Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get either one of these most likely the 40. I have noticed though with the extended magazines that the bottom plate is square and protrudes past the back of the grip. The corners jab me in the hand and it seems like this would become quite painful after a day at the range. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I really want to get either one of these most likely the 40. I have noticed though with the extended magazines that the bottom plate is square and protrudes past the back of the grip. The corners jab me in the hand and it seems like this would become quite painful after a day at the range. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Never had a problem with that in my SR9c (fired more than 2000 rounds so far.)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
750 rounds through my SR9c and I haven't experienced any kind of irritation at the range, other than running through all the ammo in my range bag way too quickly!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like my SR9c. Plus 9mm ammo being cheaper allows me to shoot it more often. I have never shot the SR40c but my friend loves hers. Rent each and see which you like.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I felt exactly the same way when I was first checking out the SR40c. The clerk reached down and got a full size SR40, saying "here, this is what you need". I bought it on the spot.

Others have told you how much they like the compact model.

You can only make the right decision by actually handling both. They are both great guns. Get the one that feels best in our hand.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I have both the 9c and the 40c. When I carry either it's with the short mags. However at the range I'll use both, but mainly my long mags. I'm trying to figure out what's causing your discomfort. Do you mean where the extension butts up to the grip? Or are you talking about the actual end of the long mag? Neither sized mags on either guns have bothered me. They're some of my favorite guns to shoot.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If you want your SR40c to grip like the full-size SR40 you can do that as shown in this photo:

The cool thing about the 40c versus the full size 40 is that you can also use the short magazines and have a smaller gun. But if you want the full size grip you can have that too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking at the "C" models because I have applied for my CCW. Sorry I should have stated that in my original post.

This is the point I was referring to.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I am looking at picking up the SR9c because the ammo is less expensive and more readily available plus it can still have plenty of stopping power.

I did not find a problem with the corner as you did.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I have large hands and neither of my hands touch the rear of the floor plate on the long mags. Which is your shooting hand and which hand is it bothering? The heels of both of my hands are forward and slightly above the corners on the mag floor plate. The only thing I can think of is that you might need to modify the way you grip the gun unless you have gigantic hands. If so, you could probably round off the offending corner fairly easily. And if you screw one up, they're cheap and available from Ruger.

Maybe if you could show us a picture of you holding the gun? Don't know for sure. I've never heard of this problem before but the full sized model uses the same long mag as the c.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Another option is to just carry short mags. I only use the long ones at the range. And that's all guys in CA can get.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I love my SR9c and have well over 3000 flawless rounds through it.They haven't all been with the extended mag but many have and it's never been an issue for me.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
No problems with mine either. I would think that if the bottom corners of the grip bothered your hand , than you surely are holding the pistol wrong.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The corners jab me in the hand and it seems like this would become quite painful after a day at the range. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I'm with the rest of the posters. I have shot over 400 rounds through my new SR9C, over half using the 17 round mag, and had never even noticed the square floor plate on the 17 round mag until you mentioned it. You mentioned it and I went in and looked at the floor plate on the 17 round mag .... there is was! The SR9C is absolutely the most comfortable shooting 9mm I've ever shot. My hands, while not huge, are larger than average. Can't imagine how in the world you're gripping the weapon unless you have HUGE hands.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Hey, BTCowboy. The sr40c and sr9c are both really nice guns. If your only problem is that edge on the mags, I would suggest using a dremel and round ding it off.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I have big hands, too. My hands never get close to that edge that you speak of. You must be using the "tea cup" holding method cuz that is the only way I can think that a hand gets near the edge.

It looks like it could easily be rounded off with a file/dremel tool.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have to echo the comments of most the other posters here that I've never had a problem with mine. In fact, to really understand what you were saying, I had to get my SR40C out of the safe. Then I could see and feel the "corner", but I never noticed it before. As I held it, my hand didn't contact the bottom of the magazine and apparently hasn't whenever I've shot it either. I'd probably try to just lightly round off the corners.

I looked at a picture of the full size and apparently the magazine fits flush with it. I sure like the option of using either the full-size or compact magazine with mine though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No issues with my SR9c at all. The short 10 round is perfect for conceal and the extension is great for a better grip to get from holster. Use the 17 round mag for the range. Enjoy whatever you decide on. But 9mm better on the $ and less recoil.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I carry my SR9c with the short mags. The extension mag I use at the range. No problems to date.....just a fantastic firearm! :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
I wonder if its how your holding the pistol. I have the SR9C and been thinking of picking up the 40C. My 9C shoots so well I really like it but never felt that edge when shooting. I did pinch my hand one time inserting the long mag in due to the bottom finger grip that had slid up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts