Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new guy here. I have had Mini-14's in the past, and enjoy shooting them very much. I recently purchased a slightly used one, and cannot find out much information on it. It is marked as a restricted LEO firearm, and has an 18 inch barrel (including the suppressor). There is no bayonet lug attachment. It is a 580 series, according to the serial number. The barrel is not tapered, and I am wondering if that is a good or bad thing. Also, the receiver is machined for scope rings. Any additional information would be appreciated.

·
Exalted One
1,814 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum from Central VA!

As to whether or not a non-tapered barrel is good or bad, I think most will indicate "bad". The non-tapered "pencil" barrels tend to get hot quickly and then start sling rounds around hither and yon. But it is not all bad news. Many of us here have pencil barrels and put an AccuStrut on it to fix that problem. A google search will show where they are. I got mine through Amazon for about $100. There are three basic types/models: 6" LT, 6" XDrill, and the SOCOM - which is about 3-4" long. For your mini, you should consider the 6" variety, as it shows the greatest improvement. These are available in both blued and stainless. With a 6" AccuStrut, your mini should be close to a 2-3 MOA shooter consistently - if you do your part. There are two other makers similar to the AccuStrut, but I went with the AccuStrut because the owner is the one who invented this whole concept and did a LOT of research to come up with the design. I wanted to reward him for his efforts and, I personally think it is the best-looking solution.

The mini you are describing was either a police weapon or a correctional facility weapon. Look it over well. Some were treated roughly. My LGS had a bunch last year when the county police traded in their Minis for government-issued M16s, and they were all 180 or 190 series pencil barrels. My LGS is also the armorer for the police, so he not only knew the weapons intimately, but could verify if they were good mechanically or not. I doubt your LGS shares the same relationship.

I don't own a 580 series. Ruger switched over to a tapered barrel midway through the 580 series production, so you have an early model 580. I can't offer a decent price estimation, but brand new Mini-14 tacticals (with the flash suppressor) are going for around $650 at CDNN right now...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information. I bought this gun from an individual who said that he hardly used it. It looks to be in perfect condition, and I have rings and a scope on order for it. I haven't fired it yet, but probably will soon after the holidays.

·
Registered
913 Posts
take a chance........

It may have been carried a lot and hardly fired or stored away for emergencies and never used.....you could take a chance and be very happy.
the mini 14 was used by NYPD, California dept. of Corrections amongst others.
I saw some being carried by police at the San Bernadino massacre.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I to have a Mini14 188 series with the pencil barrel & mine now has the barrel stabiizer I have done my initial sighting in at 25 yds at the local range just now need to take the time for the 100 yard fine tuning. So the pencil barrel can be corrected to some extend never be a target rifle my hopes are 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards. I was wanting to get another rifle to go with my scoped Mini-14 thought about the AK47's and such but right now more leaing towards another Mini-14/30 or a AR-15 Nuff said on my stuff sorry for going on. To the OP I hope that your Mini-14 works out for you they are fun rifles to have good luck to you & welcome to the Ruger Forum from Utah!

·
Registered
253 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum from Central VA!

As to whether or not a non-tapered barrel is good or bad, I think most will indicate "bad". The non-tapered "pencil" barrels tend to get hot quickly and then start sling rounds around hither and yon. But it is not all bad news. Many of us here have pencil barrels and put an AccuStrut on it to fix that problem. A google search will show where they are. I got mine through Amazon for about $100. There are three basic types/models: 6" LT, 6" XDrill, and the SOCOM - which is about 3-4" long. For your mini, you should consider the 6" variety, as it shows the greatest improvement. These are available in both blued and stainless. With a 6" AccuStrut, your mini should be close to a 2-3 MOA shooter consistently - if you do your part. There are two other makers similar to the AccuStrut, but I went with the AccuStrut because the owner is the one who invented this whole concept and did a LOT of research to come up with the design. I wanted to reward him for his efforts and, I personally think it is the best-looking solution.

The mini you are describing was either a police weapon or a correctional facility weapon. Look it over well. Some were treated roughly. My LGS had a bunch last year when the county police traded in their Minis for government-issued M16s, and they were all 180 or 190 series pencil barrels. My LGS is also the armorer for the police, so he not only knew the weapons intimately, but could verify if they were good mechanically or not. I doubt your LGS shares the same relationship.

I don't own a 580 series. Ruger switched over to a tapered barrel midway through the 580 series production, so you have an early model 580. I can't offer a decent price estimation, but brand new Mini-14 tacticals (with the flash suppressor) are going for around $650 at CDNN right now...
The $650 price seems to have gone away, from what I can find right now new mini's are going for around $850 and seen some used ones as much as $750 at cabelas.

·
Exalted One
1,814 Posts
The $650 price seems to have gone away, from what I can find right now new mini's are going for around $850 and seen some used ones as much as $750 at cabelas.
Yup. About a week after I posted that, all Mini-14/30 prices jumped by about $100. Should have bought one then, but hard to justify a second mini for myself.:(

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yup. About a week after I posted that, all Mini-14/30 prices jumped by about $100. Should have bought one then, but hard to justify a second mini for myself.:(
Then buy another Mini for the wife, or that fine looking dog in your avatar!
There are lots of ways to justify buying another gun !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new guy here. I have had Mini-14's in the past, and enjoy shooting them very much. I recently purchased a slightly used one, and cannot find out much information on it. It is marked as a restricted LEO firearm, and has an 18 inch barrel (including the suppressor). There is no bayonet lug attachment. It is a 580 series, according to the serial number. The barrel is not tapered, and I am wondering if that is a good or bad thing. Also, the receiver is machined for scope rings. Any additional information would be appreciated.
I personally think it is the best-looking solution.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It is marked as a restricted LEO firearm, and has an 18 inch barrel (including the suppressor).
So from your description here your saying that the barrel has a suppressor, are you sure its not just a flashider, something with slots that looks like an AR type muzzle device? If so thats awesome . Now you have a gun with a 18" threaded barrel and probably has the winged sight. Sounds like that will be a great gun to add accessories. By all means the Accu-Strut with the thin barrel, check out gas port bushings , stock bedding or shim , and some trigger work. If your going to put some glass on it than invest in some Wilson shock buffs for the 1911, They will ease the action quite a bit. Theres alot more but I will stop there. Sounds like you got something real nice there with a lot of potential to be a great little carbine.
Pictures , pictures please !!!!

·
Exalted One
1,814 Posts
Then buy another Mini for the wife, or that fine looking dog in your avatar!
There are lots of ways to justify buying another gun !
My wife isn't quite as interested in shooting as I, and she has pretty much glommed onto the M1 Carbine.

Very sadly, that beautiful Great Dane - Fi - is no longer with us. We had a wonderful eight years with her and she comforted me through what would have been the worst eight years of my life and made them the best. She lived to the ripe old age of 12 years and four months. Exactly. She is buried here at the farm. We were blessed with her far longer than we had any right to hope for. She is forever in my thoughts and prayers of gratitude. It has been almost three years.

But back on topic, I've tried to justify another Mini but can't. While the newer ones are better/more accurate, duplicating is not part of my thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I am the original poster. I measured the barrel again, and I was mistaken on my first post. It is 18" to where the suppressor starts, so I don't think this would be classified as a carbine. I am not sure if that is a suppressor or flash hider; Here is a picture so maybe you can tell me. I am told that this is unique to the LEO models, but I am just a learner here.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's a carbine , the M1 carbine used in WW2 , Korea, Viet Nam had the 18" barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the information. Please excuse my ignorance here, but if the 18" barrel is a carbine, then what do you call the majority of them that have the 16" barrel? Not trying to be argumentive, just want to learn.

·
Registered
370 Posts
14, 16 , 18, can all be considered carbine length.
A carbine (/ˈkɑrbiːn/ or /ˈkɑrbaɪn/), from French carabine, is a long arm firearm but with a shorter barrel than a rifle or musket. Many carbines are shortened versions of full length rifles, shooting the same ammunition, while others fire lower-powered ammunition, including those designed for pistols

·
Registered
396 Posts
1 that is not a suppressor it is a flash hidder

2 that is not a 580 series the # you showed is a LE #

please post the first 3 # of the serial #

580 series did not have a tapered barrel

1 - 20 of 26 Posts