Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will post pictures when I have the guns back (dad wanted to play with them for a while.....) but,

I have a blackhawk and single-six that would both look bitchin with some nice grips. As a carpenter, I like pretty wood.

Since they are both 35 years old and look it, anyone have tips for restoring them to a factory shine? They have been cared for, no rust or major blemishes or anything, but the bluing is starting to wear and I would like a nice high-gloss look, suitable for display. I hate to say it, but their shooting days may be over, I want them to be art now. I have more guns than I can really pay attention to as it is.

If I can do this relatively easily, I might do it to my old Savage 99, one of the Model 12s and so on....make a nice look for the day when I have a den or something.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Lightly break the glaze on the wood with 00-brass wool. This what I use as you don't want to change the shape. Get some Tur-oil at Home Depot. Put on real light coat and dry over night. After about 5 to 7 days they shold be looking real good. Good luck.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
708 Posts
RP, there are enough GOOD gunsmiths out there who can do whatever it is to "purty up" any of YOUR stuff... all it takes is MONEY....
a high polish is not a problem, you say they are 35 years old , so most likely are still 'new models' (AFTER 1973) and would NOT effect any collectors value, as if they were "old models"......they are YOUR guns and you can do what you like. I have advised and done stuff for others over the years and feel it can go either way. Now that I am older and appreciate the 'nostalgia' of "old models",not so quick to advise to "refinish, as I LIKE the oldmodels and their original finish. Tough to 'replicate properly' and maybe costly , and if done wrong, affect, the guns resale value. So there are the two schools of thought.

Many will call wear, "character" and for a 'work ' gun, it is just that. Its when you get to the point of "deminishing returns" that it will make NO difference. You want it "purty" ,make it "purty".....

the factory will refinish and for about the "best " price out, but it will NOT be "high polish" as that calls for a bit more costly work ( time of polish, more finer grits) would have to be "custom", add your custom wood and yes, you will have a thing of beauty.......... BUT , to the purist/collector, not as high a value.

Keep in mind, that "high polish" even being MORE costly does NOT wear as well, will show any and ALL imperfections in the metal and if done improperly ( over done) you will NOT like it.........

as for your 'other' guns, same thing, must know where to draw the line as to "refinish/restoration" you may regret it.......

When you "pimp your ride" , the next owner may NOT like it at all, hard to sell, and lose your investment dollar.......;)

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. A little background is that they were my grandfathers, but they are new models. If I do this, they will never be touched again. My big issue right now is that there are plenty of firms that do it, but I get uneasy sending these particular pieces to somebody in another time zone I have never met. I am pretty good at working with my hands and all, but this is a delicate process and doing it myself is slightly intimidating. (Funny, I have no problems building the home somebody has dreamed of their whole life start to finish, but won't touch my own guns) Trying to get a grip on what it really costs to get a good glossy shine on these, not some internet price, but haven't found anyone that will do it around here. Total lack of gun culture in Seattle I suppose.

·
Registered
708 Posts
rp, that is NOT a problem nor the issue...... we know lots of guys that are very GOOD, or "better" mechanics,but they will not even take off the grip frame from any of the Rugers..........
any doubt, find out from others or ask an "LE' you may know and get some references, visit them and ask to see some of their work or talk to others who have used them. Kinda like getting a 'new Doctor'.............
Yes, there are a LOT of gun plumbers out there, some are self taught and are GREAT, others have all the chances, the money , the equipment, but have NO personalities, and I wouldn't let them wash my car. So we can appreciate your concern.As for a 'normal' refinsih or basic work, you cannot beat the factory for finish or repair.... it's the "custom" stuff, you need to shop around and do your homework.

Yes, many of the guys you may hear or read about on these Forums are out there and do GREAT work, the trouble is they are THAT GOOD, they are costly and they take a LONG time.... different parts of the country have their favorites, and it is NOT up to me to pass judgement on ANY of them, as I know and have worked with a lot of them over the years, so if I say one, the others will "wonder";)

You can try www.americanpistol.com

·
Registered
295 Posts
rp_cavanaugh; Sir; did you do anything with 'grandfathers' guns.
Seems two different 'refinishes' proposed. Grips and re-bluing
Considering I'm a little confused?
Ruger has a price of $50.00 bluing. Can't beat that.
The recommendation of burnish 00 will clean as you go slowly.
keep your hands clean; prevent as much oil off cleaned area until oiled or waxed.
Follow up when you can

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Want to refinish the steel and change out the panels. I'm hoping for something glossier than those pictures. A blinding shine.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Rust bluing is that the same as cold bluing? they look great.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Since they are new models, I would give the service dept at Ruger a call. They do a great job, just make sure they can or will do the high polish you are looking for. Their bluing is said to be top notch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Snuffy,

rust blueing is a kind of cold blueing but differs greatly from your regular bottle job.
The steel parts need to be boiled.

To get a more shiny surface, the gun needs to be polished more than I did. I used 320 grit, the more layers are being applied, the more shiny it gets, just like your 20 layer custom car paint.

Edited***

I just looked at my Ruger closely and it is actually very shiny, the picture above has a lot of Mobil1 on it still. After drying that off and using several layers of carnauba wax, it shines quite nicely!

To get it any better, I guess leather polishing like for the Colt Python might be necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts