Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there is a chance that I might be heading south. And, not just for the winter. My wifes work asked her if we would would like to relocate to Virgina from Michigan (big promotion). I don't have a problem with it, as I do machinest work (they gotta have cnc's in Virgina too).

Any way, I am wondering if any of our members are familiar with Virgina's gun laws, ccw's, even registration procuderes.

Also, whats the weather like in the summer and winter. I'm guessing the icefishing is no good, but hows the hunting? We haven't said yes or no yet, but I want to make sure that I can be ok living there.

By the way, I'm thinking it will be outside the Richmond Area.

Thanks for any help.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lived in sterling, virginia for a while. While you are in your car you are required to place your pistol either on the dashboard or the seat next to you. Open carry is allowed. But I am unsure if there have been any changes in CCW since I lived there its been about five years now. But that state has been pretty good about limiting gun laws of recent. The white tail hunting is decent on the north western side of the state. The forrests are dense around this area all the way up through pennsylvania and west virginia. Full of wildlife but long shots are rare and few. Need good tracking skills and a willingness to chase or head off your prey. Its good hunting if you don't like the use of a tree stand and bait. If you prefer stands and bait its no different than anywhere else. But the whitetail there are pretty smart and if you spook them there is little to no chance of seeing them again. A light rifle will make the hunting in those dense forrests enjoyable. Only times I made it to richmond was to see the old battlefields. Wish I could be of more help for that area.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good news is Va. recognizes Mi. permit-bad news is only while visiting...when you move it's not good...gotta get a Va. It's "shall issue" there in Va,. open carry holstered and visible legal w/o permit...loaded handgun/rifles/shotguns may be carried in passenger compartment in plain view-no concealing allowed w/o permit..permit is 5 years for $50.00 as of Jan 05...no loaded centerfires with mag.capacity over 20 rounds while travelling through many of Va.'s urban areas....pretty good plan, looks like...
P.S. Summer may cause spontaneous ignition of primers...oh, sorry...that's not in the book:D

·
Registered
693 Posts
You'll be welcomed in here, Johngoboom! I bet Sheepdog has covered everything with pretty accurate precision. ;)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Come on down, snarski...we only had about 3 100 degree days this summer...winter you don't need a heavy coat...only use for snow scoops is shoveling b.s.---now that we got a lot of!!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Lived here in VA my whole life. Seems we get less snow than in the past, generally, but every few years we can get a couple decent storms. Winters, in my opinion, are much more moderate than summers, which can be very humid. Spring is beautiful, fall is the best but is short, as it should be. I fish but don't hunt. I have a friend who bow hunts for deer but I don't know how good it is. I'm about as far north as you can get and still be in Virginia, 3 hours north of Richmond.

I took a two day class at the NRA range and, with that, the permit was a breeze. No hassles.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yep Sheepdog the weather isnt the only thing good about Texas.Hope to hit Waco in late Oct for a visit. Will make sure Ive the boots and scoop. Good at shoveling.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts