Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have already answered my own question after going through all 25 pages of the gallery, but which is more popular, brass or stainless steel grip frames? I didn't see one single brass framed pistol in the gallery, but I've always thought brass frames were highly prized. :confused: From what I saw, I think the gallery should be re-named "Show me your stainless steel revolvers". :D

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Brass framed ruger single actions are scarce. The some old armys and super blackhawks left the factory most are aftermarket.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a factory brass XR3 Red "in the wings" I'm trying to buy. But my "bird in the hand" is a Stainless Steel grip frame. Tryin' to decide if I want to buy the brass or not. I know they are rare, but are they considered desirable if I want to sell it in the future?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The factory brass grip frames are scarce and valuable as you've already found out. And putting one on a gun that didn't ship with one is desirable to some folks while others are not as smitten by the look. To a true collector the guns that shipped with a brass grip frame are the holy grail and you have to get a letter from Ruger to verify that. Putting a factory brass grip frame on a gun doesn't elevate it to collector status but it's an attractive and a valuable enhancement to some folks. I would say the biggest reason you don't see more brass framed Rugers is the lack of availability of factory frames. Secondary is that not everyone likes the look better than a stock frame.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Yup, gotta factor in the numbers. Think big picture and all the thousands of stainless one produced compared to the few hundred brass ones produced. Then figure the membership here and how many of the respectful owners are here.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
After market brass grip frames were available years ago but they were in the rough (to say the least). I think they were $200 or so. They required some skill to be fitted correctly so they didn't look like a hack job and on top of that not all Ruger grip frames are the same (different styles and versions).

A few years ago some guy was on the other Ruger forum was asking about the market for them. I think he was contemplating making some but he quit since there wasn't enough interest.

So even if you did buy one of those after market brassy back then, the increase in value or ROI was iffy.

Yes they are rare. I've seen one in a collection but I don't think I've ever seen one for sale in a shop.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Brass on a blue gun is rather striking, but not many people are willing to pay the price of admission. My brother slowly getting this old model single six converted to .32 mag with a brass birdshead and English walnut grips.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got the MR-3DB brass frame in the mail today. Going to take some work, but I'm as happy as a kid at Christmas. Didn't realize I'd have to come up with a new set of grips though. Different size/shape grip frame. DUH! My brand new Esmeralda grips won't fit. Sad news for me because I loved the look and the feel of those grips and she doesn't make grips for the Super Blackhawk grip frame. Oh well, the quest starts all over.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Wave mentioned earlier that some people just don't dig the look of brass - I'm a person for which the 'style' of brass grip frames is completely wasted. It's a turn off to my eye. I can find "pinto's" attractive, so it's not really just a matter of mis-matched finish, but brass just turns me off. I have two Henry rifles with brass frames and had one other, and if I didn't really want those rifles for other reasons, I wouldn't have brass in my life except for cartridge casings and hull case heads. And if nickel plated brass were more durable and didn't give away its core when you neck turned, I'd rather have nickel plated cartridge brass too.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I, for one, like the combination of blue steel, brass, and walnut, as evidenced by my Super Blackhawk:

This didn't ship from the factory, but is a Ruger grip frame, added when the cost was $20 from Ruger!

And, a few more in addition to the Ruger:

From left to right: The Super Blackhawk, a Colt Single Action Army, a Uberti .22 Stallion, and a Hy Hunter Western Six Shooter. The backstrap on the Colt is from an 1851 Navy; the Hy Hunter has a brass trigger guard from a Uberti Cattleman and the backstrap from a Hawes Western Marshal.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I, for one, like the combination of blue steel, brass, and walnut, as evidenced by my Super Blackhawk:

This didn't ship from the factory, but is a Ruger grip frame, added when the cost was $20 from Ruger!

And, a few more in addition to the Ruger:

From left to right: The Super Blackhawk, a Colt Single Action Army, a Uberti .22 Stallion, and a Hy Hunter Western Six Shooter. The backstrap on the Colt is from an 1851 Navy; the Hy Hunter has a brass trigger guard from a Uberti Cattleman and the backstrap from a Hawes Western Marshal.

Bob Wright
Bob, you need to send a slobber towel along when you post pics like that. Personally, I love the contrast and it's going to take me a long while to get one to look like that because I can't send it off to a fancy gunsmith for the work. But I'll get there, sooner or later. Thanks for the pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts