Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be traveling to my sister's house near Buffalo, NY on Tuesday right after we cast our vote for Romney for an election returns watching party.
I will have to cross a small portion of "The Peoples Republik of MD" to get into PA and I am ok there.

My question for you NY residents: What do I need to do with my gun and magazines/ammo while driving in NY?
Is it similar to MD in that the magazines must be unloaded and they and the ammo locked in a separate part of the vehicle not accessible from the passenger compartment?
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,417 Posts
The best way to travel through NY or any state that has restriction is to carry a copy of Title 18-Part 1-Chapter 44 926A of the federal code with you. Some law enforcement may not know the law. DO keep the firearm in a locked box. Keep ammo in another locked box. No ammo in Magazines or speed loaders in the trunk or if no trunk as far back in the vehicle as possible in a locked box. By NY Law if you are traveling across the state and can legally possess the firearm where you started and where you are going you can transport it as above. But if you stop in NY and spend the night in a motel/hotel/camp ground etc you are in violation of NY law and can be arrested if found with a firearm. Stopping for gas and food would most likely be OK but this is not a given in NY.

United States Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44
§ 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console]

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
In short if your final destination is NY, non residents can't have handguns period.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I live 15 minutes from the N.Y. border and I can tell you, there is no way I'd have one of my handguns in my vehicle when I drive over that border.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If we are speaking of handguns, New York does not recognize carry licenses, but does allow for non state residents to legally possess a handgun if they are attending an NRA sanctioned match. The time limit is 48 hours and the possessor must have proof of being enrolled in the match.
Rifles are different in that you have 72 hours to transition the state if travelling through, no other listed restrictions apply.
This is all based on the premise that the person in possession is legally allowed to possess in their home state.
Section 265 of the New York State Penal law is where this information is listed.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It seems New York is even more communist than California. If you are interested there is a very good app titled CCW available for IPad, Ipod and phone, that covers all 50 states and reciprocity. It updates pretty frequently to keepu p with changes in each states laws.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems New York is even more communist than California. If you are interested there is a very good app titled CCW available for IPad, Ipod and phone, that covers all 50 states and reciprocity. It updates pretty frequently to keepu p with changes in each states laws.
After hearing from you guys, I don't think I will be carrying on my trip to NY. Yes RetiredSeabee, sounds as though NY is indeed even more communist than CA and MD as well. I thought MD was bad.
I don't travel that much in general and usually go south where they are respectful of my 2A rights.
Makes me so glad I live in WV. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As they said, forget NY unless going to shoot as mentioned. NY is bad, NYC is worse.

NJ is similar too. Remember the guy that moved to NJ from CO and was sent to prison. He got paroled after awhile.

Lived in MA most of my life, all kinds of NY stories. My wife moved some of our guns herself from MA to WI over a year ago, I told her if she did not get through NY in a day it was her peril! She wanted to stop and visit someone, etc.

MA was no fun for travelers. MA decades ago posted the borders with large signs saying mandatory 1 year jail if caught in MA unlicensed with a gun. Still a law, hard to find the signs, and it gets dropped at times on plea bargaining.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I live 15 minutes from the N.Y. border and I can tell you, there is no way I'd have one of my handguns in my vehicle when I drive over that border.
Too bad NY isn't more concerned about real criminals....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts