Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im more into hand guns and older rifles. My son just bought me a AR 556 as a gift. I love the gun but how or what do you have to do to add a sling to the barrel ?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,407 Posts
Randy Mc, The gas block assembly ... in addition to the gas block itself, also includes the front sight, a bayonet lug, and a "socket" for a quick disconnect sling swivel. Magpul makes a push-button sling swivel that works perfect, here's a link: https://www.magpul.com/products/qd-sling-swivel or you can buy a "single point" sling swivel combo: https://www.magpul.com/products/ms1-ms3-qd-adapter At the rear, the sling loop is part of the stock assembly so you don't have to buy anything extra.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
There should be a hole in the very bottom of the front sight post. That is where the ball of the quick release disconnect goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With a single point sling, should it be attached at barrel or buttstock or is it just personal preference? Sorry, new ar15 owner here.

·
Registered
440 Posts
With a single point sling, should it be attached at barrel or buttstock or is it just personal preference? Sorry, new ar15 owner here.
I would think that if you attached a single point sling to the barrel, you will end up with the muzzle pointing at your chin if you let the rifle hang. :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is made for two point sling. As stated above, you attach a QD sling point at the front and then loop it through the stock.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Alternatively, you can replace the receiver end cap with something like this... then your single point sling clips on the loop in the end cap. Thats what I did with my Ruger AR556

·
Registered
222 Posts
Another option for a rear QD is the Tango Down Carbine Sling Mount # PR4.

You can add this without removing the stock and buffer tube.

The only downside is that the stock won't collapse fully but mine hits the first detent in the 6 position adjustability just before it gets to the sling mount collar and it still fits in the case just fine.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
797 Posts
UTG makes a clamp-on socket similar to the one MKIV posted. I have it on my AR556:

Upside to the UTG mount is that the QD ring can attach to either side of the rifle.

Just for the record, that scope and mount have been replaced with a UTG carry handle/sight.

If you want a QD point on the stock buttstock, you can purchase a Magpul QD socket that is basically a bolt-on QD socket into which the ring snaps.

If you look closely, you can see the one I have bolted on my stock:

I later switched it to the other side of the stock, as it works better on the left side for a right-hand user. In the end, I changed the stock to a Magpul CTR stock, which has molded-in sockets.

Aqualung

·
Registered
222 Posts
I like that UTG unit. It's very similar to the TD unit, which has 3 QD positions, one per side plus the bottom.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
797 Posts
I like that UTG unit. It's very similar to the TD unit, which has 3 QD positions, one per side plus the bottom.

Ah, OK. I'm not familiar with the TD model.

Thanks for the photo.

Aqualung

1 - 20 of 22 Posts