Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's time for the curmudgeon in me to come out this morning. There are a number of trends/fads in the firearms market that just make me scratch my head.

1. Camouflage stocks. Why? Yeah, I suppose they can look cool, but unless you're hunting turkeys, or you're a LRRP in the jungle in Nam, what's the point? Seems to me the most likely scenario to happen is that if you set your camo gun down in the woods somewhere and then try to find it again, you won't be able to see it.

2. Short barreled rifles (sbr's). Why are these so "cool" to potential buyers? Okay, maybe some guys just want gonna be what the military has. I get that. Aside from that, though, other than for convenience in clearing rooms full of terrorists, I don't see the point. Generally speaking, for target shooting or hunting, I think in want a barrel that gets more of the potential velocity out of the ammo I am shooting. If I am using iron sights, I want more sight radius.

3. Hanging all sorts of stuff on guns. Why? For many, many years, shooters had slings, sights and sometimes scopes on guns, and didn't seem to want/need anything more.

Now, I understand that lasers and flashlights can sometimes be very useful things. But do you really want/need to be carrying all that stuff around all the time? All jokes aside (most of us have seen the mall ninja parody AR's with everything but hair dryers and coffee makers on them), some folks seriously have AR's with offset back up sights, an Aimpoint or something, with a reflex sight on top of it, a magnifier in front of that, a white light, a laser, a door breaching muzzle break, pistol grip and stock both with storage compartments filled with batteries, padded single-point sling... am I missing anything?

What ever would such a contraption ever be useful for?

4. Related, I guess, but the whole "tacticool" market in general just baffles me. I'm pretty sure I have "tacticool fatigue," if there is such a thing.

Tactical comes of course from "tactics," which while they can involve one person, tend more often when in a military context to involve more than one person. Small, medium and even largish units (but still tactics, as opposed to strategy).

Tactics depend way more on how units work together than on the styles of clothing and firearms the people are equipped with.

The whole "tacticool" movement seems instead to be an individual thing involving trying to get oneself decked out in the most coolest latest most tactical gear available.

Other than being cool, what are you going to do with all that stuff? Seems to me if someone really wants to be prepared for a tactical emergency, a much better way to prepare would involve forming small units of people you know who would be trained together to respond should the need arrive. The weapons, clothing and other gear you have would be secondary to how well you work together as a unit.

Okay, I think maybe I've vented enough. Maybe I will take a walnut and blued steel rifle to the range and ring some steel. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Who would have ever thought that camo would be a fashion statement. Brad Paisley wrote about how it makes "******* chicks go wild".

For certain mission specific/particular use case scenarios, some of the features make sense such as a shorter barrel shotgun or SBR for home defense, but folks can take it to extremes.

See it on Call of Duty or the news and you can expect to see it in the marketplace shortly after.

While I prefer blued guns with walnut stocks, I do appreciate the more rust resilient finishes and synthetic stocks, particularly after I have dinged that claro walnut stock with the great figure while lowering it from a tree stand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess I'm a curmudgeon myself when it comes to the "tacticool" crowd.

I really don't care what sort of garbage you hang on your equipment,as long as you can use it effectively.

And there's the rub, most of the tactifools I see at the range can't shoot. Worse is that the manner in which they conduct themselves is not conducive to ever learning to shoot. Bad practice does NOT improve your skills and they don't understand that concept.

Rapid fire, poorly aimed makes noise but accomplishes nothing else. The majority of the tactifools shoot on our 25 yd line, less at 50 yd and virtually none at 100/200.

Just for fun I borrowed an AR, put a red dot sight on it and zeroed it. Then I shot 80 rds, four position, 10 rds each position at 100 & 200 yds onto the NRA B27 combat silhouette. This was done in what I would consider rapid fire, probably less than 2 seconds per round. I had 2 shots out of the 80 that did not hit the silhouette.

In a SHTF scenario I figure that would make me more effective than several spray + pray tactifools with five pounds of rails/sights/gadgets hung on their weapon.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I agree that a lot of money is spent on tactical stuff that will be used on guns ranges or out in the wild plinking. I do have a light on my nightstand gun, I want to see what went bump in the night. Also I just put a red dot style scope on a 22 hand gun. I didn't like the sights on the gun. But it is just for plinking. It is their money and they can spend it on what they want. But for what some of this stuff will cost, you could buy a bunch of ammo or another gun.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
My AR is more of a target gun with an 18" medium profile barrel, it has a scope and nothing else except a QD bipod or QD flashlight when appropriate. Extremely lightweight M-Lok free float with hardly any rail at all (no kajillion pound cheese graters here). 7.8 pounds total. As for SBRs, I would love one in a pistol calibers, but not so much in rifle calibers. Camo is okay, but it's labor intensive and doesn't always stay nice.

Most of the "tacticool" guys are Call of Duty fanboys who think because their imaginary characters can hump around accessories with rifles attached and get a 3.0 odd, they can emulate that IRL. The universe is cracking and realities are bleeding into each other. Sounds like we need a Doctor.....

·
Banned
365 Posts
I'll add myself to the curmudgeon class, unless I need to be admitted by someone else to join.

On camouflage stocks: I think they look hideous on anything but a turkey shotgun. Then I have also seen pink stocks to sell 22 rifles to young ladies. I'll stick to wood or synthetic stocks in black, thank you.

On short barrel rifles: I believe this comes from the "sawed off shotgun" crowd that doesn't realize what they lose in external ballistics. They may be the latest "tacticool" thing, but I, myself, will pass on this passing fad. I prefer to have guns that work, not look cool.

On gun accessories: I have to ask people with all those accessories on their semi-autos, "What are you compensating for"? I can understand a laser sight or a flashlight on a handgun for self defense in low light situations, but all of that other gadgetry just looks like (and is) money wasted to me. I saw someone with a bipod mounted to a 10/22, along with a laser sight and a bayonet mount. All this on a 10/22 looked like a spiked collar on a chihuahua. I almost died trying hard not to laugh. And when I showed him up on the range with my 22, he really looked silly. His laser sight was never zeroed in :eek:.

The "tacticool" market is a market for the wannabe SWAT guys that have to compensate for their "shortcomings" in self esteem, self confidence, and possibly physically.

Personally, I'll keep my "old school" GP100 that I can put all 6 in a 4" circle at 25 yards without a laser sight, and carry it in a leather holster. I'll also keep my rifles and shotguns with their factory stocks unless I want a synthetic stock on a hunting rifle, and only add a good scope.

I guess this will qualify me as a curmudgeon.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The universe is cracking and realities are bleeding into each other. Sounds like we need a Doctor.....
Now that you've brought it up, probably the next "tacticool" gizmo to hit the market will be a rail-mount Sonic Screwdriver...

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'm old school and very traditional, so none of the above apply to me and my tastes in guns. On the other hand, I'm also very much the "you do your thing, I'll do mine" type, so if someone enjoys the tacticool approach to shooting, more power to them. Then, too, I do my best to reserve judgment on any gun or type of gun or accessory unless I've actually owned and used one. Don't like to see shooters get down on other shooters for what they like or don't like. Not saying this is happening, here, but let's all be careful, okay?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I too like NCG am very very old school. You go the the LGS's good hell you will shell out easily $700.00 and up to buy a centerfire rifle with a walnut stock!!! All these composite gun stocks, short threaded gun barrels for a suppressor??? Never needed a silencer or suppressor in my day or even future days of shooting............all the fancy accessories for the AR15 guys!!! I bought my son a AR15 a S&W good hell he hasn't even shot it yet! Had a nice scope mounted & bore sighted for him.......the dork takes it off & puts this scope on his deer rifle. But then doesn't take the real time needed to sight it in @ 100 yds. So yes new fads & the thought "To each his own"!!! I just kinda shake my head & think.......what ever!!!:confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, it's time for the curmudgeon in me to come out this morning. There are a number of trends/fads in the firearms market that just make me scratch my head.

1. Camouflage stocks. Why? Yeah, I suppose they can look cool, but unless you're hunting turkeys, or you're a LRRP in the jungle in Nam, what's the point? Seems to me the most likely scenario to happen is that if you set your camo gun down in the woods somewhere and then try to find it again, you won't be able to see it.

2. Short barreled rifles (sbr's). Why are these so "cool" to potential buyers? Okay, maybe some guys just want gonna be what the military has. I get that. Aside from that, though, other than for convenience in clearing rooms full of terrorists, I don't see the point. Generally speaking, for target shooting or hunting, I think in want a barrel that gets more of the potential velocity out of the ammo I am shooting. If I am using iron sights, I want more sight radius.

3. Hanging all sorts of stuff on guns. Why? For many, many years, shooters had slings, sights and sometimes scopes on guns, and didn't seem to want/need anything more.

Now, I understand that lasers and flashlights can sometimes be very useful things. But do you really want/need to be carrying all that stuff around all the time? All jokes aside (most of us have seen the mall ninja parody AR's with everything but hair dryers and coffee makers on them), some folks seriously have AR's with offset back up sights, an Aimpoint or something, with a reflex sight on top of it, a magnifier in front of that, a white light, a laser, a door breaching muzzle break, pistol grip and stock both with storage compartments filled with batteries, padded single-point sling... am I missing anything?

What ever would such a contraption ever be useful for?

4. Related, I guess, but the whole "tacticool" market in general just baffles me. I'm pretty sure I have "tacticool fatigue," if there is such a thing.

Tactical comes of course from "tactics," which while they can involve one person, tend more often when in a military context to involve more than one person. Small, medium and even largish units (but still tactics, as opposed to strategy).

Tactics depend way more on how units work together than on the styles of clothing and firearms the people are equipped with.

The whole "tacticool" movement seems instead to be an individual thing involving trying to get oneself decked out in the most coolest latest most tactical gear available.

Other than being cool, what are you going to do with all that stuff? Seems to me if someone really wants to be prepared for a tactical emergency, a much better way to prepare would involve forming small units of people you know who would be trained together to respond should the need arrive. The weapons, clothing and other gear you have would be secondary to how well you work together as a unit.

Okay, I think maybe I've vented enough. Maybe I will take a walnut and blued steel rifle to the range and ring some steel. :)
Very well spoken and I agree 100%!!!!!

I do use a single point on my AR though!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Curmudgeon rules! Couldn't agree more. I thought the whole idea of a nice, light carbine rifle was to be light. Once you hang everything but the mistletoe on it, it is no longer. Can't recall the last time that I breached a door with the muzzle of anything. But every "wanna be" out there fancies himself as an "operator" in the Sand Box, when most of them can't even spell the Queen's English correctly on a text message.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm old school and very traditional, so none of the above apply to me and my tastes in guns. On the other hand, I'm also very much the "you do your thing, I'll do mine" type, so if someone enjoys the tacticool approach to shooting, more power to them. Then, too, I do my best to reserve judgment on any gun or type of gun or accessory unless I've actually owned and used one. Don't like to see shooters get down on other shooters for what they like or don't like. Not saying this is happening, here, but let's all be careful, okay?
Your point is well taken, NCG. Still, not only does this tacticool movement puzzle me, it also frustrates me. Why? Because although Warbird1 is correct that it's good for the economy, it also strongly influences what kind of products are developed, marketed and then stocked by retailers. Yes, others may do their thing while I do mine- at least in theory. The practical reality, though, is that a strong fashion movement sharply limits my ability to do "my thing" if the things I am interested in buying have been crowded out of the market by tactical stuff.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I stopped paying attention to fashions and trends years ago-anyone remember "Earth Shoes?" The 10MM Auto was supposed to be THE Round of Tomorrow, remember ? The 38 Special is no good for self defense, you know ?
As a Life Member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man-I think Glocks are only for those who can't shoot and polymer, aluminum-titanium ?-frames ? Who wants a frame made out of old pop bottles or soda cans ?. But I have don't have to buy them.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I agree with Ditto, for my taste ,if it aint wood and blue steel it aint mine! I do however have one concession to the "AR" type,it is my Mini 14 .223 wood stock stainless barrel. It provides the same fire power and accuracy as the M.S.R.s but is lighter and more traditional appearing.
I won't trash talk the others as I did have one briefly about fifty years ago while wearing a green costume.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
Age wise I think I qualify for curmudgeon status and I agree with the general sentiment of the OP but I also strongly agree with NCG: Live and let live.

With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy:

If you have more than one optic on your rifle.......you might be a tactisexual.

If you know what a BUIS is.....you might be a tactisexual.

If the term 'cowitness' is important to you......you might be a tactisexual.

If your jewelry consists of braided paracord.....you might be a tactisexual.

If you have a bayonet attached to a rifle with a scope........you might be a tactisexual.

If you have a bipod mounted on a carbine.......you might be a tactisexual.

If your rifle sling is essentially a bungee cord.......you might be a tactisexual.

If you carry extra batteries for your rifle.......you might be a tactisexual.

If you own a rifle chambered for 338 Lapua, 300 Blackout or 50BMG......you might be a tactisexual.

If you can't hit a torso target at 200 yards with iron sights.......you might be a tactisexual.

If your pocketknife has a clip attached or holes drilled in it.......you might be a tactisexual.

If your wardrobe consists primarily of ball caps, polo shirts, cargo pants and hiking boots.....you might be a tactisexual.

If you've ever made a YouTube video about tactical guns and gear......you might be a tactisexual.

If any of this pisses you off.....you are most certainly a tactisexual.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 86 Posts