts on other options?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
As a gal, I do not like the idea of carrying a gun in my purse, for several reasons. For one, a purse is often the very thing an attacker targets and it's just too easy for someone to grab and take away your purse and your gun with it. Watch videos of thieves coming up behind a gal and grabbing her purse without warning. Happens all the time.

For another, if her purse is anything like my purse, by the time I could even find the gun, the fight would be long over. :) Yes, there are special purses with a pocket for a gun, but if I'm pushed to the ground, I want my gun with me and within easy reach, not stuck in my purse that may have been thrown out of reach in the struggle. Not sure purse holster setups are even large enough for the P95, anyway, and that's a lot of weight to carry in a purse.

Just my two cents, but if a gal is going to carry a gun, it should always be with her, full time, not stuck in her purse.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
purses get snatched. my old lady had hers ripped off her arm right in front of a busy Walgreens. the good news is all they got was money and her prescription. that is bad enough, but she did not have a pistol in there. that would have meant a teenage misfit would be using it for his next act of dumb lazy stupid. pistol is better off inside the pants holstered or belt holstered and concealed. try small of the back and butt out. that hides well and is accessible with a little practice (unloaded practice).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Whenever someone ask this question I always point them to a J-frame , I've owned several and often carry one myself , they pretty much fit any whares , always go bang , and recoil really isn't all that bad ... Sub compacts are nice ,but not as simple ,that's why the J's are so popular.

·
Registered
134 Posts
She is already telling you what gun she want, what makes you think she will listen
about how to carry.

Anyway try your best to hint that Purse carry + bad idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. I agree this is the worst way to carry, but I believe it's better than not carrying at all. I'm hoping I can find the best way to carry in a purse and hopefully ease her in to IWB. If we only consider off body carry; what would be the best option?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anything but a Purse, even a fanny pack may be a little better.

Are you sure your not in one of those:

I am going to do it my way and will reject anything you have to say.
Just asking not implying.

Insistence that goes against logic is hard to deal with.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
My daughter is struggling with the best way to carry her M60 Ladysmith also. She is tiny. 5'2" and maybe 105lb so a lot of the options are either uncomfortable for her, or not "fashionable" for a 20 year old. I think we ruled out purse carry because some of the good points listed above. It would certainly be the most comfortable, but from a safety and gun security standpoint not.
I think the best way to carry that P95 would be OWB at about 4 o'clock and with a cover garment. I've never found IWB to be particularly comfortable, especially with a bigger gun.
I told my daughter that she might have to sacrifice a bit of fashion to CC. We'll see how it works out.
If that P95 is the gun she wants and is confident in she'll find a way to safely carry! Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
nostang,
I am willing to bet that her outlook on concealed carry would change rather dramatically after just a few days of walking around with a heavy full size gun in her purse. She'll come to the right conclusion and when she does - shopping for the G43, LC9s, PPS, XDs, Shield and training with one of them wouldn't seems like an arduous task. OWB, if IWB is too uncomfortable for her. If she wants to expand beyond the semi-auto, J frame seems like a great alternative.
Some of these guns could also be pocket carried...
Purse carry is a terrible idea indeed.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Anything but a Purse, even a fanny pack may be a little better. ...
Not a bad idea. I have carried a 357 mag in a fanny pack when hiking in lieu of a holster. Not as quick to get at as in a holster, but much less likely to taken away or thrown out of the way than a purse, plus a lot of joggers and hikers use fanny packs, so not unusual to see.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with all the comments. Purse carry is a bad idea. I think if you show her a J-frame or Ruger LCR and she sees how easy it is to carry them, it would change her opinion. Any of those two are very easy and comfortable to carry, even for the ladies.
My wife has been shooting for years, but recently started to carry. She sometimes carries the G26, but prefers my Ruger LCR or Sig P290RS (9mm).

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
My wife will soon be taking her concealed carry class and insists on carrying my P95 when she finally gets her permit. She's very comfortable with it and is an excellent shot with it. As far as I'm concerned, it's way too big but that's what she wants to use. I don't see any way to carry IWB so a purse or bag seems to be the only option. The crossbreed pacmat recently caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with this or anything similar? Thoughts on other options?
My wife, as does a friend of hers, both carry OWB 4:00 position...my wife cc's either a Springfield XD-M 3.8 9mm or her Sig P-230 in .380 acp. Her friend cc's a variety of handguns...a Ruger SP101 .38...a Kimber Pro-Carry II, or a Glock 26 all in the same OWB position.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My wife carries a J frame in a special purse, I've talked to her about it. She carries the purse over her head and under the left arm. I got her a kangaroo carry and she likes it and uses, it says it is comfortable.

http://http://kangaroocarry.com/products/air-marshal3
Just wanted to update Red Feather's Kangaroo Carry link to one that works for the Air Marshall 3 holster:

Air Marshal 3

and all three products:

Kangaroo Carry

These look like comfortable holsters, not only for women, and they're priced very reasonable. I can see using this more than an IWB for comfort when having to sit a lot, not to mention buying larger waist pants just for CCW.

Thanks for the link Red Feather.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My wife has carried for ten years in a custom purse. A couple of notes:

1. To prevent snatching, don't carry your purse just hung on your shoulder. Have the strap go over your chest to the opposite shoulder like a bandolier. Won't totally prevent a purse snatching but most thieves are not going to grab yours if there is an easier target next to you. Not if it means a sure wrestling match.

2. If she puts it in a shopping cart, she laces the child safety strap through the handle/purse strap.

3. Get a purse that seals with Velcro rather than a zipper and has a holster built in (You can attach a piece of Velcro to the inside of the pocket and to the outside of the holster. This'll keep it from shifting. Or use a Mikal holster inside the pocket)

4. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS!!! I just took another Active Shooter training session yesterday and guess what? Situational Awareness was still the number one cautionary tactic!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts