Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quickie Mag Mod for Mini-14 Mag/5

Aside from the localities that restrict capacity to five rounds, there are those who for one reason or another, would like to have greater capacity, but like the carrying of a flush five round magazine.

As you are aware, the 5 round magazine is actually a 4 capacity, allowing one in the chamber to satisfy legal requirements.

The actual magazine capacity can be increased to up to six rounds in seconds, making the gun's capacity seven, which is indeed a nice upgrade, for free. This modification will not comply with certain locales or hunting laws, so proceed only if lawful in your area.

This applies only to the flush Ruger 5-shot (4 actual) MAG/5 magazine.

1. Disassemble magazine.
  2. Remove follower.
  3. Note fin on underside of follower.
  4. Clip ONLY the small 1/8th inch raised section of fin at original angle. Do NOT cut deeper in an attempt to make more rounds fit, or feed issues will result.
  5. Reassemble magazine.
  6. Load with six rounds.
  7. Enjoy.

I perform this on every one of the five round magazines I own, with the exception of those I bring hunting, and I love the way it handles in the field.

Reactions: TMB

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good idea. The 5 rnd mags fit perfect in the M1 Carbine mag pouches too.
I wasn't aware of that! I'll have to look for a couple. Thank for the hint!

Reactions: TMB

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to ask if it was the type that goes on the stock... great news. Thanks again and I'm glad you got your mag working.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
GunBlue when you say clip 1/8 inch of the raised section & at the same angle are you using a tin snip to clip the raised section how long of piece do you clip out? This sounds like a good idea because I prefer a flush fit on a magazine on my Mini makes me want to get more stock mags now!

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Good info to know. It will come in handy I'm afraid to say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts