Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping small revolvers for CC and trying to wrap my brain around the bullet pull issue I've read some are having with their LCR 9mm.
Does it seem to be any more of a problem with the LCR then that of small light semi auto 9mm that are so popular?

I used to have a Kahr CW9 that I shot all sorts of different ammo through (plenty of Federal) and If I ever had a bullet pull issue I never knew it. The gun shot everything fine. The CW9 and LCR 9 are identical in weight when loaded and there are plenty semi auto's lighter than that.

I really like the idea of a small 9mm revolver.
I have more 9mm ammo
It's cheaper for sure, and in my area it is much much easier to find than .38. When the recent ammo crunch hit I could get 9 but forget .38 or .357.

For those who have the LCR 9 was it hard to find ammo that wouldn't pull?
Is it that most factory ammo works fine and only a few will pull or is it the other way around.

If I can get past this I'll probably buy one as the moon clips don't scare me.

If not I'll end up getting a LCR .357 or heavens sake maybe a Jframe:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently bought an LCR 9mm. My first trip to the range I shot 50 rounds with my target at 25 feet. I managed to keep the big majority in an 8 inch circle with an even distribution. I am 70+ and have arthritis in my shooting hand so I was satisified.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Here's a pretty good discussion of the issue :
Do pistols have crimp jump problems?

Summary is that it is way, way more prevalent with small revolvers than semis. Others will be along with LCR9 experiences. I think it is more the exception than the rule but certainly something to be aware of, especially when trying a new ammo load.

Absolutely nothing wrong with LCR357 though. That was my choice.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Crimp jump is something that occurs with revolvers and not so much with semi autos. The lighter weight of the LCR9 is what contributes to crimp jump. My 9mm SP101s have never experienced any problems with crimp jump in factory loads or my reloads.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have an LCR 9mm, have shot 200 rounds of FMJ and JHP ammunition through it and did not experience one instance of crimp jump.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link slimjim good info.
How's the recoil.....is it really that stout? I'm reading its closer to the .357 than the .38

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
My LCR9 is my EDC

I have fired 1,850+ rounds and experienced 7 crimp jumps all from reloads.
It is good to experience a few crimp jumps so you know what to expect and can quickly recover.
I am more accurate with the LCR9 than with the LCR357 and find the moon clips, sometimes called star clips a terrific step up from speed loaders.
The clips are quick and easy in and out.
My carry ammo is Hornady Critical Duty 9mm Luger+P 135 gr Flexlock.
Never had a crimp jump with the carry ammo after 100+ rounds.
Here is a good guide:
Consolidated List of Boberg Compatible 9mm Ammunition - Boberg Arms | XR9-S | Power. Performance. Prestige.
Stick with the Known Compatible:
Avoid the Known InCompatible:

If you have any doubts, go with the LCR357.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I find the recoil not that stout at all.To me, it is very close to 38sp.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Abarrena, I saw that list of ammo compatible with the Boberg I think that's a good place to start for testing ammo.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
Before I sold mine I had no issues of crimp jump, though I was told to avoid Federal ammo. I used PPU, Monarch, Remington, PMC, and Winchester with zero issues (if I remember correctly). Recoil of the 9 mm is more than a 38 LCR, but not quite to a 357. My brother-in-law is fairly recoil sensitive and preferred it over my 357 SP101 (which ways a lot more).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have experienced crimp jump to the point that the bullet fell out of the cylinder after firing 4 rounds then opening the cylinder to check. The bullet was completely separated from the case. Since the powder was loose in the cylinder but the primer was intact, not sure what would have happened if I had pulled the trigger.... Glad I didn't find out!

Now as a disclaimer, this was with really cheap, aluminum cased ammo. However, I have seen some crimp jump from all three of the other types of ammo that I have fired in the gun. It was minor and didn't affect the performance of the gun. With WWB 115 grain FMJ, there was very minor movement of the bullet in the 5th round but it was there. I fire four rounds, open the cylinder and look at the fifth bullet. It's pretty apparent when the bullet moves forward in the case as new copper shows above the top edge of the brass. I didn't have my calipers with me at the range but it was no more than a couple of hundredths of an inch by eye.

Same with Hornady 115 JHP and with Liberty Civil Defense +P. Minor movement of the fifth bullet from the case but not enough to have caused a stoppage. BTW, I'm a huge convert to the Civil Defense and that's what I carry in the LCR9 with a spare moon clip of it. Long story short, too late, I know, the LCR9 is my EDC.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As much as I want one I think I'm going to pass.
One of the great things about a revolver with cased ammo is not having to cycle and check different types of ammo to make sure you can run it.
It's one less thing to have to worry about.

Thanks everyone for the insight.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As much as I want one I think I'm going to pass.
One of the great things about a revolver with cased ammo is not having to cycle and check different types of ammo to make sure you can run it.
It's one less thing to have to worry about.

Thanks everyone for the insight.
Use good quality ammo and you shouldn't have a problem. Don't let others anecdotal evidence, including mine, convince you. I had an LCR 38 and frickin' hated it. Firing .38 special ammo was just barely ok, but +P was just downright painful for me. The idea of firing .357 from the same frame as the LCR9 just makes me wince.

The 9 has better ballistics than the .38 and less recoil, cost and better availability than the .357 mag. I trust my life with it.

·
12,955 Posts
Use good quality ammo and you shouldn't have a problem. Don't let others anecdotal evidence, including mine, convince you. I had an LCR 38 and frickin' hated it. Firing .38 special ammo was just barely ok, but +P was just downright painful for me. The idea of firing .357 from the same frame as the LCR9 just makes me wince.

The 9 has better ballistics than the .38 and less recoil, cost and better availability than the .357 mag. I trust my life with it.
I love an honest review.
Talk about it's warts and its beauty.
I carry the Hornady Flexlock because the CANNELURED BULLET WITH CRIMPED CASE ensures no bullet setback during feeding.
I'll look into the Liberty Civil Defense +P.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd go with the 357 over the 38 LCR & probably never shoot .357's. I do like the FlexLock bullets and would feel comfortable using those in the 9mm, it's the range ammo that would bug me.

·
12,955 Posts
I love an honest review.
Talk about it's warts and its beauty.
I carry the Hornady Flexlock because the CANNELURED BULLET WITH CRIMPED CASE ensures no bullet setback during feeding.
I'll look into the Liberty Civil Defense +P.
I researched the Liberty Civil Defense +P in 9mm.
I still prefer the Hornady Flexlock.

I'd go with the 357 over the 38 LCR & probably never shoot .357's. I do like the FlexLock bullets and would feel comfortable using those in the 9mm, it's the range ammo that would bug me.
2,000+ rounds through my LCR357.
80% .38 Special, 20% .357 Mag
If I didn't have such a love affair with my LCR9, the LCR357 would be my EDC carrying Hornady 38 Special +P 110 gr FTX® Critical Defense®

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts

Better ballistics, yes; less recoil, no. The 9mm definitely is snappier than the 38.

·
Registered
198 Posts
500 + rounds.

Wally Worlds Winchester Whites
Win T & D
Federal 115
Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty
Sellier & Belloit 115
Rem Golden Sabre 147

Never had any crimp creep.

Run 1st cylinder x 4, check the 5th, never a problem. Same with the last run of the day.

Haven't tried Tula, 1st reloaded, or anything in a plastic bag from the gun show yet.

Recoil is more "stout" than my steel Taurus 85 standard pressure .38's, but the LCR is slightly lighter.

I gave up on .357 years ago because I couldn't practice enough before I needed an ice pack, but the 9mm is much more controllable than Elmer Keith's finger snapper.

Interestingly, with the larger Hogue grips (put that pinkie to work), the muzzle rise is controllable enough for an almost natural "2 to center mass, 1 to head" (on paper of course).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts