Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the camblock (guide rod) supposed to be captive on the P97? I noticed that the P95 is captive and has two springs, am I missing some parts on my P97 due to mine is not captive and only has one spring?? Sorry for this silly question but I need to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KP97DC, the P95 looks like the P97 so I thought that other than the caliber they were the same including the inside. I thought for sure that I was missing a smaller inner spring and the way the guide rod looks with a grove at the end I thought it should be captive as like the P95. Thanks for the fast response, I worry about small things like this.

·
Registered
336 Posts
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

The P97 only has one spring on the guide rod. It has one end larger that goes toward the muzzle of the gun.
Your reply got me to thinking because I don't ever remember the guide rod spring having one larger end on my P97(it only has one spring as you correctly stated). I just field stripped it to satisfy my curiousity and the spring is the exact same diameter on both ends. I also checked the Ruger manual and it makes no reference to the orientation of the spring when reassembling the pistol. I bought this NIB so it wasn't changed by a previous owner.

Could you double check yours because this has me confused[?]

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
They look the same but one end is larger than the other. I use a large ball point pen and slip each end over the point. The larger end will slide farther up on the pen than the smaller.

·
Registered
336 Posts
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

They look the same but one end is larger than the other. I use a large ball point pen and slip each end over the point. The larger end will slide farther up on the pen than the smaller.
Nope, .433 on both ends, go figure[?]

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have 2 with one end larger. Both bought NIB and nothing changed. Guess they could have used different springs. I just rechecked mine and both has one end larger on the inside.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Bought one P97 on 9/11.....another in '03---both had srings as KP97s-rolled 'em and they spun to show which end small-guess Ruger experiments, too!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ruger changed springs somewhere toward the end of the 97's production. The later models had springs that had the same diameters at each end. Not sure why, perhaps a spring vendor change, or a cost saving measure? The 97 never had a collar and spring retainer. The dual spring models usually do though. I think some P85's and P89's did to, but not in current production.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by pinetree89

Ruger changed springs somewhere toward the end of the 97's production. The later models had springs that had the same diameters at each end. Not sure why, perhaps a spring vendor change, or a cost saving measure? The 97 never had a collar and spring retainer. The dual spring models usually do though. I think some P85's and P89's did to, but not in current production.
Thanks for the Information. I learned something new. I didn't know they used two different springs. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts