Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've also posted this on the "other" forum-I'm going to be shooting my GP100 in a match; I currently have the sights set up for POA/POI dead center, with a center-hold sight picture/ alignment, with Remington 125gr +P 38 Special Golden Saber ammunition (which seems to be DARN close to .357!) During the match, I may need to switch to 158gr .357 magnum ammunition (Sellier and Bellot or Federal). Using the same center-hold sight picture, where will the point of impact be with the .357 magnum rounds? (I probably won't have a chance to test for myself on paper prior to the match).

Best, Jon

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Aim 2.361 inches low with the 357 158s. Come on Jon ....

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Jon, There's no way to compute POI with the data you provided so the next best is my wild guess.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Let's see now,Golden Sabers 125 gr. +P,.38 Spl,= 265 ft.lbs. of energy.Federal 158 gr. .357 magnum= 535 ft.lbs. of energy.Got my slide rule and pencil,carry the 1,subtract degrees in centigrade, add fudge factor. Yep,aim 2.361 inches low to allow for the heavier recoil.Damn lowegan,you're good! Just kidding Jon on the inches.But you'll definitely have to aim low to compensate for the added recoil of the .357 magnum compared to the Golden Sabers.The Federals will shoot high with the same POA.How high? No idea.You didn't mention distance to target and size of the X ring.With my SP 101 3" barrel at 7 yards,Federal .357 magnum 130 gr. HydraShoks print about 1"-2"high.Using Federal 129 gr. 38Spl +P prints about 2"-3" low with same POA.But that's with me.

·
Super Moderator
21,481 Posts
Maybe I'm just old fashion but if I were going to shoot a load in a match I'd practice with it before the match. You may find your GP doesn't like that particular brand of ammo or reload and is all over the paper with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe I'm just old fashion but if I were going to shoot a load in a match I'd practice with it before the match. You may find your GP doesn't like that particular brand of ammo or reload and is all over the paper with it.
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, BIIIIIIINGO

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys-it's for a local steel plate match tomorrow, and I SHOULD have enough of my Remington 125gr .38 Special +P (for which I've got the gun sighted in for); for "back up" ammunition, I've got some old 158 gr Federal .357 and some not so old .357 Sellier and Bellot-hence the question. My normal carry load (for both my GP100 and Security Six) is Remington Golden Saber 125gr +P-normally, I like to have parity between my carry and competition loads. Thanks for all the help, guys-It reminds me of the line "Shoot low, Sheriff-he's riding a Shetland!"

Best, Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts