Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just took the hand guard off my Mini and noticed where the barrel has been turned down from the receiver to the gas block there is an awful lot of chatter marks from the lathe that turned it ?
Is that normal I thought the barrel was supposed to be shiny and smooth.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Some Mini's have more machining marks than others. Some parts of my stainless Mini were shinier than others. I did a sandblast job on it, and it now has a nice even matte finish, and it removed the minor machine marks on it as well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Some Mini's have more machining marks than others. Some parts of my stainless Mini were shinier than others. I did a sandblast job on it, and it now has a nice even matte finish, and it removed the minor machine marks on it as well.
Yes, these days you have to fix things you paid good money for. Ruger's QC as of late is pretty shoddy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay just wondering this is my first mini 14 and didn't know if it was shoddy work or whatever. But that's what I'm talking about in the picture.
My 583- is the same. They probably didn't bother with the extra machining step for that part of the barrel that isn't visible. Doesn't bother me at all.

Maybe it's a rationalization, but that "ribbing" left by the lathe adds a touch of surface area and probably helps a tad with cooling. Ok, a small tad. ;-)>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts