Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I’m thinking about “NEW MODEL BLACKHAWK CONVERTIBLE Flattop” to fill the spot as “Cowboy Gun”.

MODEL: 5240 LIPSEY'S DISTRIBUTOR EXCLUSIVE CONVERTIBLE CALIBER: 45 COLT / 45 AUTO, 5.5” Barrel

https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/5240.html

I thought I read that the Lipsey’s Flattops were a remake of an older Blackhawk with a different size frame?? Is that true?

What’s the advantage of the flattop?

I don’t like the fake ivory grips. Will New Model Blackhawk grips fit?

If the fame is a different size, then the holster must be a different size?

I’m a Smith & Wesson guy, so I have lots of questions. I want a cowboy gun and can’t decide on this or the Vaquero. The Vaquero looks more like a Colt SAA, but the Blackhawk sights are a big advantage.

Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,168 Posts
DaveTN, In 2006, Ruger made a 50th year commemorative New Model Flattop that emulated the origional Old Model Flattop from 1956. The new flattop has a slightly smaller cylinder frame (.1" shorter in length and .1" shorter in height). As such, the cylinder is also smaller in diameter and length so you can not shoot "Ruger Only" loads in the 45 cal models. It also has the old XR3 shaped grip frame so normal New Model XR3-RED grips won't fit.

There's really no advantage to a flattop other than some people find them more attractive. The New Vaquero shares the same frame with a flattop except it has fixed sights and a different shaped hammer.

Ruger still makes a "standard" New Model Blackhawk with a full sized frame and cylinder that is capable of safely shooting much higher pressure "Ruger Only" loads. It is also available in a 45 Colt / 45 ACP convertible and has a fully adjustable rear sight. Here's a link: https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you really want a "Cowboy Gun", you probably should get the New Vaquero. The Blackhawk Convertible Flattop is built on the same size frame as the New Vaquero and is smaller that either the 'Blackhawk' or the 'Old Vaquero'. The holster size on either of the guns you are considering is pretty much 'Colt' sized. I can't say that I love the imitation Ivory grips but they do make it easier to tell my .45 Flattop from my .44 Flattop. I would not personally choose to have mine be a convertible but that is the only way it is available. When I want to shoot .45 acp I just use an auto.
There are already several threads here about the Flattop Convertible where you can learn more.

Bruce

·
Registered
338 Posts
Why? I assumed they just throw in an extra cylinder; no change in the gun. Is that not a good assumption?
Just a little more expensive. I have found that the 45acp cyclinder, and the 9mm cylinder in the 357’s come in handy when developing loads for my autoloaders. There is a little cushion, and you don’t have to chase the brass to get a good look at it. That being said, I love the looks of the flattops, however, the grip frame to me is small. I like the xr3-red frame better, but most of my single actions have a bisley grip frame.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have both the New Model Blackhawk (in .45 Colt/.45 ACP) and a New Model Flat Top in .44 Special.

To compare the guns side by side there is not much difference to the eye. But, Oh! there is a great difference to the hand.

The Flat Top is svelte, even sensuous, to the shooting hand. Sort of makes you reluctant to put it down. But, put it down you do.

Then the New Model, not so sexy in the hand. Tough. Brutal. Wakes up the warrior in you.

So, get one, or more, of each. I did.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here is one advantage to the ACP cylinder: I salvage .45 Colt brass that has had splits at the case mouth. I cut and trim these to .45 ACP length and load them with ACP data and fire them in the ACP cylinder. Recycles brass that way:

These cases were loaded maybe 55 times as .45 Colt, now I see 11 times as my .45 Xtra Short, or as the .45-06.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got the flattop 45 convertible and the regular full size convertible, both with 4 5/8" barrels.

Although the flattop is smaller and a bit handier, I find the grip a little cramped compared to the full size XR3-RED grip.

Not getting rid of either one though. They are both fine handguns.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The original Vaquero will handle the more stout "Ruger Only" loads, whereas the New Vaquero should only be used with standard Colt loads. Ifn, you want the looks and feel of a fixed sight cowboy gun, get the NM Vaquero. if you want adjustable sighted cowboy gun get the NM Flattop, in 45 colt or 44 Special, or even 357. If you want to shoot heavy loads, get a NM Blackhawk, Blackhawk Hunter, or the original Vaquero with fixed sights.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Actually the New Vaquero (and flattop) .45s will handle Tier 2 loads (23K psi ) just fine. Just don't go to Tier 3 (Ruger Only Loads 30K+ psi). BTW, I load Tier 1 for my general use, and I have a Tier 2 load that works in all my large and medium framed .45s. I don't like ROL loads anyway. Not planning an African hunt anytime soon...

BTW veeman, the old/original Vaquero and New Vaquero are both New Models ;) :) .

Why? I assumed they just throw in an extra cylinder; no change in the gun. Is that not a good assumption?
They don't 'throw' it in, you do have to pay for it :) . Convertibles are usually higher priced. I for one 'thought' I'd use the .45 ACP cylinder, but I've found that I'd rather just shoot .45 Colt. Same with the 9mm cylinder. So to me it really wasn't worth the added cost for the extra cylinders.... But that was the only way the flattops came, so bought them anyway :) .

As for the grips, I just don't care what they look like because I am probably going to get custom grips on the gun anyway if it is a keeper. I like grip panels that exactly (really close) fit the grip frame and in a style I prefer. And no, the large frame BH grip frames are slightly different from the New Vaquero/Flattop frame. When looking for generic grips you must look for New Vaquero grip panels. Of course if you go custom, the grip maker will fit the panels perfectly to the grip frame you send him/her.

My holsters fit either the large or medium framed BHs. Yes, the medium is a bit looser in the holster, but the top strap takes care of that.

The advantage with the medium frame revolvers is they are a bit smaller, and 'feel' right at home in my hands. The advantage is 'subjective'. As I've said before I've found 'my' set of perfect pack'n revolvers in .357, .44 Special, and .45 Colt tuned flattops. YMMY though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
BTW veeman, the old/original Vaquero and New Vaquero are both New Models ;) :) .
Aye, I didn't say it wasn't. Someone else called it an Old Vaquero, I was just saying there is no "Old Vaquero" but rather either Vaquero or New Vaquero. Didn't say anything about Old or New Model. :)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Some people say "old" Vaquero to help differentiate between the original Vaquero and the New Vaquero. As veeman said, Ruger could have made things less confusing.
Kind of like how some people will say .45 Long Colt even though there really is no such thing, it's just ".45 Colt".
But because Colt also made a .45 ACP, and there was a "short .45 revolver round ( for the S&W Schofield revolver), if someone wants to call the .45 Colt the Long Colt, I have no problem with that, but some will want to make it a point to correct them.

Some other differences between the large frame Blackhawk, and the Blackhawks known as the Flattop, are that the Flattops retain a nicely blued steel grip frame and ejector rod housing, which helps the overall balance. The Flattops seem to be better finished as well.

The large frame "regular" Blackhawk has an alloy grip frame and ejector rod housing that has a "black paint" look to it. And having the grip frame a lighter material messes up the balance and makes for a muzzle heavy gun, especially in the smaller calibers like .357.
Frankly, I think the finish on the newer Blackhawks looks cheap, and they don't seem to be as nicely done as the Lipsey's Flattops.

The feel of the smaller Flattop is worlds better to me, and the slimmer size gives it the Colt like superb feel and balance.
Paired with a like caliber levergun, they are loads of fun:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Chig's grips are thicker. I like the feel of the Hogue grips better, they are in between the factory grips and Chig's.
But the Walnut Chig's match the wood on the Rossi lever more closely than the Goncalo Alves Hogues. I shoulda bought the Hogues in Walnut.

·
Registered
104 Posts
These pics are lust-inducing. Hat tip to rammerjammer & his Flattop I've handled for awakening my inner cowboy.

What's a gun collection without at least one single action? I'll be remedying this regrettable oversight in short order.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,168 Posts
sandog,
Kind of like how some people will say .45 Long Colt even though there really is no such thing, it's just ".45 Colt
Actually there is such a thing as a 45 Long Colt. That was the official cartridge name given by Colt in 1873 to differentiate it from a shorter 45 Schofield (AKA 45 S&W), which was also patented in 1873. When SAAMI was established in 1926, many cartridges were renamed to avoid confusion so 45 Long Colt became just "45 Colt". There are still many references to 45 Long Colt in reloading manuals and elsewhere. Funny ….. the 45 ACP cartridge was renamed 45 Auto, also in 1926 but nobody seems to get too excited when "45 ACP" is used, in fact you actually used 45 ACP instead of 45 Auto …. just as incorrect but no big deal, many other people tend to use 45 ACP too. The "ACP" identifier was dropped by SAAMI with other cartridges too so the 380 ACP is now a 380 Auto and a 32 ACP is now a 32 Auto.

As for Vaqueros …. sometimes people want others to think they are an expert so they get all huffy when they see the word "old" and try to make a big deal of it. Old, new, origional, heavy frame, mid-frame ….. does it really make any difference as long as readers know what the person means?

·
Registered
432 Posts

As others have already replied, they don't 'throw' anything in. Since it was the only way I could get a Flat Top in .45 Colt I paid for a second cylinder that I will probably never even unwrap. All the better for whomever buys it from my widow no doubt.

Bruce

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have both the full size and the flat top. Depends on what you want to do with them for which one I suggest. My two in 45 are stainless, which I have learned to love, although I am a blue gun guy. If you want to hunt, you need two things, first the full size frame, or New Model Blackhawk with the little ears around the rear sight. You must have adjustable sights if you want to take advantage of the full power 45 Ruger only loads. You can easily load or buy ammo that exceeds 1,000 foot pounds, equal to any 44 mag. You also want the bigger, heavier gun if you carry for grizzly encounters. The regular 45 Colt is hard to get to over about 450 foot pounds.

If you want to carry the gun and enjoy it as a hiking or self defense gun, the shorter 4 and 5/8 inch barrel flat top is about a 3 ounces lighter. It is about the same as a 4 inch Smith and Wesson K frame or about the same as the original Colt, about 39 ounces. Lipsey's calls the flat top the finest 'packing gun ever produced" https://lipseysguns.com/ruger-45-colt-flattop-revolver/

The 45 acp cylinder is a must for many reasons. First, when you can never, add he cylinder later, Ruger quit that years ago. Second, when you go to resell it or pass it down, it is much easier to sell. Third, I reload both 45 acp and 45 colt for Rugers and the SW Governor and when I do not have the time I just buy the cheap Tullamo 45 acp and it works great. And for carry you can use 45 Plus P in the flat top for about 500 foot pounds, although I like the Hornady factory loads as well.

Lastly, you never know with fixed sights where your gun will shoot, so adjustable sights are necessary. Especially, if you get both cylinders, you will be able to sight it perfectly for one caliber, the other will likely always be a little different. I will never buy another single action with a fixed sight as I have had issues. You can bend the sight, you can file the sight or you can twist the barrel and maybe it will get you to point of aim or maybe not. Get the flat top and enjoy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I noticed a couple guys said they would never use the extra cylinder. Anyone want to sell one? I have both full size and flat tops. They say they must be fitted but I have had 2 in 9mm that fit multiple guns without an issue. Ship me a PM if you have one for sale. I have a couple without the extra cylinder and just like the option. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts