Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, we have storage laws up here in Canada that makes getting to a handgun fast enough to make it at all useful, all but impossible.
Guns and ammo must be locked in separate containers, and trigger locks must be installed.
Silly
No, I have mine set up that I can be ready to rock n roll in thirty seconds. In the dark.
I'd like to do better. Both my containers use keys. Success depends on getting the keys.....fast.
Ideas?
Lyle

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
They do inspections to verify also I believe. Had the opportunity to live just outside Toronto for a couple of years. We loved it.

I like the container that has a place for fingers to slip in and you key combo with each finger. For quick when I need it I'm not so sure about low budget finger print scanner.

An app so I could unlock with my iPhone fingerprint would be cool but too slow in a crunch.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
First off, we have storage laws up here in Canada that makes getting to a handgun fast enough to make it at all useful, all but impossible.
Guns and ammo must be locked in separate containers, and trigger locks must be installed.
Silly
No, I have mine set up that I can be ready to rock n roll in thirty seconds. In the dark.
I'd like to do better. Both my containers use keys. Success depends on getting the keys.....fast.
Ideas?
Lyle
Be thankful that you don't live in Australia.....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you use one of the locks that enclose the action.
We can use the padlocks supplied, or a cable through the pipe lock. Anything that prevents a round from being chambered, as I understand it. Which is strange, because an improperly installed trigger lock allows this. And the gun can be discharged if the trigger lock is moved rearward.
We're not allowed the use of common sense.
Lyle

·
Registered
103 Posts
Could you leave the keys in the locks? No good of course if you actually need security, but if it's just security theater to comply with a particular requirement...

·
Registered
686 Posts
We have similar laws here in Belgium. I have my guns stored in a safe with number-combination (no trigger lock required when the guns are in a safe). Ammo is stored separately as I would not dare not respecting the law.

Keys are always in the wrong place and leaving them in the locks or close by gives no security (esp. with a kid around). That's why I have everything on number-combination locks.

All purely hypothetical off course, as I own guns for sports only, just as the law dictates :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought I would share this from a Canadian customer. He sent me this photo with the highlighted section and his interpretation of "safe" would include a handgun safe. Is there a better defined definition of a "safe" outlined in the law?

"Hi Glenn,
I just wanted to let you know that I received my safe. The weight, tolerances, fit, and finish of the safe are impressive.
I temporarily have it in my filing cabinet (standard office size) and the safe sits flush.
For your information, in Canada, handguns are unfortunately considered "Restricted Firearms." This means that we have to store them in a locked box like a Pelican with a trigger lock, or in a safe specifically designed for firearms. Your product allows Canadians like me not to have to deal with trigger locks that in my experience, do not work very well to begin with.
Thanks again! I will gladly recommend your product to my friends."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts