Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OM BH .357's front sight is crooked on the barrel and tilted to the left. You can even see a gap between the sight body and the barrel on the right rear corner.

How hard is it to unsolder and resolder these sights?
I'm not worried about the finish on this revolver, it's already seen a lot of use, and I don't have the funds to pay a gunsmith now. I just want the sight straight.

Thanks for any advice,

Joe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe Iowegan will jump in on this but i'd heat it from inside the barrel with a pencil type torch. The sight might be bent or just pulled up from the barrel. The professor will know for sure. I use one of thoes little propane lighter type tourches for tight work.
Eric

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,039 Posts
J Miller, If indeed the sight base is crocked and it's not because the barrel is not threaded in properly, you can heat it up with a propane torch and true up the sight base. Apply heat inside the barrel's muzzle, not directly on the sight.

I would remove the grips and place the grip frame in a padded vice where the barrel is perfectly level. This will hold the gun where the front sight is top dead center and level. Apply a little silver solder flux when the silver solder melts. The sight should settle in squared and straight. A needle nose pliers may be needed to help move the sight.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iowegan,

Thanks for the information.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts