Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MKII gov.model (stainless).I'm wanting to give it a mat finish I'm thinking about blasting it with glass shot then using Plum brown on it to give it a mat brown finish.I know the frame is two halves welded together then ground smooth.Ive never seen a MK with a mat finish.By blasting it do you think it will bring out the seem line on the frame were the two halves meet?

·
Registered
681 Posts
finish

yes, you can simply bead blast the outside ( please take the gun all apart first or you'll have grit in it forever)
we use "used" glass beads and at a fairly low pressure, so as to NOT "aggresively " remove any material, just enough to matte the surface...I do not think that plum brown or such or cold blue for certain will NOT "color" the surface as it is stainless,NOT carbon steel (4140 chrome moly or such)
if you want to "color" or darken the surface, then you need to use something like the solution from Dulite, but that is a "hot blue"process,just diffrent formulations.......

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Glass blasting a stainless revolver should peen the surface, not erode it. I've media blasted blued Mark II's to strip them, which can remove material, and did not reveal the seam, so I feel you'd have to irresponsibly fail to pay attention to the blasting progress to go way, way too far and reveal the seam.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I do plan on striping gun down and only blast the two pieces.I use the glass blast at work on fixtures and plan on doing it there.The plum brown is a hot not cold I have used it on a muzzle loader and some cast iron banks I made the kids.You have to pre heat metal to 200 degrees then apply it will sizzle and bubble up some.Wash and repeat to get the desired look.Do you still think it will not work on the stainless?Im not familiar with the Dulite but I will look into to that.
Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Do you plan to change the finish on the mainspring housing and back of the bolt? Stainless steel will not brown or blue like carbon steel or cast iron will.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys.I will have to look into another finish.I could be wrong but isn't the bolt on a blued model MK stainless?If so what method do they use to blue bolt?Im looking to get a mat brown / dark earth look on the frame and upper.
I like to do all if not most of the work on my guns but I've never delt with trying to give a stainless gun a different color so this is new for me.
To answer your question firescout no I don't want to finish main spring housing or bolt.Want to have a two tone look to gun when finished.
Thanks again for info.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.I will have to look into another finish.I could be wrong but isn't the bolt on a blued model MK stainless?If so what method do they use to blue bolt?Im looking to get a mat brown / dark earth look on the frame and upper.
I like to do all if not most of the work on my guns but I've never delt with trying to give a stainless gun a different color so this is new for me.
To answer your question firescout no I don't want to finish main spring housing or bolt.Want to have a two tone look to gun when finished.
Thanks again for info.
No, the blued bolts on Ruger Mark III's are carbon steel. They're blued on most surfaces, left raw and polished over the ejection port for the looks. They can rust like mad if left under oiled for too long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks again for info.
Have you looked at Cerakote/Duracoat? I personally use Cerakote and it's a nice tough finish...and plenty of different hues in the brown family to choose from.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Djaycowan
Is this in easy to apply & what type of equipment do I need?Is it a arasal or do I need a spry gun to apply? I do have access to ovens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts