Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's stamped .223 on the back of the upper. Can it safely fire 5.56?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I do with no problems. The owners manual does say ".223 Rem.(5.56)". The target model is chambered for .223 only.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can definitely shoot 5.56 from your 187-series Mini. As yuccales stated, the target model is the one Mini that is .223 only.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a couple of questions. What are the differences between the .223 & 5.56, I have reloaded military brass in .223s for years & & never had a problem. I'm hearing don't use 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

The next question is has the accuracy of the Mini14 improved? I've known several people who have had them & they weren't very accurate. Has Ruger gotten this sorted out? I like the feel & looks of the Mini14 way above the AR guns.
Thanks Frank

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a couple of questions. What are the differences between the .223 & 5.56, I have reloaded military brass in .223s for years & & never had a problem. I'm hearing don't use 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

The next question is has the accuracy of the Mini14 improved? I've known several people who have had them & they weren't very accurate. Has Ruger gotten this sorted out? I like the feel & looks of the Mini14 way above the AR guns.
Thanks Frank
Addressing the ammo issue, .223 Rem, and 5.56mm are virtually the same round, the main difference is, .223 is loaded for sporting purposes, and 5.56mm is loaded to NATO military spec's. The biggest thing you need to concern yourself with is bullet weight. With any Mini-14 it's best to stay with a load that has a bullet weight of 45 to 55 Grs. as they will offer the best accuracy in the Mini-14's barrel twist rate and length. Avoid steel case ammo, it will eventually cause damage to the bolt, shoot brass case ammo only....

The accuracy has improved greatly compared to the original Mini-14's from 35 years ago, I owned one back in the early 80's, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 50 yards with the thing, fun to shoot, great for casual plinking, easy to maintain, but accuracy sucked....
I just picked up a new 582 series Ranch rifle in stainless, see my post here on it, I just posted a couple of targets from 50 and 100 yards, first time shooting it.....still no tack driver, but a hell of a lot better than the first Mini I owned way back when.......

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Thanks Surf.

I was hoping someone who actually uses one would chime in. I really like the Mini14 platform over the AR platform & it seems they now at least shoot acceptably.
Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts