Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating purchasing the Quickload reloading software. Looking for info from current users.

In my research, much mention is made of using it to develop rifle loads.

How is it for handgun loads? Any barrel length restrictions, i.e what is the shortest barrel length one can use?

Any other comments out there about using it for handgun loads?

Any thoughts or comments welcomed.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I use it for both rifle and handgun loads. There isn't any barrel length restrictions because you enter the barrel length yourself. So it'll work for a 1.8" revolver or a 24" rifle.

I find the most use in it for figuring out safe loads using powders that no published data exists for a caliber. An example could be 300 blk with faster burning handgun powders in my bolt action ruger.

Another thing I use it a lot for is to double check published data because sometimes what's listed as a max load really isn't. It also helps you to find safe loads when you start seating bullets to different depths.

·
Registered
408 Posts
SafetyJoe gave you the only uses I can see for pistol loads. And based on my experience it is only grossly accurate when trying to calculate maximum loads. If Quickload says a load is under the pressure max, rest assured it will not blow up your gun. Whether its the "real" max also depends on your chamber and specific batch of powder.

For rifles, the same things apply. If you are wildcatting or somewhat off the beaten trail, QL can help. One place it CAN be useful is if you follow the Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) system for developing loads described by Dan Newberry. This involves learning when the bullet actually leaves the muzzle so that you can match that barrel time with the optimum oscillation of the barrel.

As you can guess by now, IMO QL is not much use unless you have a specific need off the beaten path.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I bought the Quickload package recently.
It is overpriced and incomplete.

Many of the new powders are not included in the database, nor will they ever be.
I contacted the author who told me the powder makers refuse to provide the necessary parameters for inclusion in Quickload.

For example, I was interested in IMR Red, which was introduced in 2016.
Not in the database.
QL is "overpriced" because it is not complete.

QL is very flexible, and very useful once you get familiar with it.
You will find that QL rarely agrees with the pressure and FPS of a given load in the Hodgdon tables.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,264 Posts
I've been using QuickLOAD for many years and found it has a wealth of information. Here's the caveat: WARNING: QuickLOAD is a computer simulation of centerfire cartridge performance. YOU MUST NEVER just “plug in the numbers” and use QuickLOAD’s output for a load recipe. That is foolish and dangerous. There are many reasons why the data QuickLOAD generates may not be safe in YOUR gun.

That said, it's fantastic for doing "what if's" with established loads from a reloading manual …. like changing bullet seating depth to see what happens to chamber pressure or using a different style bullet with the same weight as another bullet. Mostly I use it for estimating chamber pressure to match with lead bullet hardness and find it is very close when you adjust the factors. As an example, QuickLOAD assumes an unvented pistol or rifle barrel …. not a revolver barrel so you have to make adjustments for actual bullet travel and the B/C gap. I found each .001" of B/C gap accounts for a loss of 1.5% of the muzzle velocity.

A revolver has a true barrel length plus about 1/2" extra bullet travel in the cylinder throat. So a revolver with a 6" barrel actually has about 6 1/2" of bullet travel whereas a pistol with a 6" barrel will have about 5" because the cartridge takes up some space. Once you make these adjustments, velocity will track pretty close with most powders. QuickLOAD assumes a standard primer so if you use magnum primers, likely the stats will be a bit low.

Some of the handy features are ….there are 1500 cartridges, more than 270 powders and 2500 bullets listed, each with SAAMI, and/or CIP pressure standards. Wildcats are also listed but don't have established SAAMI specs. You can design your own bullet if you want. Yes, there are a few powders missing so I can see dissatisfaction if a powder you use is not listed, however every powder I use is listed so I'm a happy camper. It is an expensive program but it also includes "Quick TARGET", which is a powerful program that predicts downrange external ballistics statistics.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I use QL to help with a wildcat load development, it is just one of several information sources though none speak directly to the cartridge. As with others it is very interesting to watch the interaction of seating depth and bullet manufacturer with pressure. So far it has done well I still have all my fingers and both eyes and no distorted chambers!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes to all of above and handy for both. I think it is fun too. BTW, software estimates Load & PSI changes based on temps, interesting to forecast, especially when gun starts heating up at the range.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input.

I decided Quickload was for me. I have a copy on the way.

Again, thank you everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I sent NECO a email and he offered to check and see if a powder is on the new update. The main one I was after was Win AutoComp and it is not on the new update.

He said there is no mater list avail. but if there is one or two you are after just ask him.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I heard back from NECO.

They have no new IMR powders in their database.
She said they still show Trail Boss as an IMR powder, even though it is now shown online as a Hodgdon powder.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,264 Posts
bgavin, Do you think your revolver will shoot differently with IMR Trail Boss than it does with Hodgdon Trail Boss?

My take on QuickLOAD …. I never use it to develop loads but I do use it in conjunction with data from established reloading manuals. When new powders come out, sometimes it takes several years for data to show up in reloading manuals. Sometimes reloading data never shows up for a specific powder. This tells me some powders just aren't all they are cracked up to be. With all the different powders on the market, there is usually an abundance of data available. If I can't find data, I just don't buy the powder.

·
Registered
785 Posts
bgavin, Do you think your revolver will shoot differently with IMR Trail Boss than it does with Hodgdon Trail Boss?
I realize you are in the gunsmith business and not the software business, so I can overlook the snarky remark and chalk it up to ignorance.
A product priced as high as Quickload, should take the basic steps to keep their data labels accurate. Especially when they charge for updates and don't even bother to publish what is IN those updates.

This lack of follow through is typical of a developer who has lost interest in maintaining the product, and just does the bare minimum required to issue another fee-based upgrade.

And yes, I have been in the software business every bit as long as you have been a gunsmith.
Like you, I am also superb at my craft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.