Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and good Sunday morning to all.
I am a newbie here - Joined because I seemingly have an issue and cannot find anything posted anywhere on it. So here goes.

I have a new Ruger SR22
I bought when i could find it - Federal Champion 36 grain 1260 fps bulk ammo.
I took this SR22 to the range last week - it ran through 100 rounds like a champ with absolutely no issues.
Came back from the range - did a basic take down and cleaning using Ballistol. Put everything back together and cycled some steelworks 22lr "snapcaps" to make sure everything was good. Worked fine.
Went to the range yesterday - same deal with the Fed Champs - However the problems began.

First round shoots - does not extract and the casing is stuck in the barrel - the second round is either still in the mag or stuck behind it. the slide was back however not fully and not locked back.
Pull the mag, make sure im clear - pull the casing out. Try it again and the same problem occurs. This happened repeatedly 3-5 times. I could not even shoot it.

I took the gun home - cleaned it again this time wiping maybe some excess oil - seemingly I might have used too much Ballistol when initially cleaning that i figured the extractor was not pulling out the casing.
This is new gun - shot flawlessly the first 100 rounds.
The question - what can it be?
Have i done something wrong? Did i over oil the gun? Everything was cleaned properly. It cycles the steelworks snapcaps just fine. I cannot wrap my head around this.
Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated from the community.

If it is ammo - I have a couple other 22lr available on hand - Besides the 36 grain Fed Champ - I have hollow point 36 or 40 grain Super Extra by Aguila as well as some Herters 1400 HVHP round nose.
Should i test with these?

Thanks in advance to all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So if you have other ammo. Why not try them. I would have brought them to test.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not think it would have been an issue since the first 100 ran smooth like butter. This time around I had my wife along to have her try out the guns. -Hindsight 20/20 i guess.
Would it be odd to mention -
After this occured the 3-5 times - I loaded the magazine and then racked the slide to see if it would extract and had no issues chambering and clearing the last 9 rounds in the magazine when at the range? Odd isnt it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Maybe just doesn't like that Federal ammo. Some guns are finicky and you have to figure out what it likes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Try different ammo. I had the exact same problem with an SR22 using Winchester ammo. Tried Federal and it worked like a champ.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’ve found several types of Federal .22 to be annoyingly inconsistent, causing many malfunctions. Probably not the gun.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you have a casing stuck in the barrel consistently then you should look at how you’re cleaning the chamber. Are you using a good brass brush to give it a good going over? After you clean it does an unfired round drop in and fall out with no effort? Are you making sure the chamber and barrel are DRY when you start shooting? Don’t over lube the thing.

Some ammo while having good specs create a lot of smoke which will quickly fowl up the works. I HAD a Walther P22 and HAVE a Walther PPK/ S in 22 and when I shoot less clean ammo they start acting poorly quickly.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Ammo sensitivity is common in 22 LR guns. Try a few different types before sending it off to Ruger who would probably just send it back with a note saying it works fine.

You don't have to be a gunsmith to try a few remedies on your own.

If it chokes on several types of 22 then send it off to Ruger.

Contact Ruger Customer service ! You have a new gun, it's under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the suggestions - I shall try it.
I have the federal champs, but also have the Herters ammo from basspro as well as some aguila super extras. Will see if any of those cause problems.
As for the question of cleaning the barrel - I was using one of those wires with the end where you put a cotton patch on soaked with ballistol.
I am assuming it would be preferable for me to use a brush and rod?

one of the reasons I picked up the SR22 was because I heard it chewed thru all different types of 22lr ammo. Guess you have to take that with a grain of salt.
Will definitely have to go thru different ammo testing I guess. Perhaps also once over the barrel with the bronze brush as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
A 22lr brush is fine for the barrel, but is a bit small for the chamber. Balistol is good for softening up a light layer of powder residue, but it doesn't usually remove it with a light wipe of a patch.

I recommend you buy a small tub of JB Bore Paste. It breaks up hardened carbon rings quickly, and also polishes the chamber nicely so residue wipes out easier.

I don't even use a brush or Hoppes on my chambers any more. I find a tight fitting patch on a cleaning jag wetted with Balistol works great with regular cleaning, or smeared with JB's for a neglected chamber.

Try a patch by itself on a jag first. Then add a layer of paper towel between the patch and jag if the fit is too loose. My jag needs 2 layers of (patch dampened) paper towel or 1 layer if dry. A dozen or so strokes has the chamber shiny clean and cases never get stuck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Get yourself a BoreSnake for cleaning. Make sure the chamber and barrel are dry after cleaning. Check your extractor for any possible damage and also for good tension.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Get yourself a BoreSnake for cleaning. Make sure the chamber and barrel are dry after cleaning. Check your extractor for any possible damage and also for good tension.
I have tried using a bore snake a couple times. I see absolutely no difference in the bore except for the loose particles that will come out/off with a regular patch. I use brass brushes, and if the ring toward the "loading end" of the inside of the barrel does not get really clean I cut a tiny patch of my led removal cloth. THAT gets it clean! I've not tried the JB bore paste.

My friend's SR 22 refuses to fire or extract Aguila Super Extra. Other SR 22's seem to love that ammo. Each gun is individual. Really. But since .22 ammo is inherently "sticky" due to the waxy or oily coating, you do have to be super vigilant about keeping the gun shiny clean, and that particularly includes the flat area at the rear end of the barrel AND the flat area around the firing pin. Be super extra careful to never get any oil/lube inside the little hole where the firing pin resides.

22's are fun to shoot but can be challenging to clean if you don't really know how to do them.

I have 4: One Ruger Mark IV Lite, 2 S&W .22 compacts and one Browning 1911-22. The above advice applies to all of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello to all who replied. I wanted to take the time to say thank you to each of you.
With that being said - It looks like I will have to call Ruger and send it back.
I went into the range today - same thing kept happening and it happened with different ammo types as well. Range officer came over to take a look and we were looking at the whole system. Apparently the issue seems to be the magazine catch. Something has occurred with it where it allows the magazine to ride in too high and blocked the round from being extracted. With the given pressure as well the casing also seems to stay lodged in the chamber as well.
Hopefully I can call on Monday and speak with Ruger about the issue and can get this sorted out.
I have a Taurus TX22 as well - apparently the polymer recoil rod with spring seems to be shaving aluminum off the slide where the recoil rod and spring sit on the front end.
So far my luck has been crappy with the .22lr's .
Picked them up to save on ammo. So much for that will have to sit and wait for a while.
Man this really has been a tough year.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Even with that run of bad luck here's the good news. Ruger has the best customer service in the industry. They will take care of you and should cover shipping costs both ways. Here's the bad news. Taurus has some of the worst customer service in the industry and will probably make you pay shipping. Let the forum know how it all plays out and good luck!

Hello to all who replied. I wanted to take the time to say thank you to each of you.
With that being said - It looks like I will have to call Ruger and send it back.
I went into the range today - same thing kept happening and it happened with different ammo types as well. Range officer came over to take a look and we were looking at the whole system. Apparently the issue seems to be the magazine catch. Something has occurred with it where it allows the magazine to ride in too high and blocked the round from being extracted. With the given pressure as well the casing also seems to stay lodged in the chamber as well.
Hopefully I can call on Monday and speak with Ruger about the issue and can get this sorted out.
I have a Taurus TX22 as well - apparently the polymer recoil rod with spring seems to be shaving aluminum off the slide where the recoil rod and spring sit on the front end.
Picked them up to save on ammo. So much for that will have to sit and wait for a while.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not to get off topic, the recoil spring problem on the TX22 is easy to fix. Because the slide isn't hard steel, the recoil spring has been known to 'dig in' to the front of the slide where it sits. Five minutes with a file to take down the sharp edge. I've done it a couple of times, on both ends of the spring. Very easy to do, I first removed the spring from the guide rod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Doc -
I went to Lakeline LLC last night and bought their recoild rod and spring since it isnt polymer - and hopefully the spring doesnt have that rough edge. But Thank you so much for showing me what you did, because i will definitely have to do the same. Kind of wish Taurus got ahead of that one as well.
Not to get off topic, the recoil spring problem on the TX22 is easy to fix. Because the slide isn't hard steel, the recoil spring has been known to 'dig in' to the front of the slide where it sits. Five minutes with a file to take down the sharp edge. I've done it a couple of times, on both ends of the spring. Very easy to do, I first removed the spring from the guide rod.

View attachment 148503

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even with that run of bad luck here's the good news. Ruger has the best customer service in the industry. They will take care of you and should cover shipping costs both ways. Here's the bad news. Taurus has some of the worst customer service in the industry and will probably make you pay shipping. Let the forum know how it all plays out and good luck!
-Oh yea - I am not worried about Ruger's Famed Customer Service. My only worry - If they cant repair it and send a new gun - Thats going to be another $50 FFL charge for paper work as they wont be able to ship it directly back to me in my state if its a new serial #.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just consider sending guns back to Ruger as part of the Ruger ownership experience. I’ve sent the last three Rugers I’ve bought back. I’m waiting on paperwork for an LCP .22 I just bought that’ll probably have to be sent back as well 😆

1 - 20 of 22 Posts