Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2012-13 shortage was bad and lasted several years for 22LR. That shortage exposed lots of ignorance about how supply and demand works.

While the last one was bad, this one seems worse in some ways. Last time, 9mm, 223/5.56 and 7.72x39 were gone for awhile, but came back fairly soon.

22LR was hard to find but was always available to those who pit a little effort into it. But this time stuff is just gone. I’ve put in notification requests all over the internet for primers and have not received a peep. Where are they all going?

So... that’s actually my point. Before everyone lists conspiracy theories, what I think is the most concerning thing about all of this, both last time and now, is why so much silence from the companies who make this stuff? If they’d actually come out with real information instead of fake corporate speak statements, it might help.

What about firearms makers like Ruger? It’s hard to sell guns when buyers can’t find ammo. Are they in touch with ammo makers and distributors about this?

Maybe lm weird but I’d rather have bad news than no news.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think all you can do at this point is wait and wait and wait. That is the bad news and the only news. I know exactly what you mean. I was making the rounds of all the stores for 22lr back in the Obama days and was able to maintain a decent supply of various 22lr, but once the CCI stock got low, I just held onto what I had lef and mostly used everything else. Since then, a few years ago at least, I'm not sure there is enough time left in my life to fire what I have... lesson learned. And I can't wait till things open up again with primers. I'm just glad there is never a shortage of spiderwire and lures.... but I'm sure Joe has some ideas.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The last shortage was not caused by a shortage of supply, but an increase in demand, mainly from the government, but also because of an increase in new shooters.

This shortage is caused by both a lack of supply with many factories either shut down or working with reduced staff because of Covid AND increase in demand as even more people are buying guns than before; and many existing shooters stocking up on supplies.

The whole thing gets worse at the beginning of any shortage for any product as consumers panic and buy more than they normally would to make sure "they get theirs". I have not bought any ammo in more than 6 months; and I am doing very little shooting so I don't expend my stock. This will balance out in time as suppliers reopen, increase production or open new plants.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There is a very honest assessment of the situation on the powder valley blog. I don’t know how to post a link from my ipad, but if you go to powdervalleyinc.com and click on blog you can read it.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,822 Posts
I have read that primers are the bottleneck. Makes sense, with four (?) US manufacturers? We can import a bunch, but that takes time.

Occam’s Razor cuts most conspiracy theories to ribbons. Hoarding and primers seem the simplest explanation.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I have read that primers are the bottleneck. Makes sense, with four (?) US manufacturers? We can import a bunch, but that takes time.

Occam’s Razor cuts most conspiracy theories to ribbons. Hoarding and primers seem the simplest explanation.
Since this is in the Reloading forum section, you are referring to retail primers sale to reloaders. In the supply chain, primers as reloading supplies are the lowest priority. With the recent high demand for retail ammunition, as well as some substantial government ammunition contracts, that's where the available primer production is going.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
The 2012-13 shortage was bad and lasted several years for 22LR. That shortage exposed lots of ignorance about how supply and demand works.

While the last one was bad, this one seems worse in some ways. Last time, 9mm, 223/5.56 and 7.72x39 were gone for awhile, but came back fairly soon.

22LR was hard to find but was always available to those who pit a little effort into it. But this time stuff is just gone. I’ve put in notification requests all over the internet for primers and have not received a peep. Where are they all going?

So... that’s actually my point. Before everyone lists conspiracy theories, what I think is the most concerning thing about all of this, both last time and now, is why so much silence from the companies who make this stuff? If they’d actually come out with real information instead of fake corporate speak statements, it might help.

What about firearms makers like Ruger? It’s hard to sell guns when buyers can’t find ammo. Are they in touch with ammo makers and distributors about this?

Maybe lm weird but I’d rather have bad news than no news.
Actually Ruger did have a statement on their web site concerning production.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Vista Outdoors announced they had one year of back orders for ammo, around a BILLION dollars worth.

Remington is not in production right now, that's a big chunk of the market right there and scratch one primer brand.

Sometime next year thee of the four domestic primer brands will be controlled by the same company. IMHO that's not good for reloaders.

Primers are made by hand. It takes a skilled employee to make them and not blow the plant up. They will always be the bottleneck in both ammo and for reloading.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For the most part demand it way higher than what is in the supply chain. Covid is slowing up production and hoarders have what was in stock stashed away. Especially when it comes to primer.
On another forum a guy bragged about having 20K SPM primers and 40K SP primers

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
After the "shortages" we have had the last 20 years no one should blame another's actions because they ran out of supplies. You should know how much you shoot and supplies you need.

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
After the "shortages" we have had the last 20 years no one should blame another's actions because they ran out of supplies. You should know how much you shoot and supplies you need.
Yep.

That's only 20-40 boxes. Doesn't seem like that much. I usually always buy them by the box (of 1000) when needing to replenish.

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
362 Posts
For the most part demand it way higher than what is in the supply chain. Covid is slowing up production and hoarders have what was in stock stashed away. Especially when it comes to primer.
Why are you calling them hoarders? What was everyone else doing when this guy bought 60k primers? Oh... they were too busy not giving a crap... that is what everyone else was doing.... and all the while anyone on any given day before this could have put in the same order. I still have 10 half gallon tubs of hand sanitizer left over from the 20 I bought a year ago and there was still a pallet of the stuff every time I went in Sam's. So how are you putting this on people who stocked up well in advance? Think about what you said, "hoarders have what was in stock stashed away". There's a scientific term for this phenomenom, I'ts called, "you snooze, you loose".

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
yes, I agree. This shortage is much worse than the last one. Prices are much higher this time and ammo, online, is almost impossible to find. When the last shortage kicked off in 2013, I was able to buy ammo by July of that year. Scarce, but obtainable. 9mm was only averaging about $15 for a box of fmj. .223 fmj was 38¢ to 43¢ per round. 45 ACP, I bought for about 40¢.

There's hoarders and preppers. This group has planned ahead and is in good shape. Then there is another group who are scalpers, in it purely for profit. The current high prices charged by retailers makes it hard on the scalpers tho.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Why are you calling them hoarders? What was everyone else doing when this guy bought 60k primers? Oh... they were too busy not giving a crap... that is what everyone else was doing.... and all the while anyone on any given day before this could have put in the same order. I still have 10 half gallon tubs of hand sanitizer left over from the 20 I bought a year ago and there was still a pallet of the stuff every time I went in Sam's. So how are you putting this on people who stocked up well in advance? Think about what you said, "hoarders have what was in stock stashed away". There's a scientific term for this phenomenom, I'ts called, "you snooze, you loose".
Back before everything went nuts, my friends and I were always out shooting, competing or hunting (just the way we grew up). We got along GREAT with most of the LGSs because of our constant business. It got to the point where we could place a separate order for supplies when they ordered theirs. They'd get a better deal ordering in larger quantities and we'd get a better deal and not destroy the LGS shelf stock. Did that for years, so once things started going down hill we were already wayyyyyyyyy ahead of the game. We did slow down to keep things in check when everything started going South.

You're right.
There's a scientific term for this phenomenon, It's called, "you snooze, you loose".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guess I should have given more detail. He is willing to part with 60K primers for a price.
Over a cold beer we did the math, if he were to shoot 150 rounds a day and could make the brass last long enough he could still be shooting in 2026. If I am not mistaken, one may not have that many primers and powder in one place in a residential area. IMHO that is hoarding. Nobody needs to agree just my opinion.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's about a years worth of shooting for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I made another post explaining that is what he is willing to let go "at a price" It is a small fraction of what he has.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts