Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Recently I came into a Ruger Mk-I that is stamped with a U.S. mark on the top of the pistol, just behind the barrel. Based on the SN I was able to confirm it was manufactured in 1956.

Based on some internet searching, I thought I'd request a letter to see if in-fact it was part of a government contract (I also sent in a couple requests on two fixed sight 4" GPs I have as well). Anyhow, the letter simply said "Our records indicate this standard pistol was shipped in November 1956 as model Standard, caliber .22 Long Rifle". I realize the letters are inexpensive as compared to a S&W letter, but I was hoping for a bit more info.

Is there any other reasonable way to confirm if this is a government contract pistol?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Between 1956-1986, Ruger sold approx. 23,000 MK-1's and MK-2's to the government for the service marksmanship program.

It is rumored that Ruger sold other MK's to the government supposedly for clandestine purposes.

Posting a good picture of the pistol here might help others more knowledgeable than me provide you with more information.

·
Registered
696 Posts
welcome to the Forum, best to look up the serial number range against those that have been published over the years in various books and noted in the RENE ( Red eagleNews Exchange) and see if your gun falls within any of these ranges,,,thats about all one can do as the information is "proprietary" and unless you can find the gun listed on some arsenal inventory list ( very UNLIKELY) it is what it is.....ALSO compare to other "noted" "U.S." guns as to how the letters are stamped, where, etc, as there are "fakes" out there, folks trying to sell at a higher price to military collectors. My wife used to collect those years ago but gave up and sold them all,as little or no good info was ever found, and she just went in another direction collecting old Ruger 22.s

Yes, Colt ,Ruger High Standard all made rimfires for the military for use, practice and training, there are military manuals out there that show all of this............

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 1956 (Jul to Nov) T678's made for the government under the "First Contract" numbered about 4,100 pieces. They were in the serial number ranges 75845 to 79945 and 150036 to 150058. (as per Hiddleson's Encyclopedia of Ruger Semi-Automatic Pistols).

As posted earlier, a picture would help confirm the "US" rollmark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts