Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for some info.

I want to purchase another revolver. It needs to shoot either .380 or 9mm, and not have moon clips.

Looking for some serious help here, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Because they are rimless they need something to keep them in place and to help extract them. That's where the moon clips come in.

Reactions: rugersr99c

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for some info.

I want to purchase another revolver. It needs to shoot either .380 or 9mm, and not have moon clips.

Looking for some serious help here, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Revolvers using rimless cartridges do not need moon clips to shoot, they assist in extraction (with some exception such as a 40s&w in a 10mm).

A Ruger SP101 in 9mm, for example, will shoot without the moonclips, but extraction of the cartridges will be slow.

Charter Arms may be a start for you if you insist on a revolver without clips.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My question would be if you want a revolver just buy a 357 and shoot 38's through it all day without moon clips.

If you didn't have moon clips you could never do this:

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,434 Posts
Jeannie, I don't know why you are locked into 9mm or 380???? Just a few comments .... cartridges designed for semi-autos such as 9mm, 380, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 38 Super, and 45 ACP don't work well in DA revolvers without using moon clips. They will work just fine in Single Action revolvers because these guns have an ejector, thus eliminating the need for moon clips. For similar reasons, cartridges designed for revolvers don't feed well in semi-autos due to the rims on cases. Yes, there are many exceptions but in keeping with the intended design, use rimmed cases in revolvers and rimless cases in semi-autos.

In your case, any DA revolver chambered for 357 Mag or 38 Special will shoot 38 Special ammo just fine and will have about the same power as a 9mm. If you want more power, you can use 357 Mag ammo. 38 Special ammo can be bought or reloaded from very light target loads to serious self defense loads .... a much wider range of loads than a 9mm or 380 Auto that depend on slide thrust to operate the action.

Except for the very expensive Korth revolvers, I don't know of any revolvers chambered for 380 Auto.

My suggestion .... rather than trying to fit a semi-auto cartridge into your revolver and deal with moon clips, open your horizons and buy a revolver that is designed for rimmed cases.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The answers to your question are above. My question to you would be, "Why?" By using a .380, or 9mm, or any auto cartridge in a revolver, you are introducing a problem, where none exists. Moon clips are used for one thing, to enhance reloading. DA revolver shooters use "speed loaders," to reload faster, but no speed loader is as fast as moon clips. Further, moon clips are easier to use. I switched from a .38 cal Ruger LCR, because I started having trouble with manipulating the speed loader knob. I switched to a Ruger LCR in 9mm, with moon clips, problem solved. Th only auto cartridge that can be used without moon clips in revolvers reliably is tge .32 acp, because it it semi-rimless.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
In the distant past I believe S&W made the K frame 547 9mm that would fire and extract cases without moon clips. Seem to recall Ruger may have had a similar setup on a few very early Six Series 9mms. As others note why would you do this now as there are no speedloaders for rimless cartridges of which I am aware and a similar gun that uses moon clips would allow a speed reload. As noted above Charter makes what you desire if you decide to look for a clipless(?) revolver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My question would be if you want a revolver just buy a 357 and shoot 38's through it all day without moon clips.

If you didn't have moon clips you could never do this:
Due to arthritis I no longer have the strength in my hands to shoot .38 or .357. Had to get rid of both.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sometimes it takes some probing but now we know what you are really looking for. When you say you can't shoot a 38 what were you shooting before?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Due to arthritis I no longer have the strength in my hands to shoot .38 or .357. Had to get rid of both.
Bummer about the arthritis. Glad to hear you're still trying to shoot.

Have you shot 9mm recently? If you have problems with .38spl, I think 9mm may be just as bad. It may be difficult these days, but if you can find a range with rentals you should try to find a 9 revolver and see how it feels. Even if it's moon clips or you have to use a rod to poke out spent cases, at least you know if 9 is doable.

Maybe have to consider a 22 WMR. It's not an ideal SD caliber, but it's better than a whistle.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sometimes it takes some probing but now we know what you are really looking for. When you say you can't shoot a 38 what were you shooting before?
I ask because when I shoot my 4" GP-100 with 38 special they are very mild to shoot.

It would also be good to know what your intended use would be. Recreationnal shooting at the range? Home defense? Carry gun?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a thought but my wife had severe rheumatoid arthritis and found almost all shooting quite painful. Then I introduced her to 148 grain hollow-base wadcutters (hbwc) and she found that they have very little recoil but are still quite accurate out to 25 yards. No, they don’t have the punch of a .357, but they should be ahead of a 22 for effectiveness.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts