Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question about the accuracy of a M77/17 before I purchase one for myself

Good Morning,
I have been looking at a Ruger M77/17 at a nearby gun store and I have absolutely fell in love with it. It is a brand new model with the grey laminated stock and stainless barrel. I'm threatening to buy one for my Birthday/Christmas present. But before I buy one I want to know if anyone has owned/owns one of these? and what kind of accuracy can be achieved with this particular rifle? The ammo I plan to use is the tried and true Hornady V-max 17 gr.

I have read a lot of reviews on the the web and some people are saying that the M77/17 is not as accurate as the Marlin, Savage or CZ. And the M77/17 is not worth the extra money. It is my opinion after looking at the different models of 17 HMR's available, that the M77/17 is the heaviest built, and more durable looking, and the bolt appears to be a whole lot more sturdy made than the other model's of 17 hmr's I have looked at.

I know the web is open for all kinds of opinions from all kinds of people. Some people say steer clear of the M77/17 and buy a CZ rifle. While others say the Savage and Marlin are far superior to the Ruger. While others say the M77/17 is the best. So I want to hear the facts straight from Ruger M77/17 "OWNERS ONLY" and your "honest experience" with this rifle before I spend 679.00 (minus the scope) for one. I own a Ruger Sp101 .327 magnum, Ruger P345, Ruger 22/45, and (2) 10/22's,one of which I bought in 1987 with the Mannlicher stock. All my Rugers are fine firearms and I'm having a hard time believing that the M77/17 is really a bad shooter and not worth the extra money like a lot of people are saying.

Thank you so much for your honest input and advise.

Have a wonderful day,
KP:):)

Ruger® Rotary Magazine 77/17® Bolt-Action Rifle Model 7027

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
Hello Ride 787,

Thought I'd respond so you know your request is online. Don't see any responses yet but I am eager to hear them, just as are you. The review at ChuckHawks.com is pretty good under the rim fire rifle section.

·
Registered
191 Posts
have owned one since they were first introduced and love it. It is a tack driver and was money well spent. it made the cartridge look so good I didn't bat an eye when I found a 17 single six.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Ruger design is the easiest of the major brands of bolt actions to glass bed and tinker with to get the most from it.

You could buy ten different rifles of the same model and see varying degrees of accuracy out of the box for any brand. The key to achieving utmost accuracy from any rifle is a willingness to try different loads, adjust the bedding, and free float the barrel if necessary.

The Ruger bolt actions are the sturdiest and easiest to tear down and reassemble. That alone is the reason why they are the only bolt action rifles I have in my aresenal, and the only ones I would consider for future purchase.

I have a 77/22 rimfire that is the sister model to the one in your link (laminate stock, 24" target barrel, etc...), except it's in .22LR.

http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7722/specSheets/7021.html

It was pretty accurate out of the box, but once I free floated the barrel, it became the most accurate rimfire rifle I've ever seen. A 5 shot group at 100 yards is one ragged hole with Federal Automatch Target ammo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love mine, I use it the most of any rifle I have, More than my 10/22's. I have two of them.

I can not compare it to other 17hmr because it the only one I have. My friend has an 77/22m that he converted to the 17hmr. He like it very much. It the reason I got mine.

Ethan

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You could buy ten different rifles of the same model and see varying degrees of accuracy out of the box for any brand.

The Ruger bolt actions are the sturdiest and easiest to tear down and reassemble.
Truer statements are hard to find.

If you can assemble furniture, hang pictures, and find things on the internet, you can do most of the work required to tweak Ruger firearms. Do you need to? Not really, but most do.

The upside to the 10/22 and 77/XX's is that barrel swaps are 15 minute activities. Really good barrels can be had from multiple sources, and you can get a lot of flexibility from both models.

Accuracy is most often a matter of finding the rifles favorite ammo. Even the aftermarket barrels will show distinct preferences. The barrels that come on the Varmint models with the laminated stocks are generally very good as is.

If you happen to get a bad one, politely cry over the phone to a Ruger customer service rep. They will take care of the problem quickly, or so I've heard. Never had a bad one myself.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I do not own one, have the Savage, so excuse me for chiming in. I do have several friends who have different models. From hearing about and shooting different ones, I simply don't think you can go wrong with this HMR. It is simply an inherently accurate round no matter what you put it through. In other words get the one you like and don't look back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.