Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a Ruger model# 707 Service Six. I have seen pictures of it & going to see it tomorrow afternoon. My question is this are these square butt or round butt. Did they come in both or one way. Reason is this one has a hogue grip on it now. Hard to tell what it is from picture. I would like to change it to original if I like it. Shop Ruger has grips on sale very cheap & they are for square butt grips.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I am interested in a Ruger model# 707 Service Six. I have seen pictures of it & going to see it tomorrow afternoon. My question is this are these square butt or round butt. Did they come in both or one way. Reason is this one has a hogue grip on it now. Hard to tell what it is from picture. I would like to change it to original if I like it. Shop Ruger has grips on sale very cheap & they are for square butt grips.
The Service-Six had a square butt, from the factory. Probably more than a few have been converted to round butt, though. It wouldn't hurt to be sure what's under that Hogue grip.

The Speed-Six was the same gun except with a round butt, and more of those would have been snubbies, 2 1/4 inch I think..

The Security-Six was the the same as the Service-Six except it had adjustable sights.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The Speed-Six was the same gun except with a round butt, and more of those would have been snubbies, 2 1/4 inch I think..
It would be 2 3/4" bbl not 2 1/4".

I have a Police Service Six that was a SQ butt. A good friend of mine made it into a round butt for me. It has Pachmayr's. Looks like it was factory made.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bear Catter & Ruger Redhawk thanks for your help. Since I posted I have found pretty much the same information. I will ask to take off the grips to make sure. This is not a major issue, I just prefer every thing as original. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Either R.B or S.B they are a great gun and they are getting harder to come by. When you take the grips off don't lose the take down pin if it still has it. I wish I had bought several of the Six Series when they were available. They are some of my favorite Ruger's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Redhawk thanks again for encouragement in this purchase. In my collection I have three other Rugers, MKIII, GP100, & a P89 all great guns. Shot the MKIII the other day 350 rds with no problems. I just like old pistols & revolvers. I have a question for you. How does $398 out the door sound. That includes tax & back round check. I must mention I live in Illinois. I have been looking for awhile & this looks good to me. How do you see it.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I have 2- 6" Security Sixes one blued and one stainless. Then I have that one Police Service Six 2 3/4" stainless. I would say that is a fair price if its in good condition and it's a plus if if it has the original box and paperwork. A few months ago I got that Blued S6 and I gave 300.00 in a face to face buy. No box, gun only in about 97-98% condition with original grips.The harder they get to find the more they will increase in price.
Wait for other opinions but I do think that's a decent price if everything is right with it.

Good luck.
As for living in IL. I can feel for you and other gun owners.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ruger Redhawk pretty much nailed it.
I've been seeing their price steadily climb. The surplus sales that were going on are starting to dry up.

You are correct about the "Shop Ruger" grips they are a steal at $10.00. I purchased some for my 4" Security Six. They also fit my Service Six, but didn't need grips for it. This gun had some beat up Pachmayrs when I got it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exlogger that is a nice looking hand gun. The one I will be looking at has fixed sites. Now from talking to all of you I'm looking forward to seeing this hand gun this after noon. These conversations have giving me something to look forward to & go to knowing a little more. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I think that price out the door is good. Get it!

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Ceci let us know what you think of that jewel. I have a feeling when you reply you will have already bought it assuming someone didn't already beat you to it. It won't be there long. I always keep an eye out looking for the Six Series.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Exlogger that is a nice looking hand gun. The one I will be looking at has fixed sites
Here's my Service Six and 6" Security Six with Sile target grips. Similar to the ones on the Ruger site. They are $10 on CDNN sports. Although, they don't have the Ruger bird emblem, they are great for the price. They are slightly smaller on the bottom and fit my hand better.

Ceci-- I'm a big fan of the Six models. They are tough as heck, and great size for packing. They fall in between the GP and SP for their size. Grab it if you can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Redhawk & Exlogger I bought the six. Nice handgun. Lock up & bore look very good. I did remove the hogue grips on it & it is a square butt. It needs some cleanup & other than that it is in very good shape. It belonged to an ex police officer who was downsizing his collection. With Illinois law I have to wait 3 days for pick up which would be Monday after noon. I had to show my Illinois F.O.I.D card & drivers license & they & the state do a back round check. That's the way it is in Illinois. Nothing to do now until Monday. Exlogger it looks identical to your stainless. Not as clean right now.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'm glad you got it. I was afraid it was going to be gone as fast as they move. I know that will be 3 long days for you. I remember having to wait 72 hrs years ago in S.FL. With my CCW I walk in and walk out with it. If you don't have a CCW in NC you have to go to the sheriff to get a handgun purchase permit and I believe there's no waiting period. I know with my CCW there's none.

The IL F.O.I.D. card is a joke.I have a friend who lives in IL. I saw how screwed up the gun laws are there when I was up there for a visit.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Congratulations! You will like it even more when you shoot it.

I'm not used to waiting, I bet that is hard. In Montana if you see a gun you want they just call it in and it takes about 5 minutes and your out the door. You do have to have a drivers license though.

Make sure you give us some pics when you get it.:)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Redhawk & Exlogger I bought the six. Nice handgun. Lock up & bore look very good. I did remove the hogue grips on it & it is a square butt. It needs some cleanup & other than that it is in very good shape. It belonged to an ex police officer who was downsizing his collection. With Illinois law I have to wait 3 days for pick up which would be Monday after noon. I had to show my Illinois F.O.I.D card & drivers license & they & the state do a back round check. That's the way it is in Illinois. Nothing to do now until Monday. Exlogger it looks identical to your stainless. Not as clean right now.
In case you are interested, Ruger has the walnut grips for that gun on sale right now, $10.01. These are old stock they found, so when they are gone, they are gone I gather.

RLG-Security-Six-Grips-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

I'm a service six fan too (4" and a 3" stainless in my case) :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gwnorth I ordered the grips last night with some other items. It saves on shipping this way.
Exlogger I have not posted pictures as of yet on the forum. I will do my best once I get the handgun & over my dental surgery. Thanks for every ones suggestions & help. Made my decision on purchase much easier.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
You can't have too many Sixes! I have over a dozen of them, various Speeds, Service and Security Sixes and all of them are different in their own way. Most of mine are the .38 Special models but that's 99% of what I shoot anyway.

If I want to shoot .357's, I have a bunch of GP100's for that:)

The size difference between the fixed sight GP100's and the Service Six isn't all that apparent. I have a Bianchi IWB holster sized for a S&W K-frame 4" and one of my fixed sight 4" GP's fits right in it. The adjustable sight GP's are bulkier than the Six series guns.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts