Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a question, and I apologize if this has been hit before. I just finished my first build. I have a standard receiver with a nylon bolt buffer, I have polished and radiused the bold and added a KIDD extractor, it has a Green Mountain 16.5" fluted bull barrel, and a Boyd's Tacticool stock. I have added a Blackhawk 9-13" bipod and an eBay scope. Now that you know the specs, my question has to do with ammo selection. I have read that many of the bull barrels are picky about ammo. This confuses me just a little. I mainly have this gun for fun plinking, and have a stock (read 4000 rounds) of federal bulk, that I used with the gun prior to the build (I have not shot it since finishing it this afternoon). How would I know it the gun is picky about its ammo?? Is this more of an accuracy thing or is it a failure to function thing when it comes to ammo?? Please help me because I don’t want to mess up this rifle with poor ammo selection. Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to other improvements that I can make to the rifle I welcome them (I plan on adding a match trigger set and extended bolt handle in the future). Could someone please let me know how to post pics????

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
My Sporter 10/22 has always done well with Federal bulk or Mini-mag hollowpoints. I don't know that a custom barrel would make a difference, it's usually the action and magazine that determine function. The barrel mostly determines the accuracy. I can see where the chamber geometry would affect feeding, though.

I've noticed that photobucket and other photo hosting is not dependable, and many forum member's photos go "poof". I upload photos to my Ruger Forum album ( see the "Pictures" button just below the home page banner) and put a link to them in my post.

Like this:

http://rugerforum.net/pictures/bearcatter-s-photos/p684-10-22-sporter.html

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Picture addition is easy. Go to the very top of the site. You will see picture. Click through and add picture. Waiting to see the pictures.

·
Banned
402 Posts
You may have 4000 rounds of tack driving ammo or you may have 4000 rounds of so, so ammo. 22 rifles often exhibit a desire for one kind of ammo they really like and it shows when a good test is done, Not from a bi-pod but from a solid two position rest, one forward on the for-end and one under the rear of the stock. different ammo is tested with a little rest between shooting, a slight cooling of the barrel helps, they don't get to hot but it just keeps the test a little more honest. 25 yards can tell a lot.
shoot for tight groups, don't worry if they miss the bull, your looking for tight shot groups.
Purchase ammo in small quantities for testing, I will bet if you do your part you will see quite a difference, even with bulk ammo, perhaps not the reliability of target ammo , but a difference. Depending on your chamber, your piece may like some better that others.
The chamber can add a little to function and accuracy but IMHO the barrel tells the tail.
I have seen good barrels shoot very well with different ammo,
but shoot extremely well with what the barrel prefers. It's a 22 thing I guess. I hope your 4000 rounds works for you. Also a simple pull of a bore snake helps to smooth out the test.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Every gun is different and every one seems to like different ammo sometime its function problems sometime its accuracy issues. I always try different brands and different gr bullets to see what is best for your gun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may have 4000 rounds of tack driving ammo or you may have 4000 rounds of so, so ammo. 22 rifles often exhibit a desire for one kind of ammo they really like and it shows when a good test is done, Not from a bi-pod but from a solid two position rest, one forward on the for-end and one under the rear of the stock. different ammo is tested with a little rest between shooting, a slight cooling of the barrel helps, they don't get to hot but it just keeps the test a little more honest. 25 yards can tell a lot.
shoot for tight groups, don't worry if they miss the bull, your looking for tight shot groups.
Purchase ammo in small quantities for testing, I will bet if you do your part you will see quite a difference, even with bulk ammo, perhaps not the reliability of target ammo , but a difference. Depending on your chamber, your piece may like some better that others.
The chamber can add a little to function and accuracy but IMHO the barrel tells the tail.
I have seen good barrels shoot very well with different ammo,
but shoot extremely well with what the barrel prefers. It's a 22 thing I guess. I hope your 4000 rounds works for you. Also a simple pull of a bore snake helps to smooth out the test.
Thanks that shines some light on the subject.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Guys, Does Spanky's 16.5 Green Mountain bull barrel have a chamber that will have problems with CCI Stingers? I've read somewhere (on this forum?) that some chambers have that problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My Talo 1276VLE seems to really like CCI Velocitors the most. I will shoot federal bulk pack but as far as good groups it likes the CCI's

·
Registered
119 Posts
With a gun that nice-looking, you sure want it to shoot right.
Re: your first question. Other guys have answered, but I'll note that in my experience, the ammo doesn't hurt the barrel any, but allowing something hard or dirty to hit the lands is not a good thing. Clean it well and frequently, but keep a cleaning rod off the lands at the muzzle. (You probably already know this.) And don't drop any ammo on the ground and then pick it up and shove it into the magazine with dirt on it. (You probably know that too, but I've seen guys do it.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts