Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I traded for this sporterized Swedish Mauser and I'll have to say that I'm impressed. Great bore and muzzle, Williams rear peep sight, Schnabel fore end with the finger grooves and an ultra smooth action.

Questions though... Has anyone heard of a Bold trigger group? This rifle has one installed. All the other parts match, including the stock. Which leads me to this question: has anyone ever seen the original stocks refinished and made this nice? It has the original buttplate and stock disk. The serial number is even inside the forearm.

Let me have any info that y'all can give me! Does anyone else have one sporterized like this or was this likely a one of a kind job?

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is magnificent work. Have one myself...well, actually it's my daughter's, in a synthetic stock. Not nearly as lovely as yours. I'd carry that one afield any day.
One question: what is that finish? Is the wood actually that dark?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello Barrett93,

I have a Swedish Mauser in 6.5 x 55, Model 94, made in
1901. The model 94 has an 18 inch barrel and is considered
a carbine. The model 96, which I think you have, has a longer barrel and is
considered a rifle. The actions are the same in both models.
My Swede is in a tiger maple Mannlicher
-style stock and has
an after-market barrel, an after-market safety, and a Timney
trigger. Otherwide all part have the same serial number and crown. I have a
4 power Leupold scope mounted on this beauty. Like your 96,
it has controlled feed which requires that cartridges be fed into
the chamber from the magazine. Cocks on closing.
My Swede is very accurate and is a joy to carry hunting whitetail
deer.
I have never heard of a Bold trigger group.
In my opinion we both have excellent 6.5x55 arms. Do you reload?
Mine likes 140 grain Nosler partition bullets and RL22 powder.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
If that was my rifle it would be tapped and drilled for scope mounts and rings very nice rifle there!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I am going from memory and may be wrong, but I believe Bold triggers were an aftermarket trigger that was very popular years ago when converting military 2 stage triggers to single stage trigger. I recall them having a good reputation for their triggers. Who ever converted your rifle knew what he was doing and did excellent work on the stock. No bubba did that sporterized conversation. Should be a great hunting rifle.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
That's a sweet one. Bold triggers are still being manufactured, you can order one with your Boyd's gunstock when "sporterizing" a Military Mauser. It is a good replacement trigger for the military 2-stage.
Back in the day , we had much more time than money and would spend hours working down those generous military stocks, scraping, carving sanding and refinish with many hand rubbed coats linseed oil or True-Oil. Some guys did amazing work, even grafting on pieces to make full pistol grips and cheek pieces.
Yours was done buy someone with a bit of talent, cool Schnabel fore end ...that's a touch of class!
You have a nicely done one, those receiver sights are the best iron sight , Enjoy.
And don't put no plastic stock on it, blue steel and walnut are classic.
Gary

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries about that. I only own one long gun that doesn't have a wood stock and it's because I got it for a song. I'm just not into plastic. Although I'm gonna have to break down and get an AR.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh wow

You have a late 96 Swede!
I think the Swedes stopped making them in 1932?

I haven't seen one dated that late though

Cool rifle.
I love mine, its not sporterized it's mostly matching in it's orig military config

1 - 10 of 10 Posts