Ruger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
dmrimd85 said:
-Oh yea - I am not worried about Ruger's Famed Customer Service. My only worry - If they cant repair it and send a new gun - Thats going to be another $50 FFL charge for paper work as they wont be able to ship it directly back to me in my state if its a new serial #.
Ruger destroyed one gun I sent back. They replaced it with a similar current production model. I had a choice to upgrade by paying the difference in value. I didn't like the current models, so chose one I thought would be the easiest to sell. They will reimburse FFL charges up to a max of $50. It took about 2 weeks after I emailed them the FFL receipt to get the check.

Note- not all current models can be shipped to some states.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ruger destroyed one gun I sent back. They replaced it with a similar current production model. I had a choice to upgrade by paying the difference in value. I didn't like the current models, so chose one I thought would be the easiest to sell. They will reimburse FFL charges up to a max of $50. It took about 2 weeks after I emailed them the FFL receipt to get the check.

Note- not all current models can be shipped to some states.
Yea - that Last line there is also a worry..... the “great” state of Illinois........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello all -
I have some informative news about the SR22 problem that was encounter.
I did call Ruger and RMA the pistol - It was repaired.
I called customer service to see if I could know what the issue was.
Ruger stated that they - replaced the barrel, then took it out and function tested it with 40 rounds of Aguila super brass and Remington 22lr - and it went through 40 shots test fired with no failures.
So the issue for the failure to extract with the empty casing stuck in the chamber was indeed a barrel issue.
Good to know.
Just wondering why the first 100 rounds went through without any issues and then we ran into the problem.
Cant wait to get it back in my hands.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My friend had the same problem with her M&P .22 compact. She sent it to Smith with a very detailed report on the problems, and actually got it back faster than she anticipated from S&W. They replaced the extractor and the slide. Now it runs fine, but only with CCI mini mags. The Federal and Geco that she bought last year when she bought her gun do not want to work, so she sold them to her step daughter who has a .22 revolver.

I bought a full case of mini mags specifically to share with my two regular shooting buddies, so she has a supply for a while. Even at the 13 cents per round I had to pay for that case, it's still way less than shooting .380 or 9mm, which are her other two guns.

It seems that these guns that "run flawlessly and are not ammo picky" mostly are, but there are a few that slip through and have to go back to be fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My friend had the same problem with her M&P .22 compact. She sent it to Smith with a very detailed report on the problems, and actually got it back faster than she anticipated from S&W. They replaced the extractor and the slide. Now it runs fine, but only with CCI mini mags. The Federal and Geco that she bought last year when she bought her gun do not want to work, so she sold them to her step daughter who has a .22 revolver.

I bought a full case of mini mags specifically to share with my two regular shooting buddies, so she has a supply for a while. Even at the 13 cents per round I had to pay for that case, it's still way less than shooting .380 or 9mm, which are her other two guns.

It seems that these guns that "run flawlessly and are not ammo picky" mostly are, but there are a few that slip through and have to go back to be fixed.
That is very true.

I bought this as a plinker gun to save on ammo. Problem is when the ammo is hard to come by as is the case presently. I can only get my hands on what i can get. I figured if they had to change the barrel and i tried to run different types with the same result - then something happened along the way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That is very true.

I bought this as a plinker gun to save on ammo. Problem is when the ammo is hard to come by as is the case presently. I can only get my hands on what i can get. I figured if they had to change the barrel and i tried to run different types with the same result - then something happened along the way.
If you can swing it get yourself a bolt-action .22 rifle, then you can shoot anything your handgun doesn’t like, or if you can find a cheap .22 revolver. I just picked up a Savage Mark II rifle for cheap and love it, It’ll feed anything. I just shot some CCI quiet through it and it sounds like a pellet gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If you can swing it get yourself a bolt-action .22 rifle, then you can shoot anything your handgun doesn’t like, or if you can find a cheap .22 revolver. I just picked up a Savage Mark II rifle for cheap and love it, It’ll feed anything. I just shot some CCI quiet through it and it sounds like a pellet gun.
well - I also have besides the SR22 a Taurus TX22.So far that has been ok minus the recoil rod spring eating away at the aluminum due to the sharp edge. As someone else pointed out - I got my dads metal file - so it will be time to go to work filing that sharp spring edge down but also got a Lakeline LLC steel guide rod and spring.
Fingers crossed this time around all should be well.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If you can swing it get yourself a bolt-action .22 rifle, then you can shoot anything your handgun doesn’t like, or if you can find a cheap .22 revolver.
Good advice.

I have a few .22 autos, and a couple .22 Revolvers. Most .22 autos, (and many centerfire autos), will likely have issues with some types of ammo or bullets. I've never owned an auto that didn't like CCI, or better grades of Federal, most types of Winchester, Remington, or Aguila,(but others have), and though function may be excellent, accuracy with the reliable ammo can be for poo. Ya never know. Bum ammo, or bulk ammo goes in the revolvers, an SP101/4" or a Single Six/ 6.5". They always work. Always. Same for my Ruger, CZ, and Savage bolt actions. May not be much for accuracy with "bullet X", but what goes in always comes out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Howdy all - Status update: Gun sent to Ruger on 11/23/2020 - last week Monday. Received next day air. Fixed by Wednesday 11/25/2020. Report states barrel was replaced and function tested with 40 rounds of Aguila brass and Remington - no failures. Gun was shipped back Monday 11/30 and received today 12/2/2020. 10 days turn around time and that during Thanksgiving Holiday weekend.
Next stop - to the range when I can and to test fire it myself.
They sent it one of those white Ruger silicone rags that is soaked to clean the thing. Should I clean it? I do see some residue from the test firing in the mag well and barrel.
If it functions now and does not encounter the issue again - Would be a happy camper.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts