Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined and I have a question I hope the experts can help me with.
I have a .45/70 Ruger #1 that has on the barrel the inscription "200th year of American Liberty. It is in really good shape. Unfortunately I don't have the box. I was told there were only about 20 of these made.
In good condition what is it worth?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm pretty sure EVERY Ruger made in 1976 had that roll marking. Run of the mill No.1's are a grand +/-.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
One reference I have says that 16,700 No.1s were produced with the Liberty rollmark. That's in all calibers and configurations. You have to drill down into very specific configurations and even then Ruger will never reveal any production number specifics so it's all largely based on anecdotal information and speculation. There are those who collect the Liberty guns made in 1976 and to such a collector yours may have more value. But then again collectors are usually interested in only collector grade items that are like new, unfired, have the box and papers, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One reference I have says that 16,700 No.1s were produced with the Liberty rollmark. That's in all calibers and configurations. You have to drill down into very specific configurations and even then Ruger will never reveal any production number specifics so it's all largely based on anecdotal information and speculation. There are those who collect the Liberty guns made in 1976 and to such a collector yours may have more value. But then again collectors are usually interested in only collector grade items that are like new, unfired, have the box and papers, etc.
Thanks for the replies.
My Dad's best friend traded it to my Grandfather back in the '70s. I talked to him and he is the one who told me there were only 20 of these made in .45/70. Said they are VERY valuable.
I'm hopin' somebody with the cash will say, oh a couple Million.:cool:
Jim

·
Registered
247 Posts
It all depends on what configuration it is.
If it's a 1H (24" heavy barrel), then it is indeed rare and worth a lot of money,

BUT, chances are it's a 1S (22" medium weight barrel). Many more of these were made, but FWIW, it does seem to be the scarcest of the catalogued No. 1s made in 1976.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Shoot it, Hunt with it, and enjoy!

My #1S 45/70 is awesome on deer and elk! with a 465gr cast bullet at 1650fps.

Love this light and fun gun in the woods!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts