Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is a stupid question especially to you pros out there but I'm kind of curious about something. I am a new gun owner and have little experience with semi-automatic pistols. I own a used P95 and have put about 200 rounds through it and I love it. I have noticed that when the magazine is loaded with less than 15 rounds and I put the magazine in and pull the slide back it won't load the round into the chamber. The round gets stuck. It does fine with a fully loaded magazine. Is this by design or is this a flaw with the gun or the magazine? It also does fine with a magazine of less than 15 rounds when loaded into the gun, the slide locked into place and the slide lock released. Just curious that's all. Hope this doesn't sound confusing or stupid but Im sure I will have many more questions out there for you all in the NEAR future. :D

Btw, when I bought this as my first gun I was told maybe a revolver was the way to go since it was simple, didn't jam, etc. but I kinda fell in love with the P-95 since I first saw it and figured I would have more fun with 15 shots vs. 6. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not right, sounds like the angle of the round is different in a less then full magazine. Pulling the slide back may allow/cause the top round to change it's angle.
Someone with more knowledge about this will be along shortly.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
In a semi-auto, the magazine is critical to reliable pistol function. I mean, after all, if bullets can't get to the chamber, it can't fire... So routine cleaning and inspection are a must.

Sounds like the magazine needs a good dis-assembly and cleaning. And while you're in there check the spring... It may be "tweaked" or bent, and it could be weak and just need replaced...

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Donald what you described appears to be what is happening when the bullet tries to enter the chamber. Only part of the bullet goes in and then jams up. Thanks again Donald/Rnettles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had any problems shooting or any other function of the gun for that matter except when loading a less than full magazine and then pulling the slide back is when I'm having issues. Thanks again for all the tips/help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cliff I have watched many people with little experience load and shoot semis. Since the pistol loads when you hit the slide release I am willing to bet that when you pull the slide back manually you may be riding it forward a bit and slowing it down. Pull it back all the way and let your hand slide off of it so it sling shots forward under full spring power. Hope that helps.

Jay

·
Registered
693 Posts
Shdwrdr, that's exactly what Hollywood actors like to do in front of cameras. I'm not sure if it's a truth or another urban legend, picture this: BG that watches alot of action movies will replicate heroes the same way while doing bad things in real life. So gun jams, and BG jails. :)

CLIFF05, how many mags have you tried with this particular gun? If only one, try another. If it does the same thing, the mag is innocent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just want to say thank you for all of the help. I talked to a guy at work about my problem shdwrdr and that is exactly what I was doing wrong. I would pull the slide back and instead of letting it spring forward I would hesitate and "ride" it forward. After I left work yesterday as soon as I got home I pulled my pistol out to see if was the operator and.......it was. [:I] I pulled the slide back like I was supposed to and let it spring forward and it worked just fine. I'm glad I was there by myself because my face was probably red. Anyway this is the first pistol I've ever owned but I'm enjoying it. Thank you again for all of your help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad to hear it Cliff. Nothing more than a learning experience. :)

Blade you're right about Hollywood. The sad part is they show some really stupid and unsafe gun handling stuff that neophytes copy and end up getting themselves hurt. I have always believed that parents teach their kids that TV and movies are make believe but it amazes me how many adults in this country actually believe what they see on the boob tube.

Jay

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah, AD caused by lack of knowledge is a very common source of the serious injuries and accidental death toll. I can forgive unlimited ammo in movies, but never actors fingering triggers with no reason.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Cliff's lesson probably reached 15-20 who will each tell two or three who will tell....no telling how many will be helped...that's the beauty of this forum!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
well there is always OOPS. To shade some lite on fingering trigers for no reason I have a friend that did that. And had a gun go off, part of it is my fault I guess as he was attemping to copy me. I am left handed and I carry a my Browning Hi-Power hammer down on a live round. My safety is between my ears, he of course didn't come with one I guess. I have told him a thousand times to never put your triger in the triger guard while operating the slide.
He nevers touchs his guns when I am around any more, if does I just tell him I have to go. He asked me why once I told him I don't want toend up like the speaker and get shot. He has admitted it was his fault, and of course his wife is never going to let it go.
I figure I have for warned him and I was right he shot a round in the house , lucky it didn't hit anyone.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I once told a rookie cop the same thing-put it away and don't ever touch a gun around me again....he did learn, though....I think they get nervous...and end up making us the same way!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I agree sheepdog, that is why I love the range that I go to most of the time I am the only one there. Safer that way.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Snuffy, that's kinda scary lesson for entire life. I hope your friend has learned it well. Geee, looks like everybody needs to make such dangerous mistake to find out how close it is to fall. Safety is never an option, it's a must. Gun is always loaded even when you think it isn't.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know I'm filing this one away for future reference! I haven't had that problem, but I'm new, and now I hope I'll avoid it entirely. I did read the entire manual, though, and I've had some good examples. The manual tells you to pull the slide fully back by pinching it from behind, and then release it, so it snaps back briskly, just like y'all said.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't had any since I found out it was the operator causing the problem. [:I] I think I was kind of timid at first but now that I am familiar with my gun, I have no problems at all. Glad it was just a learning experience and nothing else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts