Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a muzzle break type devise that does a good job of noise reduction, for the 22 lr, without requiring a tax stamp?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone found a muzzle break type devise that does a good job of noise reduction, for the 22 lr, without requiring a tax stamp?
Muzzle brake doesn’t make a gun shoot quieter. In fact many say the opposite. Use subsonic ammo, that’ll make it quieter. The best thing is to buy a suppressor and wait forever to get it approved. A suppressor and subsonic makes it air gun quiet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Muzzle brake doesn’t make a gun shoot quieter. In fact many say the opposite. Use subsonic ammo, that’ll make it quieter. The best thing is to buy a suppressor and wait forever to get it approved. A suppressor and subsonic makes it air gun quiet.
Hickock45 made a suppressor with an oil filter. Not saying you should, but you can get those from autozone
That is a temporary suppressor which will still need an ATF form 1 to build. They do work though.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
I had a blast diverter on a 9mm carbine. I saw one on the new S&W .223 pistol. I don't know if there is one for a 22LR. Look on Joe Bob Outfitters. I bought the 9mm diverter from them. It only pushes the noise forward. Suppressor is the way to go if you really want to quiet down the noise.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Look into linear compensators. They are designed to send the muzzle blast down range. Not necessarily quieter other than diverting the sound away from the shooter. If it is quiet you want a can is the best choice. At this time the wait is 5 to 8 months.

·
Registered
245 Posts
CCI Quiets.
CC's got it absolutely right ....CCI .22LR Quiets ..They are full size 22 long rifle with 40grain slug at 710fps ..they will shoot thru a 2X4 and kill a raccoon stone cold dead at 30 yards ..out of a bolt action this round is quieter than my RWS break barrel .177 target rifle ..The Quiets come in two models semi-auto (which I have not used but I understand are a bit louder than the "standard")

Bear

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Remington 22 Shorts I have are just as loud cci mini mags. Best way without going to stamp/suppressoer is find long barreled 22 perferably 24" +. Cz has a 28" barrel that makes mini mags quiet. A 22 lr expends all its gas at roughly 16" of barrel lengths so by the time it traveled 24"+ it is subsonic.

·
Registered
824 Posts
CC's got it absolutely right ....CCI .22LR Quiets ..They are full size 22 long rifle with 40grain slug at 710fps ..they will shoot thru a 2X4 and kill a raccoon stone cold dead at 30 yards ..out of a bolt action this round is quieter than my RWS break barrel .177 target rifle ..The Quiets come in two models semi-auto (which I have not used but I understand are a bit louder than the "standard")

Bear
I have used them on racoon in traps and up close would not penetrate and kill humanely without them squealing even louder until i got the pellet rifle out. My nephew destroyed his Marlin 22 shoot them CCI quiet ammo as they got stuck in the barrel and he didn't know. Bulge the barrel with 5 rounds jammed up .

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have used them on racoon in traps and up close would not penetrate and kill humanely without them squealing even louder until i got the pellet rifle out. My nephew destroyed his Marlin 22 shoot them CCI quiet ammo as they got stuck in the barrel and he didn't know. Bulge the barrel with 5 rounds jammed up .
Well Phish ..sorry for your results but here is MY basis of reliability ..we have been covered up by raccoons for 4 or 5 years.. to the point we even quit our bird feeders several years ago to hopefully not have to take action against the critters ..I started with a live trap and would haul a raccoon to the nearby state park every morning ..then we started running into them in the day time on porches and crap everywhere) ..in the flower beds (digging) and garden etc ..I was catching(live trap) raccoons so big I could not carry the cage ..there was hair and raccoon sticking out of the live trap mesh everywhere and no this was a big trap!

The heck with this I say.. bought and set 6 (six) dog proof traps and baited them with cheap dry cat food ..next morning six for six !!!..next morning four for six ...next morning three for six ...the next week or ten days one or more!

We and our grand kids can now safely venture out on to our porches and yard of an evening (terrible fear of a rabbid raccoon nailing one of the kids)

The system of dispatch was real simple.. I raised my second floor bedroom window ..took the screen out..took a knee using the window sill for a rest ..took my Remington clip fed bolt action .22 rifle and depending on which way they were turned shot them in the ear or eye stone cold butt dead..no noise to speak of from either participants ..end of discussion for me but others may very well have various and different outcomes such as you had.

I am sorry about your kinfolk but I've got to believe his barrel must have been fouled in some manner(like spider eggs, gun case stuffing etc) prior to him introducing the CCI Quiet to his .22 ..I cannot comment on the stacking 5 in the barrel as I was not there to understand the external conditions that would lead to that many in one barrel

The Quiets are hard to find so if you by chance have a quantity you wish to get rid of please PM me ..I would love to have them!

Be safe and healthy to all
Bear

1 - 19 of 19 Posts