Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you folks carry with the chamber loaded and pistol ready to fire (safety on, of course), or do you carry with the chamber empty and thus needing to be chambered/cocked? (Please excuse the probably non-orthodox language - I'm a beginner.) If loaded, does constant tension hurt the striker spring? I am wondering about this, considering whether the LC9 (double action) would be better than the SR9C (single action). I much prefer the trigger feel of the SR9C.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!

Your question, well... I suggest you grab a chair and make some popcorn because you're going to get answers from both sides in terms of one in the chamber or not, and safety on or not. ;) I don't think wear on the spring is of any concern.

I personally carry my SR9c with one in the chamber and the safety on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome from Iowa, I am new to the forum as well. As to your question.... I have an LCP. Just for similarity purposes, in forms of firearms. I have carried the LCP with one in the chamber ready to rock. I have not seen any issues with light hammer strikes from extended periods of time with the hammer back. I don't own a LC9 or a SR9 so I don't know how similar the internal components are between lcp and lc9. IMHO I would go the SR9C or full sized more round capacity. Thus if you ever get in a panic situation (hope you never do) and you miss the first couple of shots, you don't have to worry if you have enough bullets... good choices for guns though!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Uh Oh

I carry my 9c with one in the chamber and ready to go... but... :eek: I don't keep the safety on. I feel as long as the trigger is covered, it won't accidentally discharge.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I leave it up to the person and what they are comfortable with. Personally I would chamber one round and put the safety on, that's what I am comfortable with. I carry my Beretta Nano with one in the chamber, it doesn't have an external safety either. When I carried by LCP I always had one in the chamber.

Some people would say leave one in the chamber with the safety, leave one in the chamber without the safety, don't leave one in the chamber and don't use the safety and lastly don't leave one in the chamber but have the safety on.

It is a never ending battle on what to carry. Most importantly carry what you feel comfortable and always do it the same way. And above all practice this way as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
One in the chamber and the safety on. When I pull the weapon the safety is turned off and I am ready. My preference. Yes, practice with what you have makes all the difference in the world on how comfortable you are with what you carry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I carry my SR9c with one in the chamber and the safety on. I just feel more comfortable that way. Even though I do feel comfortable with it in the holster it gives me some added assurance. Do what feels most comfortable for you and then train.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I haven't yet received my license, so my carrying is limited to my property for now. Inside the house I keep the SR9c and LC9 chambered but with the safety on in a pocket holster. But outside, esp in the "back40", I flip the safety off. It's half for practice, getting used to a loaded and ready yet secure gun in my pocket, and half so I'm not fumbling with the safety when the gun is really needed (esp with the LC9 as I'm a lefty). However I'm likely to keep this same situation once I'm allowed to carry off my property: safety on inside, safety off outside.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
When I target shoot I practice drawing with one in the chamber and the safety on. It becomes one fluid motion...draw...click...bang on target. This is the way I carry everyday. You must practice whatever way you decide to carry, you must become proficient or do not carry at all.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I always carry my SR9c with one in the chamber (Thumb safety on). It takes about a second to work the slide, chamber a round, and bring the pistol to bear on a target. I would rather have that second work for me than any attacker I'm facing, so I carry loaded.

·
Registered
385 Posts
A rhetorical question indeed! I carry my SR9C loaded with safety on. I carry mine in a belly band and the grips ride even with my belt line. I can discreetly flip the safety off with my shirt covering the gun if I want to. As far as leaving a round chambered all the time I beleive that the constant spring tension will eventually weaken the spring and could cause a light primer hit with any auto-loader. This comment will open up a can of worms again but think about it, all/any spring will eventually weaken under tension. Sure it could take many years but then again it could take a shorter time than that. So why chance it? I release all springs under tension when I'm not carrying and as an additional precation, I rotate my magazines every month on my SR9C, Glock 19 and Mini-14. I sometimes carry a LCR or SP-101 which of course is unrelated to your spring tension question.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One in the chamber and safety off. If I have to pull it I'm using it as fast as I can. Every second counts. Pull target threat and fire.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I have carried my LC9, SR9c, SR40c and all my 1911's in the "cocked and locked" mode, which is one in the chamber and ready to shoot with just a flick of the thumb safety.

The guns are safe in this mode but can be ready to fire in a heartbeat. When you're in a SHTF situation, seconds and noise can make all the difference. The racking of a slide may scare some BG's off, but other's just might think you're not ready to shoot yet!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I carry in condition one, loaded chamber on ALL CC pistols. With a thumb safety, even more reason to be doing so.

Carrying an XD or a Glock in condition one, will give any new operator some Eby Jeebies. But rest assured it will not go bang unless the the go switch is pulled.

Your brain is directly wired to your number 1 safety. ;)

As for the spring? Tension is not what makes the spring wear. It is the motion of the spring that causes eventual wear. Have no worries of striker or magazine spring wear from a constant load.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
One in the chamber, safety on. It's much quicker and easier to hit off the safety in an emergency situation than to rack a slide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ccw sr9c

I purposefully purchased the SR9C because it had a manual safety. For 16 months I carried it with one in the chamber and safety on. With it empty I practiced drawing and clicking the safety off and dry fire. I always worried if the need arrived I would forget to take the safety off which could lead to the bad guy shooting me. A month ago I took a CCW class for another state's nonresident permit. The instructor explained about built in safeties of our type pistols. I'm now convinced the SR9C has the safety in front of the firing pin and the trigger type that would prevent a negligent discharge, unless you were stupid enough to put your finger on the trigger when you weren't prepared to fire. Now I carry one in the chamber and the safety off. I'm confident in my handling and now I've removed a step in the life defining moment that I will need to draw my weapon.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Being very familiar with the thumb safety from shooting 1911's, I use it. Kinda particular what I stick down my pants. Manual safety is not an inconvenience for me, but do what makes you feel good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts