Ruger Forum banner

Question about the AK47

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  DCD327 
#1 ·
(Knowledge base here on my part is nonexistent)

Watching a true crime show the other night and the weapon used in the murder was a full auto AK47. This weapon was available to the bad guy as he was a high ranking Crip, and as we know they are exempt from gun laws... :rolleyes:

It was a spray and pray assault on an apartment complex to send a message. Of course, a completely innocent bystander was killed.

So my question - the statement was made by one of the detectives "the full auto AK47 is notoriously inaccurate". Would you think that true? And how about accuracy on the semi?

#4 ·
I'm really an AR guy but here's how I understand it...

The traditional AK is made in a cave. As far as I know it's their looseness that makes them poorly accurate and also their design.

It's cheap to make because most of it is stampings vs. machined parts. It's reliable because its loose as hell. I believe those two characteristics don't make for a tack driver.

I guess the ammo is ok but I"m not sure. There are AR's in 7.62x39 (the AK's ammo). I wonder if that's because the bullet's bigger or the ammo is dirt cheap.

#10 ·
I agree with the others here. I own 3, and they are loose fitting, but always go bang. The sks is a more accurate rifle, however the ak is capable of 2 to 3 moa with irons off a bench. If you improve the sights with lets say a mojo rear sight, or redot the groups are also smaller, the basic factory sights are not made for accuracy, just combat. As for the full auto, usually after the 3rd round the muzzle is moving so much on any gun that its not pinpoint accurate. Short bursts keep any of the full autos shooting tighter. Atleast the ones I have fired. So in my opinion full auto is best used for suppressive fire in combat so others can advance or maneuver to a better position. For well aimed fire, semi is more effective. The ak also fits in this category. Also alot of people have never fired or been trained to use a full auto which also hurts accuracy ak included.;)

#6 ·
It is capable of 3 or less MOA depending on the build, ammo, shooter. Full auto will not provide marksmanship like semi-auto will.

Now, worn barrels from extensive usage will make any AK inaccurate... That, or as the industry likes to poke fun, any IO is inaccurate and likely to blow apart.

#7 ·
As stated, ANY weapon on full auto, will NOT be accurate. You can NOT hold it on target. There is a reason they call it "spray and pray".

As for basic AK-47 accuracy..........with cheap bulk ammo in both and shooting from a rest at 100 yards. There is hardly a nickels worth of difference in my AR and my AK. You put good ammo in the AR it groups much better. Never had anything but cheap ammo in the AK, so can't say to how much better it would be

#8 ·
The way the AK series rifles are built....they have a lot of mass which reciprocates during operation. Which in turn creates some fairly impressive harmonics during cycling. For what it was designed for it is not an issue. If you are wanting to shoot little groups to show you friends it probably isn't the most inherently accurate platform. Here's a good video showing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D33g-BsIF1s

#9 ·
I kind of figured the full auto would be a little iffy, but I guess if you can put enough lead in the right general direction in a short amount of time you'll probably at least make them keep their head down.

#11 ·
I love the people who are like "AK's won't hit anyting past like 50 yards"

I've fired real AK47's when I was in the Army, and I had a WASR-10 and they shoot as well as pretty much any other mass produced rifle, anyone who says "you'll be lucky to hit the target at 100 yards" doesn't know what they're talking about. I have an SKS that is actually very accurate, another rifle that gun show mouth breathers will tell you "you won't hit anyting with".

Keep in mind these were designed so that a conscript grunt could use them to hit a target out to 300 meters and they were also designed to be made in mass quantities for low production costs. This is why the Soviets decided to adopt the AK47 instead of just producing a mag-fed select fire version of the already in service SKS, the AK was cheaper to make.

#14 ·
From what Ive seen on several occasions, they are a spray and pray weapon. The barrel flops all over the place. Since Im an accuracy nut, I wouldnt give 10 cents for one. But I have read several times since they are so loose, they will go bang no matter how dirty or abused. I just personally have no use for one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.