Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a revolver guy at heart but I had a few autos in the past. Glock 19, xd tactical and 92fs. Loved the 92fs and xd tactical which the last was in 45. It was a pleasure to shoot. I am looking at 1911 platform and like Rugers for durability. Question is how good is the 1911 platform?

·
Registered
385 Posts
The 1911 platform has been in service for over 100 years, it's just about perfected now. With so many companies making them in their own ways, they are very very dependable.

I love my SR1911, very comfortable to shoot, very dependable with no issues, and it looks great.

Steve

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
What's not to like on a 1911?

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I used to love mine util nerve damage made a 5 lb pull unsafe and a 7lb pull so no 1911s anymore to likely an unintentional discharge for me not everyone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's a fantastic gun for design, durability, safety, and a pleasure to send rounds. In short, "I love my Ruger 1911. It's been around a long time not to be good.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
classic design, has endured and evolved for almost one hundred years. I currently own two and have owned three others at various times.
do not CC one, but enjoy shooting them from time to time. the Ruger CMD I purchased two years ago may be the best of the lot, certainly as good as 1911's I have owned with twice + the price tag.

·
Registered
97 Posts
70 series replica is one of the finest handguns made now (would so love an original but it is way out of my affordability)

So reliable, dead solid accurate, so tough. One of the true pleasures to shoot.

Personal favorite is a Government 45

Browning was a genius, pure genius.

Once you start down the 1911 path, it is addicting.

Doc

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
I am a revolver guy at heart but I had a few autos in the past. Glock 19, xd tactical and 92fs. Loved the 92fs and xd tactical which the last was in 45. It was a pleasure to shoot. I am looking at 1911 platform and like Rugers for durability. Question is how good is the 1911 platform?
I have a full size SR1911 and love it. It shoots very well ... i would love to get the shorter barrel model also ...

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have had a 5 inch SR1911 since 2012 and a SR1911CMD since 2013 and really like both of them. Great value for what they cost.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
1911's, in general - Awesome! Ruger SR1911, best value & bang for the buck, IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well glad to see the majority are pleased, that's a good sign. Totally agree about Browning a man of genius, and ahead of his time.
<snip>
Browning was a genius...and then he went on to design the Hi-Power....just saying maybe he improved on the 1911.

Hi-Power single-stack in .45...:cool: How sweet would that be?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Browning was a genius...and then he went on to design the Hi-Power....just saying maybe he improved on the 1911.

Hi-Power single-stack in .45...:cool: How sweet would that be?
Dieudonné Saive at FN also deserves a lot of credit for developing the final form of the Hi Power after JMB died.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It sucks. Rather new, pretty much unproven. Clubs are the way to go, far fewer parts and much longer history of reliability.

Jeff

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have shot my friends SR1911 and love it, I got about 250+rounds through his that I bought just so I could shoot it again. I myself am looking to get one also. Great 1911 at a great price point. He has shot well over 1,000+ rounds out of his not including what I have shot out of it and has performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I'm not generally a big fan of the 1911 platform, but it certainly is a good design. I like a hammer fired pistol, but don't like the cocked and locked operation of the 1911. I like a hammer down, double action first shot, then single action after that. Pistols like the P series Ruger are my favorite. I just feel better with the hammer down when the pistol is carried.

Many people don't like the transition between double action first shot, then single action after that. If you train for that, it can be managed easily, but many shooters don't want to put the effort into training, and choose a pistol with a different style action, and a trigger that is consistent for every shot.

I have an SR1911. Its an excellent pistol. Its reliable and accurate. The 1911 style pistol is rugged and well thought out. The thin grip of the 1911 feels good in hand, and the thin body conceals well. Its just not my favorite

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Web reviews look promising and I do like the history behind 1911. And Ruger going with the 70 series vs 80 series is a plus. Of course the price is the real attraction to this model over other brands. Thanks for everyone who gave their 2 cents. I value personal experience over mag reviews anytime. Guess I found my next birthday gift.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Web reviews look promising and I do like the history behind 1911. And Ruger going with the 70 series vs 80 series is a plus. Of course the price is the real attraction to this model over other brands. Thanks for everyone who gave their 2 cents. I value personal experience over mag reviews anytime. Guess I found my next birthday gift.
You will not be disappointed. As you imply, the SR1911 is the best bang for the buck. Happy Birthday!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts