Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both a Mark iii Competition Target Model and a Target Model. Both are accurate shooting handguns which I've done some work on, resulting in improved accuracy by making them easier and smoother to fire.

I also own a S&W Model 41; owned a Hammerli Xesse Sport and I'm considering a Mark ii Government Target Model. Yes, I like accurate .22 lr pistols.

For those of you who have shot both the Mark iii Target, Mark iii Competition Target and the Mark ii Government Model, could you offer an opinion how they compare? My question is whether I should try to find a Government Target Model.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,237 Posts
rt11002003, With Ruger ... you get what you get. They all operate the same and all shoot quite well ... some better than others but it's not so much the different models as it is manufacturing tolerances. I have a MKIII-512 (5 1/2" bull barrel, stainless) and a KMKII-678 GC Competition Model (6 7/8" slabside barrel). In theory the Competition Model should be more accurate but in actuality, there's virtually no difference. Out of the box, the 5 1/2" bull had a better trigger but a few strokes on the Competition's trigger with a ceramic stone made them pretty equal. All internal parts are exactly the same ... the primary difference being the barrel type and length.

Of the different models you listed, it really boils down to which one you like the best based on your own criteria. You can always change grips or sights to suit your needs so don't let minor things influence your decision.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lowegan, your opinion reflects my own. Just checking, sometimes someone has a pearl of wisdom to share. Thanks. I have scopes mounted the Mark iii's, a Burris Fastfire 4 on the Model 41 and had a red dot (of some kind) on the Hammerli. I think I'll buy another Hammerli; for accuracy they're hard to beat.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The one reason I would jump on a Gov't Model is that we don't have one in the collection, yet. Not that it will be any more accurate than our other Marks, but that long 6 7/8" bull barrel is not found on any other version of a Mark and the Gov't can be hard to find. Grab one if you can find one at a decent price, same with the 10" MKII.

Iowegan is right about the accuracy, though. We have Standards that shoot right with our Targets. A Mark is still basically a Mark.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I agree with North Country Gal. If you have an opportunity to buy a MKII Government model, I would do it. I can't say that they necessarily shoot any better than a 5.5 in heavy bbl model, but the heft and balance is really nice, and they don't make them anymore, what more reason do you need? :eek:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have a Mark II Govt I bought new back in the 80s and it is absolutely my favorite Ruger Firearm, hands down! I don't know if it would be more accurate than the comp model but in my opinion, any inaccuracy problem would be my fault, not the pistols'. The only thing I added to mine was a set of thumb rest grips...Perfect!:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RAC55, I like those grips. They look a lot like my grips on my Competition Target, but the design on yours is better.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My MKI and MKII Government Target Model sporting checkered walnut grips that were available from Ruger twenty-five years ago. I don't know if they are available now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts