Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - I thought I would offer my first impressions of my relatively new (bought in December) 5.5 inch Redhawk in 357. I've taken to the range 3 times and I've put 150 rounds through so far. In terms of background, I'm the proud owner of a GP100 in 357, GP100 in 22lr, and a LCR in 22LR.

Finish/Aesthetics - The stainless steel finish is flawless. The high gloss wood grips actually look nicer in person than they do in the photos. Love the classic lines on this one....IMHO, the Redhawks and the Security/Service/Speed six revolvers are the sexiest in the Ruger double action line up and are up there with the prettiest that S&W etc. have to offer.

Grips/feel - My first double action revolver is my GP100 that came with the grooved Hogue rubber grips. I quickly became hooked on these and even though I have tried numerous other grips from Altamont and the Ruger/Lett grips that come on the GP 22lr, none of these had the solid feel that I could get with the stock rubber Hogue grips. The wood grips on the Redhawk feel as good as any wood grip I've ever felt, but I still don't grip the gun as tightly as I can with the rubber Hogues. The gun doesn't move around that much on me, but I usually only shoot 38 special +Ps anyway. They are just so darned beautiful that I'm leaving them alone for now.

Trigger - when I first got it, I noticed that it was the smoothest double action trigger I have felt from my collection new out of the box. But the pull was exceedingly long....much longer than I've seen on my GP100s. Even though I think it was a heavy pull, the smoothness made it more manageable. Through firing and dry firing, it has either lightened up some, or I've become more used to it...but the long pull doesn't bother me like it did at first.

Sights - it has a standard blade adjustable rear sight, and a black/orange front blade. The orange really pops with these sights and I have yet to encounter a situation where I wanted a fiber optic like my 22lr GP has.

Accuracy - I usually shoot all of my double action revolvers in double action, and I have equalled the best accuracy of any sessions I've ever had with my other guns. The guy I let try this is a real marksman, and he drilled the targets with only 3 shots, and noted how the sights were right on right out of the box.

All in all, I couldn't be more tickled with this revolver. I think it would make a great home defense/range gun, and I'm using it for both right now.

However I would like to ask the forum for some tips/advice when it comes to cleaning. This gun is HUGE and it has a couple of physical features which have raised cleaning questions/concerns that I never had before:

- This revolver has the "shroud and sleeve" barrel which looks nice, but removing all of the carbon has become a real issue. See picture. For my other revolvers, I soak a rage in solvent and continue gently wiping the end of the muzzle until the carbon comes clean. I've tried similarly here but some carbon is still quite visible. I've read you should always be careful about the muzzle with respect to scratching, etc, so I've been hesitant to try anything any more rough than this. Any suggestions?

- This huge revolver has a HUGE cylinder. It seems almost twice as big as the GP100 cylinder. Well the combination of the 8 shots and the large cylinder equals that you can really see the burn marks on the front of the cylinder. After my last trip, I finally removed them with some Mothers Mag, but I've seen others who do it with a Scotchbrite pad, etc. My smaller revolvers have burn rings that are far less noticeable, and I never touched them before. My question for you folks is: how often do you remove the burn rings from your cylinders? It is just so much more obvious on this revolver than the others that I have in my collection

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
None of my pictures would come through...sorry about that. I tried reducing the size and all uploads failed. Oh well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stainless Cleaning.

Birchwood Casey, Pro-Shot and others sell lead-away cloths that do a great job for burn rings on stainless guns. You can shine all stainless parts of your gun with them. DO NOT USE ON BLUED GUNS OR YOUR SIGHTS!
Also you can use a bronze tooth brush and bore solvent to remove most burn marks, even the muzzle.
I use both methods as they are low abrasion.
Best of luck with your new gun!

·
Registered
229 Posts
With the handloads I was using, I got CRAZY leading after a few cylinders. I have no idea what you mean about this type of barrel being hard to clean. I always just scrub my barrels out with a bore brush for a long long time.

The square butt has too much steel on the bottom for my taste. I'm used to my round butt redawk. I like the stock grips on it, though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
boneuphtoner, thank you for the review.

Are you experiencing any ftf, when shooting in double action?

What brands of ammo are you shooting?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2ndson, I only shoot double action, and everything I have fed it thus far has gone bang every time. I've shot some Buffalo 38 special, Fiocchi 357, and Fiocchi 38 wadcutters. Zero FTF....why do you ask? The only time my older and more well used GP100 had FTF was when I first started reloading and was using CCI primers. Maybe one time out of a 100 and only when using that stuff. Everything else has been perfect.

·
Super Moderator
21,245 Posts
I use Mothers Mag to take the burn rings off the face of stainless cylinders.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Hi Folks - I thought I would offer my first impressions of my relatively new (bought in December) 5.5 inch Redhawk in 357. I've taken to the range 3 times and I've put 150 rounds through so far. In terms of background, I'm the proud owner of a GP100 in 357, GP100 in 22lr, and a LCR in 22LR.

Finish/Aesthetics - The stainless steel finish is flawless. The high gloss wood grips actually look nicer in person than they do in the photos. Love the classic lines on this one....IMHO, the Redhawks and the Security/Service/Speed six revolvers are the sexiest in the Ruger double action line up and are up there with the prettiest that S&W etc. have to offer.

Grips/feel - My first double action revolver is my GP100 that came with the grooved Hogue rubber grips. I quickly became hooked on these and even though I have tried numerous other grips from Altamont and the Ruger/Lett grips that come on the GP 22lr, none of these had the solid feel that I could get with the stock rubber Hogue grips. The wood grips on the Redhawk feel as good as any wood grip I've ever felt, but I still don't grip the gun as tightly as I can with the rubber Hogues. The gun doesn't move around that much on me, but I usually only shoot 38 special +Ps anyway. They are just so darned beautiful that I'm leaving them alone for now.

Trigger - when I first got it, I noticed that it was the smoothest double action trigger I have felt from my collection new out of the box. But the pull was exceedingly long....much longer than I've seen on my GP100s. Even though I think it was a heavy pull, the smoothness made it more manageable. Through firing and dry firing, it has either lightened up some, or I've become more used to it...but the long pull doesn't bother me like it did at first.

Sights - it has a standard blade adjustable rear sight, and a black/orange front blade. The orange really pops with these sights and I have yet to encounter a situation where I wanted a fiber optic like my 22lr GP has.

Accuracy - I usually shoot all of my double action revolvers in double action, and I have equalled the best accuracy of any sessions I've ever had with my other guns. The guy I let try this is a real marksman, and he drilled the targets with only 3 shots, and noted how the sights were right on right out of the box.

All in all, I couldn't be more tickled with this revolver. I think it would make a great home defense/range gun, and I'm using it for both right now.

However I would like to ask the forum for some tips/advice when it comes to cleaning. This gun is HUGE and it has a couple of physical features which have raised cleaning questions/concerns that I never had before:

- This revolver has the "shroud and sleeve" barrel which looks nice, but removing all of the carbon has become a real issue. See picture. For my other revolvers, I soak a rage in solvent and continue gently wiping the end of the muzzle until the carbon comes clean. I've tried similarly here but some carbon is still quite visible. I've read you should always be careful about the muzzle with respect to scratching, etc, so I've been hesitant to try anything any more rough than this. Any suggestions?

- This huge revolver has a HUGE cylinder. It seems almost twice as big as the GP100 cylinder. Well the combination of the 8 shots and the large cylinder equals that you can really see the burn marks on the front of the cylinder. After my last trip, I finally removed them with some Mothers Mag, but I've seen others who do it with a Scotchbrite pad, etc. My smaller revolvers have burn rings that are far less noticeable, and I never touched them before. My question for you folks is: how often do you remove the burn rings from your cylinders? It is just so much more obvious on this revolver than the others that I have in my collection
Thanks for this. I have the 5033 2 3/4" barrel but have yet to shoot it. Planned and the range was closed when I got there. I plan to get the entire set. By the way, how was it to have the extra 8 shot when you could have been out instead?

·
Registered
461 Posts
2ndson, I only shoot double action, and everything I have fed it thus far has gone bang every time. I've shot some Buffalo 38 special, Fiocchi 357, and Fiocchi 38 wadcutters. Zero FTF....why do you ask?
Some Redhawks have issues w/FTF. My Redhawk ( a 45 Colt) would fire fine in single action, but double action caused FTF w/ various types of ammo(all factory new...no reloads)
It seamed especially troublesome if I staged the hammer when shooting double action.
My Redhawk has had 2 trips back to Ruger for this problem. I have not had time to "proof it" at the range since receiving it back the 2nd time.
Some of the common cures are stronger springs, grinding/re facing the hammer and installing a extended firing pin. Alas, Ruger will do none of these things.

Even after the frustration, I still love this gun and Redhawks in general.

I am glad to hear that yours runs fine. Maybe Ruger has put this issue behind them with these new 357's.
Your gun is on my "short list" of guns to have. I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know where I can purchase a Refhawk model 5060? The 8 shot .357 model. Having a hard time finding one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts