Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 22/45 MK3 Hunter number 10160 on the way to me now. This will be used for range shooting 10 to 50 yards and some plinking in the fields. I will be installing a red dot sight. I currently have a Trijicon 3.25 moa rmr on my M&P9 Performance Center Ported and I love it. I'm 50 and my eyes appreciate the help of the red dot.
My question is, what mounting system is recommended for the 10160 Hunter and do the mounting systems allow you to co-witness with the stock sights.
Lastly, I figured that I should buy another Trijicon since I already have one on my other gun. Does anyone have any other suggestions on a high end red dot for this gun?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I can't remember if the 22/45 comes with a rail or not, but they are available. Put the Ruger rail on the upper receiver and the FFII comes with a picatinny mount.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The low riding sights on the Ruger 22/45 typically do not allow for co-witnessing of the irons when using any form of optic. As you can see here (not my pic), the rail base, mount, and optic frame are considerably taller than the sights themselves:

The factory provided rail and a pic-rail adapter that comes with the RMR is the easiest method.

I'm not sure if the equivalent is available for the RMR, but there are Burris mounts for the FastFire that replace the rear sight, which offers a little cleaner look to the rig - making the sight look much more integrated to the pistol (also not my pic):

The RMR is a fantastic red dot, and I'm a huge fan of the dual illuminated version. The aiming dot is a little big for precision work - I have 7MOA and 9MOA RMR's for defensive pistols, rifles, and revolvers, but for precision work, I use Burris FastFire II & III's with smaller reticle dots, with a couple C-More sights, Bushnell TRS-25, and Ultradot Match Dot's mixed in.

Depending upon what you want to do with the pistol, I'd go with what you're familiar with - the RMR - but encourage you to take a look at the Burris FastFire and see if it tickles your fancy. If you're looking for supreme precision, the Ultradot Match Dot is a good option also, but a different style altogether.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Here's my MKIIIS Target with Fast Fire III. I took the rear sight off so the rail wouldn't be hanging out over the barrel.

Too high to cowitness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool. Thank you all for the input. I will look into the Fast Fire 2. The Ultradot Match Dot also looks intriguing. Most Match Dot users recommend changing the stock mounting rings and installing it on a quick change mount. Does anyone have information and or experience with upgraded rings and a quick change mount?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Very cool. Thank you all for the input. I will look into the Fast Fire 2. The Ultradot Match Dot also looks intriguing. Most Match Dot users recommend changing the stock mounting rings and installing it on a quick change mount. Does anyone have information and or experience with upgraded rings and a quick change mount?
I don't believe there's any reason to install a QD mount for a Match Dot if you're not competing with it, or don't have a desire to swap back to irons quickly. The driving reason that many Match Dot shooters use QD mounts - as you referenced - is to allow them to suit different match/competition requirements. It's an advantage to be able to use the same pistol for multiple classes at the same shoot, in which case shooters will pull the Match dot for ironsight classes.

If you're NOT competing in this fashion, then the advantage of a QD mount would be lost for you.

Some hunters would also favor QD mounts to allow them to remove the Match Dot optic so they can use the open sights in certain conditions (i.e. low light, or extreme high light). Most of the time, I don't subscribe to this paradigm - I use the same optic/sights day or night.

So similarly to the competitors, if you don't feel compelled to change sights for hunting, you don't need a QD mount.

I've been very happy with Leupold, Alaska Arms, Talley, and Warne QD rings with picatinny bases/mounts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wound up installing a FF2 and running 300 rounds through it yesterday. It doesn't seem to like Winchester Super X at all. It ate up the CCI tactical like it was made for the gun.
I truly appreciate all of the input from everyone. Thank you all so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts