Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
.32 S&W Long was the only handgun ammo on the shelf last week at the former Gander Outdoors near me. So at least some ammo is available.
There's a couple of boxes of 32 S&W Long wad cutters at my LGS too. At the moment there's no 9mm or 380. The 9mm and 380 scarcity will hopefully be short term. What you see with 32's is normal. There's never much in my area. Buying online when and where you find it mitigates this issue......or you reload.

I guess I can spin it another way. I haven't noticed a price increase on the .32 like has happened with 9mm.

I enjoy my 32 H&R and my .327 federal. I can see .32 as a good option for someone with arthritis.

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
I'll take a different approach. I think the Sp101 is a great little revolver, hefty enough to mitigate some of the felt recoil but still not too heavy to carry concealed. I won't quibble with your statement that 38's cause too much pain and I do think the 32 suggestions are worthwhile alternatives. The .32 S&W Long was the policed standard cartridge in NYC and a lot of the northeast back when Teddy Roosevelt was police commissioner in NYC. The SP101 can be had in .327 mag and it will handle 32 H&R and the .32 S&W both standard and long. Not sure you can find .32 S&W anymore but there should be plenty of the longs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have a Taurus 905 5 round 9 mm and it’s fun to shoot. The Moonclips are easy to load.

The Moonclips are for extraction from the cylinder on a reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes I have a Taurus revolver, Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My question would be if you want a revolver just buy a 357 and shoot 38's through it all day without moon clips.

If you didn't have moon clips you could never do this:
To be honest, even with moon clips the likelihood of the OP being able to that is nil! lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for some info.

I want to purchase another revolver. It needs to shoot either .380 or 9mm, and not have moon clips.

Looking for some serious help here, thank you in advance.
So with the arthritis being an issue why not a smith chambered in 32

·
Registered
5 Posts
The price really isn't the problem, however if I could find a Charter Arms Pitt Bull I would buy it.
taurus 942 .22 magnum 8 shot revolver. if you can find the gun...ammo is pretty easy to find in .22 magnum. and pretty good power and low recoil and it is 8 shots.
taurus-942-matte-black-right.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Charter Arms Pit Bull .380, shown in NRA's Shooting Illustrated August 2020 magazine, Page 70. DA/SA, 6 shot revolver. 3" barrel, stainless steel. MSRP $464.80. Instead of any need for moon clips, it has built into the cylinder "dual-coil spring assembly" that "aids cartridge insertion while forgoing the need for moon clips." It says it's 20 oz., 7.8' long, 1.4" wide, 5.1" high. The grips are Black Neoprene Combat full rubber. Fixed sights. Seems like a nice little gun. 3# single action trigger pull, 11# in double. At least that's what the article says. Written by Dick Williams.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I want to purchase another revolver. It needs to shoot either .380 or 9mm, and not have moon clips.

Unfortunately, both 9mm and .380 are rimless so you need moon clips to extract the spent casings. If you purchased a revolver that can shoot .357magnum, you could shoot .38 special and the recoil wouldn't be all that different than 9mm. If you get something like a GP 100, there is a lot of mass there to help with recoil. The rule of thumb is that if a pistol round can be loaded in a detachable magazine, then its rimless and you need moon clips in a revolver. There are exceptions as always - an example is .22 LR and there are many firearms that have almost perfected the feed challenges - almost.. Good luck, revolvers are awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay, so now we know that you are looking for a lighter recoiling gun, maybe less weight. I would suggest a Ruger lcr in .327 Federal. It will be lighter weight, a 6 shot revolver, and can be shot with .32 acp, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R magnum, and .327 Federal. The .32 acp, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal are available in self defense type rounds. Speed Beez makes speed loaders tgat will fit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Please Be ADVISED that the .327 Fed Mag is a relatively High Recoil round to fire !!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The Charter Arms Pit Bull .380, shown in NRA's Shooting Illustrated August 2020 magazine, Page 70. DA/SA, 6 shot revolver. 3" barrel, stainless steel. MSRP $464.80. Instead of any need for moon clips, it has built into the cylinder "dual-coil spring assembly" that "aids cartridge insertion while forgoing the need for moon clips." It says it's 20 oz., 7.8' long, 1.4" wide, 5.1" high. The grips are Black Neoprene Combat full rubber. Fixed sights. Seems like a nice little gun. 3# single action trigger pull, 11# in double. At least that's what the article says. Written by Dick Williams.
If I could find one I would buy it tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That is the revolver I would like to have, but apparently not available at this time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That's the one I wanted but no availability at this time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My question would be if you want a revolver just buy a 357 and shoot 38's through it all day without moon clips.

If you didn't have moon clips you could never do this:
This is the correct answer. .380 is not a really good cartridge anbd it is hard to gt right now and probably will be hard to get for the next couple of years. The same for 9mm .. very hard to find 9mm cartridges. .38 is still available -- scarce but available .. and easy as 9mm to shoot. .38 will shot in a .357 so the .357 is a better pistol and the .38 is a better cartridge. So this is the perfect answer to that question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I cannot recommend the Charter Arms Pitbull. These are designed to work without moon clips. I have has several customers that had problems. It seems that fouling quickly makes the little spring loaded parts that are supposed to allow shell extraction, to start sticking and not work reliably. They will fire without issue, but if quick extraction is required, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts

There are a lot reasons why you shouldn't do this even though you can, The rimmed cartridge headspaces on the rim. The rimless rounds head space on the case neck. You are not going to get the same performance and accuracy shooting rimless rounds with or with out moon clips in a revolver as you would get shooting them in a semi-auto. Go with a revolver chambered in .357 Mag and shoot .38 special, or look at a revolver in .327 Mag, and shoot .32 H&R mag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why,
Get a

Why,
Buy a 357 mag or a 327 federal mag or broth.
Works better then a auto shell in a rev.

Mike Circle

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've shot the .38 wadcutters in a six inch S&W K frame and they were very comfortable compared to standard .38 Special loads.

As to moon clips being designed primarily for fast reloads, they initially came about during WWI to allow revolvers to utilize the .45acp cartridge due to a lack of 1911 pistols. Fast reloading is an additional benefit. I'm not sure if 9mm's have this issue but I have seen that S&W offers owners of their .45acp revolvers replacement hammers with extra long firing pins since some guns exhibit light strikes if clips are not used. One downside of clips is you will need a loading/unloading tool as the spring steel is stiff. Something to consider, especially if you have bad arthritis.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having read all of the above, I can contribute that I have an SP101 in 9mm and another in 32 Magnum. The 9 is a snub and for the reasons you mention, for range use, I forgo the moon clips. However, the ones Ruger supplied with it are not as stiff as others I have used.

The 32 Magnum model is a 4-incher and is a sweetheart to shoot. It's chunky to be so compact but recoil is practically nil. Mine has a full-sized rubber aftermarket grip, which probably helps.

If weight is a plus, I would suggest the SP101. If you want lighter for carry, then there are the LCR/LCRX revolvers to consider.

The Nighthawk Skyhawk snub in 9mm was listed at $1,699 (it's really a Korth) but their site says it's discontinued

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Okay, so now we know that you are looking for a lighter recoiling gun, maybe less weight. I would suggest a Ruger lcr in .327 Federal. It will be lighter weight, a 6 shot revolver, and can be shot with .32 acp, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R magnum, and .327 Federal. The .32 acp, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal are available in self defense type rounds. Speed Beez makes speed loaders tgat will fit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Do you use/need moon clips for the .32 ACP in your LCR? I have an SP-101 in .327 Federal but I don't have good luck with the ACP rounds. Various factors cause them to sit too deep in the chambers and the vast majority of the time the primer strikes are too light. And I refuse to spend $150 to have the cylinder counterbored just to take moon clips, especially when I can shoot four other .32s from it.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

41 - 60 of 60 Posts