Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my LCR last night, and noticed the rounds seem, to me, to fit very loosely in the moon clips. One of the 5 on one of the moon clips seems to be looser than the rest as well, and has a feeling the round might just fall out. They rotate freely when clipped in, and rattle around. Is this amount of play normal with the moon clips?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The rounds in my Ruger 9mm moon clips are not super tight. The rounds can rotate when turned using fingers, but it doesn't feel like the round will fall out.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I bent mine with the moon clip tool but was able to straighten them out with a screw driver in the slots.
If you have one loose bullet, you may be able to correct it with a screw driver.
The OEM clips are looser than the aftermarket clips and can be easily loaded and unloaded without a moon clip tool.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. Unfortunately, one of the clips has one of the 5 openings that fails to retain the round and it falls out freely when ejected. I eject the clips from about 2 feet onto my couch and the round falls out. She placed back in, there is no positive "snap". Clip still lies flat on a hard surface

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed Ruger, but haven't heard back. I'm thinking of ordering some of the Ranch Products version to try them out too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The rounds need to be a little loose so you can insert the loaded clip into the gun easily.

But not so loose the rounds fall out.

If one of the clips from the factory is defective, I'm sure Ruger will send you a replacement.

·
12,955 Posts
I emailed Ruger, but haven't heard back. I'm thinking of ordering some of the Ranch Products version to try them out too.
I bought moon clips from Ranch.
They work fine but are much stiffer than the Ruger OEMs by design.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where did you order your ranch clips? Midway is out of stock, and only other website I found them charges more for shopping than the clips

·
12,955 Posts
Where did you order your ranch clips? Midway is out of stock, and only other website I found them charges more for shopping than the clips
I believe I may have posted an untrue statement.
I keep all receipts as PDF documents and I find nothing for Ranch Products.
I do find receipts for TK Custom moon clips -- $37.50 for 5
and from
ShopRuger
90460 LCR® 9mm Moon Clips 3 $44.85
and
Speed Beez through Amazon.com.
Delivered Jul 17, 2015
Your package was delivered.
Speed Beez Full Moon Clips Ruger LCR 5 shot 9mm (Package of 10)
Sold by: Speed Beez
$35.99
Condition: New

There is no significant difference between the TKCustom and Speed Beez moonclips, but the Ruger have the unique slit.

I believe there may have been a post about hoping Ranch Products would produce them in the future as their prices were good.

Sorry about the misinformation

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
Wait for Midway, hard to beat their prices. Add something extra that has free shipping to save $$$.

The Ranch clips work well although a tad tight. A moon clip tool works well, but I found that a wooden chopstick or similar diameter wooden dowel works too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up a lcr 9mm last week, only came with 2 well used Ruger clips. I found clips from a company called Speed Beez clips on Amazon. Anyone have experience with these? 10 count with a loading/unloading tool for 35.99
I will probably go ahead and order these and give them a "shot" :D
I'm not very impressed with the 2 ruger factory clips that I have. I know the factory clips for my s&w 640 pro series were flimsy, too.

Edit to add, just read abarrena's post, I will try the Speed Beez clips.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok I have my collection of 2 LCR's but not the 9mm LCR with loaded moon clip for pocket carry when out and about doing the CCW thing. How do you guys pack a loaded moon clip in a pocket?? The 9mm LCR does have some real advantage with ammo cost etc. Being cheaper to shoot then .38 Specials etc. I feel that my .38 Special does all that I want, but the thought of a 9 mm revolver seems like a good choice to add. I am not getting accustomed to CCW carry with cargo pants and a pocket holster.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me know how you like the speed bee clips.

I know the after markets are tighter. My though it to carry CCW with the tighter clips and use the ruger clips when I will be at the range loading and unloading a bunch. I won't carry a spare moon clip while on duty, but off duty I've just been sticking one in a pocket inverted in my safariland 357 speedloader and it's working well. Stayed out all week while washing car, doing yard work and hitting the driving range. And easy to access for reload. Although I have considered just grabbing a cheap, single stack 9mm magazine for a loader if needed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The rounds need to be a little loose so you can insert the loaded clip into the gun easily.

But not so loose the rounds fall out.

If one of the clips from the factory is defective, I'm sure Ruger will send you a replacement.
i bought a lcr 9mm just before christmas, it didn't have any clips with it. i called ruger and they sent me three, i got them in about a week but they had rust on them. i called ruger to see the best way to remove it. they recommended clp and soak them. it worked but they even sent me three more cause of the light rust. ruger is A+ in customer service in my book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let me know how you like the speed bee clips.

I know the after markets are tighter. My though it to carry CCW with the tighter clips and use the ruger clips when I will be at the range loading and unloading a bunch. I won't carry a spare moon clip while on duty, but off duty I've just been sticking one in a pocket inverted in my safariland 357 speedloader and it's working well. Stayed out all week while washing car, doing yard work and hitting the driving range. And easy to access for reload. Although I have considered just grabbing a cheap, single stack 9mm magazine for a loader if needed.
Will do, hopefully they will be considerably tighter than factory. Most of the factory clips seem too loose to be used for ccw.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've not had any problems with the loaded (factory) moon clip in my pocket. Been carrying one in my left front pocket for months, never had one lose a round or get bent. Some ammo seems to fit looser than others but all stay put in the clip.

·
12,955 Posts
I prefer the OEM Ruger moon clips and protect them from loss.
They are far more flexible and easier to insert and remove shells without a tool.
I have a dozen OEMs but continue to buy the Speed Beez clips and use them at Raahauge's for the month end club, revolver class and other classes I will be taking because the possibility of losing them is high and they are less expensive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok I have my collection of 2 LCR's but not the 9mm LCR with loaded moon clip for pocket carry when out and about doing the CCW thing. How do you guys pack a loaded moon clip in a pocket?? The 9mm LCR does have some real advantage with ammo cost etc. Being cheaper to shoot then .38 Specials etc. I feel that my .38 Special does all that I want, but the thought of a 9 mm revolver seems like a good choice to add. I am not getting accustomed to CCW carry with cargo pants and a pocket holster.
I chose the LCR in .38 Special over the 9mm for the same reason you are grappling with. I am a user of moon clips in .45 ACP revolvers going back many years. They are a great thing.....but not particularly for concealed carry. They get in a pocket and the clips get bent, or pocket lint or something gets in there that may prevent a proper fast reload. Obviously for CCW carriers on the belt are not a realistic option. Someone else may come up with a dodge for this problem, mine was to go .38 and carry a couple of Bianchi Speed Strips for extra ammo— nice and compact & flat.

·
12,955 Posts
I chose the LCR in .38 Special over the 9mm for the same reason you are grappling with. I am a user of moon clips in .45 ACP revolvers going back many years. They are a great thing.....but not particularly for concealed carry. They get in a pocket and the clips get bent, or pocket lint or something gets in there that may prevent a proper fast reload. Obviously for CCW carriers on the belt are not a realistic option. Someone else may come up with a dodge for this problem, mine was to go .38 and carry a couple of Bianchi Speed Strips for extra ammo– nice and compact & flat.
There is no way I could conceal carry a .45 ACP revolver or semi-auto.
The circumference, diameter and weight of a moon clip loaded with six .45 ACP rounds is significant.
A moon clip loaded with 5 rounds of 9mm is smaller lighter and easy to conceal.
I carry two loaded moon clips for my LCR9 with none of the problems you mention.
You made the right choice for your needs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts